IEM upgrade for Rock/ Metal
Jul 15, 2011 at 1:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Deftone

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys first time posting here
smile.gif

I am looking for an upgrade from my dual driver UE700s
The music i listen to is rock and metal but metal 80% of the time

i started off with the apple earbuds but hated them so then moved to the Cx300 but the bass was just too bloated and everything seemed muddy, next i moved on to the Superfi studio 3s which is what really got me into it all and kept with them because they sounded so clear and detailed after they broke i received a replacement and got the superfi 5 no pro version and then eventualy got to the 700s

To me they are amazing earphones but i always feel like i want a little bit more. i will list what i dont like about my current earphones.

1 - First is the lack of thump and quantity in the bass, its there and its detailed but there doesnt seem to be enough and leaves me wanting more after hearing the double bass pedal kick in through the track

2 - I dont like the sibilance when turned up to a high volume vocals can get piercing

3 - Midrange could be a little more forward

im not sure what the next step up would be so thats why im asking you for help
do i need more armature drivers? top of the line dynamic?

so far iv come up with a list of what i think would be an upgrade

Westone 4  ???
Sennheiser IE8 (but does the big bass affect the other ranges?)
Shure SE530 (hear that it has one of the best midrange and no peircing S sounds)
Sony Mdr Ex1000 ???

Jul 15, 2011 at 4:53 AM Post #2 of 10
Hi,
just to give you some more suggestions, I am going through a similar progression, went through the SF3 to the SF5, did not own the UE700s though. For top tier universals, there is just too much choice, and while you listed some of the more popular ones, everyone has different preferences. I experienced similar issues you mentioned in the SF5 (which honestly was not that big of an improvement to the SF3, but my pair broke and I wanted something new), good detail for its price, but lacking some refinement and most importantly, punch and bass.
Now onto those you mentioned, I have auditioned the W4 and the IE 8 a few days ago and the SE530 about 2 years ago and the EX1000 not at all. W4 and IE 8 are completely different IEMs, W4 sounds somewhat unnatural, stretched, if you heard the W2, you know what I mean, the W4 to me is an improvement of the W2, but still retains that stretched imaging. IE 8 may lack some punch and details due to overwhelming bass and generally follows the Sennheiser sound signature.
What I want to throw in as a suggestion is the Ortofon e-Q5, which really impressed me since its sound comes really close to a full sized headphone (the one I compared it to was the Denon D5k, mind the price difference, but the sound signature was similar).

Jul 20, 2011 at 4:41 AM Post #5 of 10
The bass is weak on the W4? Not when I heard it... but yes, the SE535 is a nice all purpose IEM, not to mention it's built like a rock. The IE8 wouldn't be too bad a choice, actually. I personally found the bass a bit much, but it wasn't nearly as terrible as I thought it'd be. If you're concerned about the IE8's bass obfuscating the midrange, try considering the IE7 or the GR07. The recent price hike and tendency toward sibilance in the GR07 makes it less desirable choice, though.

I'd recommend the W4 or the SE535, with the SM3 being an outside contender (on the basis that I haven't listened to it before)

Quote:
yes is worth it.....i dun think westone 4 is gd for u as the bass is weak and more on the detail for monitor purpose....shure 535 is not bad for all kind of music.....

Jul 20, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #6 of 10
thanks for the replies

the se535 do seem like a very good choice right now, but iv been reading about fit issues and worried that it may be a problem for me also.
i could get custom sleeves but £30 for impression then £90 for the silicone tips seems a bit over priced.

Jul 20, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
thanks for the replies

the se535 do seem like a very good choice right now, but iv been reading about fit issues and worried that it may be a problem for me also.
i could get custom sleeves but £30 for impression then £90 for the silicone tips seems a bit over priced.

For Rock Metal Westone 3 with the new TS spherical Comply's. Still have the bass punch with beautiful highs and more pronounced mids. you will never look back. 535's will be good also, but a little less bass

Jul 21, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #9 of 10
ok so now it seems like its a choice between

Westone 3
Westone 4
Shure 535

could someone that has heard all three kindly list in order of most sibilant, bassy and fast?

Jul 21, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #10 of 10
have you thought about the UE triplefi 10s? Or are the highs going to be too much? if you dont want those I would go with the westone 3, and imo you will be unhappy with the 535. All I listen to is metal too, and I would recommend the UE triplefi 10 or westone 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back