IEM with K-Y lubricant
Oct 15, 2007 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Jabada

100+ Head-Fier
Sorry about my english.
Well, after reading about improving seal with water and saliva in lots of threads I found out this one: use some water-based lubricant with soft silicon type tips.
I didn't use the K-Y, instead some cheaper ones I found in sexshop arround my town in Brazil.
They go in easily (OH!), and that feeling of the IEM being sucked out I had with water is now gone.
Sound is better too, at least is what it looks, maybe placebo, I don't know.
The confort is a lot better.
It is convenient too, just take the lubricant tube with you anywhere. Just hide the inscriptions of the tube with some tape.
Being water-based I don't think it will do any harm to the ears nor to the silicon tips.
I hope this helped you.

Oct 15, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #2 of 30
Very convenient for the bedside rig......

Oct 15, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #3 of 30
Yet another reason why I use canal-buds for portable use. I guess it is kind of nice to have the lube on hand should you ever need it. Get it....lube on hand...
wink.gif

Oct 15, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #5 of 30
There's NO way I'm taking a tube of K-Y to work for my IM716's.
blink.gif

Not worth the inevitable grief. Lick em and stick em I say

Oct 15, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jabada /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry about my english.
Well, after reading about improving seal with water and saliva in lots of threads I found out this one: use some water-based lubricant with soft silicon type tips.
I didn't use the K-Y, instead some cheaper ones I found in sexshop arround my town in Brazil.
They go in easily (OH!)
, and that feeling of the IEM being sucked out I had with water is now gone.
Sound is better too, at least is what it looks, maybe placebo, I don't know.
The confort is a lot better.
It is convenient too, just take the lubricant tube with you anywhere. Just hide the inscriptions of the tube with some tape.
Being water-based I don't think it will do any harm to the ears nor to the silicon tips.
I hope this helped you.

If it's not a wind up, this has got to be one of the best thread starters I've read since coming on here.
rs1smile.gif

Oct 15, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #8 of 30
I think I just peed a little.

Oct 15, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #10 of 30
Well, I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one to try this! It really does work well, but fortunately my Shures go in fine without any help.

Oct 15, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #12 of 30
Some lubes leave a residue build-up, after they dry some -- perhaps in your ear in this case.
Be careful.
Might be better to lick your finger and insert it first, before inserting the IEM's. That should help some.
Personally, I've never had a problem inserting IEM's in place with no prep at all. Just make sure there is no earwax present at the ear opening.

Oct 15, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #13 of 30
Try the "warming version" - it really adds "warmth and fullness to the body."

Oct 16, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #15 of 30
Thats no joke guys.
My main issue wasn't getting the IEM deeper, but dealing with seal. It'd break within seconds, and with water the sound wasn't right.
About residue, this lubricant I got won't left any after drying, I don't know about K-Y, maybe I make I try any day (expensive here in Brazil).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back