IEM users -- have you gotten the buds/flanges/foamies stuck in your ear?
Jun 6, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #16 of 25
Medium grey flex sleeve once. Since then I regularly clean my sleeves and pull my ear slightly back when pulling them out, works a charm.

Jun 6, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #17 of 25
Yep, happened to me with the Shure clear flex sleeves with the E3c - after several minutes of panicking and trying to use my fingers - I went in front of a mirror and used needle nose pliers to gently pull the sleeve out.

As it turns out the sleeve was the wrong size and I was trying to get maximum isolation – not the best way to go – but I was just experimenting with my new E3C’s. Now I just use the yellow fomies

Jun 6, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #18 of 25
Been using Etymotic products for years, never had a problem with any of the foamies, bi-flanged, or tri-flanges.

Also used the E2C's for a bit, never got anything stuck with those either.

Had a pair of Sony EX51s for about a few weeks, never had an issue with them either as far as that goes. I've used foam and etymotic ear plugs, never got anything stuck.

I would imagine it would be a bit scary, but I don't think it's very common... my father uses a Shure mobile headset and E3Cs, he's never had an issue either.

Jun 11, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #19 of 25
i tried using the tri-flanges again -- this time on the e3, and again one got stuck in the ear. i mean What? is it the tri-flanges design? cuz it cant be from the IEMs. thanks for the suggestion for using tweezers -- got em out in mere seconds. needless to say, afterwards i threw the flanges in the trash -- they're doing more harm than good. i'm sticking with the small size flex tips (grey). the small clear tips for some reason are a pain to wear. i'm still getting used to putting on IEMs again.

Jun 11, 2006 at 8:40 PM Post #20 of 25
Yes!!! I was on board a continental flight with screaming children all around me. I thought I was so smart, I decided to shove my e4 buds all the way in before takeoff to get some peace. Well, little did I know that my ears were particularly well lubed that day, and one ear bud popped right off as I was making an adjustment mid-flight. So now what should I do? Was I going to spend my entire business trip casually pointing my good ear to people? And then, there she was, a nice teenage girl sitting across from me, with full makeup case in tow. "I know this is a strange question, but do you have tweezers?" I just borrowed them, quickly stuck them in my ear and pulled out whatever I could grab - luckily it wasn't anything else other than the gray e4 earbud.

The next trip I started using foamies more often.

Jun 11, 2006 at 8:43 PM Post #21 of 25
The Tri-flanges on my 6i's pop off all the time, now. I don't drive them deep enough so I can't get them out with my fingers, it's more of a social fo-paux thing when you're pulling out your earbud to listen to someone and have to dive back in to grab something else out...

'Course this'll never stop me from wearing them
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 11, 2006 at 9:40 PM Post #22 of 25
Happened to me a few times using foam and tri-flange tips. Usually I can get it out with my fingernail. No biggie. If you can't reach them with your fingernail then you're putting them too far in.

Jun 12, 2006 at 1:57 PM Post #23 of 25
Use the Ety4Ps and never have a problem. In fact, gettring the tips off for cleaning is sometimes a bit of a chore because the part where the tips go have a tiny flange to hold them securely. And I do insert them quite securely into my ear in the gym since I prefer my classical tastes to those they pump thru the speaker in the gym

Jun 12, 2006 at 3:29 PM Post #24 of 25
Yup...........happened with the Westone UM2 recently while using a bi-flange tip. I happened to be near a bait and tackle shop in town and the owner was kind enough to furnish a pair of needle nosed pliers while a customer fished the tip out of my ear.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back