IEM with the best Imaging and sound stage?
Mar 19, 2022 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Vallenium

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for an IEM with the best imaging and the biggest sound stage. Basically I want to be able to picture a whole orchestra if need be. I know open backs are much better, but given circumstances, I need the passive isolation, not to mention my head just starts to burn with any headphone.

Mar 20, 2022 at 12:07 AM Post #2 of 32
I'm looking for an IEM with the best imaging and the biggest sound stage. Basically I want to be able to picture a whole orchestra if need be. I know open backs are much better, but given circumstances, I need the passive isolation, not to mention my head just starts to burn with any headphone.

What's your budget for this IEM?

Open backed headphones as you say (in general) give better soundstage than IEMs, but if you find headphones too hot or clampy, one option is to consider trying earbuds (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/). Earbuds are like mini open backed headphones but are relatively cheap. Like $10 USD can get one decent sound, and $50 - 100 is considered Midfi for earbuds, TOTL is $100 - 200ish.

Mar 20, 2022 at 1:05 AM Post #3 of 32
What's your budget for this IEM?

Open backed headphones as you say (in general) give better soundstage than IEMs, but if you find headphones too hot or clampy, one option is to consider trying earbuds (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/). Earbuds are like mini open backed headphones but are relatively cheap. Like $10 USD can get one decent sound, and $50 - 100 is considered Midfi for earbuds, TOTL is $100 - 200ish.
Under 1.5k I've owned TOTL earbuds before (Astrotec Lyras) The fit was awful for me and the sound wasn't that good tbh. I've also heard the Audeze open backs and the Nightingale by AAW which was probably one of the most interesting sounding things I've heard (it feels dark, not bass heavy but everything felt dark) Also, I do want the isolation. I've been looking at campfire audio's OG Solaris and SE and also the Andromeda 2020 as well as the Mest Mk2 and the Monarch MK2, but was wondering if there was anything out there. IEM wise, I personally own the JH Audio Roxannes v2, but they honestly sound well, not as resolving or clear as I'd like.

Mar 20, 2022 at 4:39 AM Post #4 of 32
Headphones set your head on fire- Meaning too warm/hot for comfort?

I'd add IER-Z1R to the list of options (though IDK if maxing out budget is strictly necessary to max out presentation).

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #6 of 32
way too hot, but I also need the isolation. Not a fan of the sony house sound tbh

Which Sonys have you heard or what tonality are you looking for? I prefer M9 tonally* but among IEMs that provide some isolation, Z1R soundstage is as good as I've used. (tbh not that many of late)

Only demo'd original Andro - soundstage IIRC is quite good- never compared directly but I think I'd place between Z1R and M9 (disliked Andro tonally, 2020 FR graph looks a bit more appealing).

*(actually prefer a slightly cooler/upper mid focused sig- which Z1R has, but find M9's overall balance preferable)

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #7 of 32
Which Sonys have you heard or what tonality are you looking for? I prefer M9 tonally* but among IEMs that provide some isolation, Z1R soundstage is as good as I've used. (tbh not that many of late)

Only demo'd original Andro - soundstage IIRC is quite good- never compared directly but I think I'd place between Z1R and M9 (disliked Andro tonally, 2020 FR graph looks a bit more appealing).

*(actually prefer a slightly cooler/upper mid focused sig- which Z1R has, but find M9's overall balance preferable)
I enjoyed the andros tonally and liked the presentation. Missed the DD base which was why I was looking at the solaris which I heard also had a pretty large sound stage

Mar 21, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #8 of 32
I agree with @Raketen that the Sony offerings are very good in terms of soundstage.
The Z1R is phenomenal, sounds very much like a speaker setup. Potential downsides are a very slightly recessed lower midrange and the fact that they are big.

Sony IER-M9 has excellent imaging and a very realistic stage, but much smaller than the Z1R, like a miniature version.
I have the feeling I need to adapt, "shrink" myself and take a seat in that miniature stage, then it becomes very good.
What the M09 does exceptionally well is "coherence" and the balance between detail and a natural timbre (not BA timbre)
Bass quality is surprisingly good with the right tips.
I heard the original Andromedas next to the M9 and found the M9 to be more lively and energetic, but it's been a long time.

For any of those IEMs the soundstage will be largely defined by the quality of the source as well.
I use the Chord Mojo (original) and it's good, but the Hugo 2 is much better, has better width, much better depth and focus.

Sep 28, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #9 of 32
Here's my ranking list:
1. JH Contour XO: greater sense of depth due to the further instruments' distances which is even further enhanced by a big, bold and precise imaging capability and amazingly wide soundstage, and one of a kind separation & layering capabilities. All of tbose things combines create my biggest perceived soundstage experience with an IEM
~
Sony IER-Z1R: need more listening since I've gotten it for under 2 weeks but out of the box, its width's been already outstanding (could be even better than the Contour XO, very forward midrange, which could potentially lends to a smaller, more intimate sense depth of depth, held back by a seductively live-like timbre and a larger than life presentation

2. 64audio U12: pretty nice sense of openess which isn't neccessarily translate to wide, big soundstage, but the depth which is actually the best here is at times very enjoyable. Although instruments are placed further than any IEMs I've heard, they sound thin and diffused, leading to a less precise listening experience.

3. Campfire andromeda 2020: tall soundstage, but that's it, no thing out of this world. Like the U12T, the Andromeda has a very diffused imaging. Which drive me nuts, I prefer things that's more precise.

4. Akg k3003: the soundstage width is comparable to the Andromeda 2022 but notes are thinner, far a way (better sense of depth) but it's feeled like things are pushed to the other side of the soundstage rather than being distributed equally within the perceivè soundstage

Sep 29, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #10 of 32
JH Sharona :)

Sep 29, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #11 of 32
Sony IER-Z1R: need more listening since I've gotten it for under 2 weeks but out of the box, its width's been already outstanding (could be even better than the Contour XO, very forward midrange, which could potentially lends to a smaller, more intimate sense depth of depth, held back by a seductively live-like timbre and a larger than life presentation
I can certainly second this, IER Z1R have this very powerful sound as a result of its large soundstage and power bass, imaging is also fantastic. For OP's use case of orchestral music I would have great difficulty naming another IEM that is superior
way too hot, but I also need the isolation. Not a fan of the sony house sound tbh
Honestly I'm not sure what Sony house sound is, I also owned MDR-Z1R for a long time and IER-Z1R sounds nothing alike, despite sharing the Z1R moniker. MDR have this very laid-back sound with big bass, while IER is more powerful and energetic. The biggest detriment to IER-Z1R is comfort, they are big and heavy, also the metal edges don't help comfort at all. I tried to get used to it, because sound was so good, but alas .. If your ears can fit IER-Z1R, then it is worth every penny

Sep 29, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #12 of 32
JH Sharona :)
Immediately being intrigued when I hear a mention of the Sharona as my Contour XO remains firmly within my collection to have the biggest, most agreeable, and life-like soundstage which effortlessly surpasses the great ones like IER-Z1R, VE Phoenix, U12T, Trio, Andromeda, etc, I can't imagine how much the Sharona could be better as the new flagship of JH Audio, can't wait to audition it

Sep 30, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #13 of 32
After listening to my IER-Z1R again, I now can confidently come to the conclusion that it indeed have a bigger soundstage than the Contour XO, meaning that the perceived soundstage is the biggest I have ever heard!

Oct 1, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #14 of 32
Ier z1r definitely

Users who are viewing this thread

Back