IEM with the sound of HD600s?
May 4, 2006 at 3:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

minasoko

New Head-Fier
I'm pretty unsatisfied with my current IEMs, the Shure E4Cs, and entirely satisfied with my HD600s. The HD600s sound the most "right" to me out of all of my headphones, and I reach for them most often. E4Cs are just lacking in pretty much every department for me, I must not be a fan of their sound signature or something...

Unfortunately, the HD600s are open, which doesn't really bode well for listening on long flights, which is why I bought IEMs.
600smile.gif
So I'd like recommendations for an IEM that sounds closest to the HD600.

Thanks for any advice
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #3 of 21
I'm a huge fan of the 600s and the only IEMS I've found I like a lot are the E5Cs (I've tried everything under $200 from Shure, Ety, and UE).

They're still much more forward than the 600s, and don't have the soundstage the 600s have (by any stretch), but they're the best IEMs I've heard so far.

It's a tall order trying to match the 600s with this class of phone (IEMs).

I'm not sure if that helps you much, and I haven't heard any of the Westones, so there you go.

May 4, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #4 of 21
DT880, HD600(, HD580 jubilee) and the ES2 are thé phones for me, the ES2 can be molded to suit your needs, their universal brothers (um2) tend to be to dark for me. I have had the ES2 and the HD600 for over 2 years now, ok so I sold the HD600 for a pair of HD580 jubilee but that is just looks
wink.gif

The first IEM's that gave me the full hifi feeling were and are the ES2's, but I don't know anything about the ultimate ears or sensaphonics; all I can tell that HD600 sound is very very expensive with IEM's.

by molding the ES2 sound I mean they are great with EQ's

May 4, 2006 at 11:26 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naris
I happen to find the UM2s are similar to the HD600s that I have. A bit inferior in SQ, but not by a whole lot. They also require a slight use of EQ to your tastes.

those UM's can be shaped with different types of tips as well, I never tried anything but comply tips since I loved their isolation and comfort, that can be a a factor why I find them (UM2) to be dark; they are high end IEM's for sure.

May 5, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #8 of 21
I can understand why you don't like the E4c. Its sonics are very different from the HD600. I started with the HD600, and discovered my preferences were more towards the E4c (or SA5000, for a full sized headphone equivalent.)

Still, I loved my HD600 and fondly remember trying many IEM with the HD600 as my reference. I also recommend many of the IEM other people mention here. None sound as good as the HD600, but they share sonic traits, as having a warmer, fuller sound. Exaggerated bass. Treble/detail that isn't pushed in your face.

The ones I'd recommend to a HD600 fan are as follows:

Shure E500
Shure E5c
Sensaphonics 2X-S
Westone UM2

I haven't heard the ES2, so have no opinion.

Stay away from the Etymotics ER4P/S. It'll disappoint you the same way the E4c do.

If you really are limited in budget, you can get the UE super.fi 5 Pro as it also has a warmer, fuller sound. I'm not a fan of this IEM, but there are others who love it. I think it might lack some of the transparency/resolution that your HD600 gives though.

If you have the money, I'd say get the E500 or Sensaphonics. After that, the UM2 are plenty nice.

E5c are pretty good, and were my IEM of choice for a long time. But eventually I found myself disappointed with the sound and upgraded to the Sensaphonics. Nowadays, I think trying to save for the E500 or saving $ and getting the UM2 is the better option than the E5c.

Best,

-Jason

May 5, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #9 of 21
Shure E500's are the ones you should be thinking about. I think everything else besides customs will disappoint you if you want to approach the HD600 sound.

May 5, 2006 at 12:07 PM Post #10 of 21
Wow, thanks so much for your responses, everyone! You've all really pointed me in the right direction. Looks like I'll be waiting for everyone's E500 impressions (although I'm kind of afraid of going with Shure again) and doing more UM2 research in the meantime.

Doesn't seem like my decision will be an easy or cheap one. With Head-Fi, is it ever?
tongue.gif

Thanks again for all of your help.
600smile.gif

May 5, 2006 at 1:05 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by minasoko
Wow, thanks so much for your responses, everyone! You've all really pointed me in the right direction. Looks like I'll be waiting for everyone's E500 impressions (although I'm kind of afraid of going with Shure again) and doing more UM2 research in the meantime.

Doesn't seem like my decision will be an easy or cheap one. With Head-Fi, is it ever?
tongue.gif

600smile.gif

If it helps at all, I absolutely hated the E2c and dislike IEMs in general, but enjoyed the E500 at the national meet. I'd wait for the version without the "Push to Hear" feature though... that thing had a very poor microphone and a negative impact on the sound quality. I suspect it's cheaply made. The E500 IEMs though are absolute tops. Really really satisfying sound.

May 5, 2006 at 1:21 PM Post #12 of 21
From what I understand, the PTH is modular, correct? So you might as well get a pair as soon as you can, try out the PTH, and if you don't like it, sell the module on here to someone who wants it. Other hearsay in another thread around here said that Shure won't be selling individual PTH modules until well after the e500's been around, so if that proves to be true, you have a win-win situation...

May 5, 2006 at 1:24 PM Post #13 of 21
I am an iem fan and am currently using an Altec IM716. I also love the HD600 sound. I am holding off getting current iems as an upgrade until I can audition the E500.

May 5, 2006 at 1:27 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by mateo05
From what I understand, the PTH is modular, correct? So you might as well get a pair as soon as you can, try out the PTH, and if you don't like it, sell the module on here to someone who wants it. Other hearsay in another thread around here said that Shure won't be selling individual PTH modules until well after the e500's been around, so if that proves to be true, you have a win-win situation...

Correct. The Shure people did say that they'd be selling the E500 without it not too long after though, and if you're patient and want to save money, that's the way to go. I don't know how much of the price it'll shave off, however.

May 5, 2006 at 1:57 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by minasoko
tongue.gif

600smile.gif

The E5 and UM2 could be satisfying, but with the E500, and Superfi XXX coming around the corner, it's worth waiting for. Since you already have IEM's that you can still use, you don't need to rush things and make the right choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back