IEM: Why bother going universals when you can go Customs?
May 4, 2014 at 12:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

Tom22

Headphoneus Supremus
i thought i would make a thread about the question above. 

I'm curious that with the current market there seems to be a growing number of 500-100 universals iems. For example, the Shure 846, the sennheiser ie800, and what seems like the weston w60.

what i'm thinking is that if your already willing to drop that amount of cash for these "universals" (that emphasize on isolation and of course sound--> none of them are really low isolating or shallow fitting)

why not go customs?

there are already some companies now that are trying to make customs more accessible to the broader consumers with prices even as low as in the sub 500$ range (cosmic ears, ambient acoustics, alclair reference,custom art )

Any thoughts on why these companies push universals into such a high price?

Pros and cons on universals and customs?--> the 1 thing that i can think of is that universals are easier to resell---> but their already so high in price, your gonna have a hard time finding someone willing to buy it, just my 2 cents 

if i had the money i would definitely go customs (probably will never go there though)

What do you guys think?

May 4, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #2 of 57
Problem with customs is that, unless there are demos available(even demos do not exactly match custom fit sound), you have to choose one based on blind eye without auditioning them, and after you do so, you cannot sell them like the universals since they are customized for your ear, so you will have to step down in price quite a bit to account for re-fit for the buyer.  So, there is a huge risk involved.  Universals not so much, you just need to sell it if you don't like them, but don't take too much of a hit.  But, I think if you get up to $1k universals, you will start taking large hits in loss.

LIke many things in life, you sometimes have to take a gamble if you want to take big steps. 

May 4, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #3 of 57
Another thing to note: it's a huge hassle getting customs. Impressions and sending in, waiting for them to be made can be quite taxing on those who can't wait. And it is no guarantee that the IEMs will fit the first time which might mean refits.

May 4, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #4 of 57
I think one reason is that CIEMs have low secondhand value. If you are not comfortable with the sound of UIEMs. You can still sell it at a reasonable price.

May 4, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #6 of 57
  i thought i would make a thread about the question above. 

I'm curious that with the current market there seems to be a growing number of 500-100 universals iems. For example, the Shure 846, the sennheiser ie800, and what seems like the weston w60.

what i'm thinking is that if your already willing to drop that amount of cash for these "universals" (that emphasize on isolation and of course sound--> none of them are really low isolating or shallow fitting)

why not go customs?

there are already some companies now that are trying to make customs more accessible to the broader consumers with prices even as low as in the sub 500$ range (cosmic ears, ambient acoustics, alclair reference,custom art )

Any thoughts on why these companies push universals into such a high price?

Pros and cons on universals and customs?--> the 1 thing that i can think of is that universals are easier to resell---> but their already so high in price, your gonna have a hard time finding someone willing to buy it, just my 2 cents 

if i had the money i would definitely go customs (probably will never go there though)

What do you guys think?

Don't forget that you have to pay for the audiologist to make a mold ($100), then also shipping costs. Then also a few refits including shipping costs. By the time you got a custom IEM that was $500, you paid much more than that in the end while waiting months for it. 

The question should be, why go custom when a Shure SE846 sounds just as good if not better than custom IEM's without all the hassles while providing excellent isolation and comfort. 

May 4, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #7 of 57
  Don't forget that you have to pay for the audiologist to make a mold ($100), then also shipping costs. Then also a few refits including shipping costs. By the time you got a custom IEM that was $500, you paid much more than that in the end while waiting months for it. 

The question should be, why go custom when a Shure SE846 sounds just as good if not better than custom IEM's without all the hassles while providing excellent isolation and comfort. 

Because it's $1k??  
confused.gif
  I can think of many things to do with $1k.

May 4, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #8 of 57
My personal opinion , I didn't go for custom because I couldn't find someone to make my ear impressions but that was one week ago . Now that I found someone who can I want um mentors but I probably take the universal edition first so in the unlikely event I isn't like them, I'll be able to sell then without loosing too much .
Also I'm afraid that I'll have fit issues and that's an important factor as I don't live in USA or Asia where most if the customs are manufactured ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 4, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #11 of 57
  Because it's $1k??  
confused.gif
  I can think of many things to do with $1k.

The Shure SE846 is competitive with customs that are even more expensive than the Shure SE846 itself ($1k+). There are cheaper universals out there of course :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back