IEM: Volume lower in one ear. Filters?
Mar 31, 2008 at 7:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

drizek

500+ Head-Fier
The volume in the left ear on my im716s has dropped significantly. I thought it was just the filters getting clogged, but I just removed the top of the filter with a small screwdriver and even without a filter it is still quiet.

Is it an issue of removing the entire filter structure(The way it is now I can see all the way down the tube) or is there something wrong with it? I have reterminated it and depodded it, but if there was something wrong there then I would be getting no sound at all, right?

Mar 31, 2008 at 8:00 AM Post #2 of 12
I stabbed around with the screw driver in there some more trying to get the whole filter out. DIdnt manage it, but I guess I poked whatever was muting the sound and they work again.

time to order some new filters!

(sorry for the crappy thread
wink.gif
)

Mar 31, 2008 at 1:06 PM Post #4 of 12
this is happening to my im716's also. Also the left side! anyway, i haven't done much to try to fix it besides change the filter and that didn't help. Maybe i'll get more daring and try to prod around there some more like you did. Thanks for the tip.

Mar 31, 2008 at 1:31 PM Post #5 of 12
Same thing just happened to my Jays Q-Jays,the left drivers just went from just ok,at max volume to barely audible without ANY filter,nevermind
a brand new,thats spotless.

The right is perfectly fine.

The 8 pack of filters its supposed to come with,I ended up going through in 3 weeks.Now they are completely unusaeable!

This week I am going to sent them back to Jays,and I have only had them for a little less then a month,and the pair I
use (we have two,as my wife wanted a pair as well) has only about 25 hours on them.Very lightly used,and yet,near
dead in under 30 days.

Mar 31, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #6 of 12
If you spend any time driving with the window open, your left ear will generate more earwax than the right from the hearing damage you've received from the excessive noise.

Mar 31, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #8 of 12
It will be easier (and money saving) to clean your ear regularly than buying filter.

Mar 31, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #9 of 12
Ya, i used to clean them daily(or more) but have gotten lazy. I need to get back in the habit. Now I need to spend $18 to buy filters from ety since I lsot the ones that came with it.

Also, I still haven't received my free earplugs that were supposed t ocome with the im716. Do you guys think ety will give me a free pair if I ask them about it? I really want those.

Mar 31, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by entp24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is happening to my im716's also. Also the left side! anyway, i haven't done much to try to fix it besides change the filter and that didn't help. Maybe i'll get more daring and try to prod around there some more like you did. Thanks for the tip.

OK, after playing around with it some more it seems like it might have actually been something else other than the filter that was doing this. I think it might have been my plug and not the filters at all. Don't get too brave with that screwdriver
tongue.gif
Have you modded your im716 in any way?

Mar 31, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #12 of 12
It came with a coupon,

Free Earplugs $12 value! We'll send you a pair of Etymotic Reasearch earplugs.

(while supplies last, we reserve the right to terminate at any time, bla bla bla)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back