IEM under $500
Aug 6, 2022 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

caryking

Head-Fier
What IEM’s are under $500 that will be good for Jazz. Thinking a little on the warm side, in the lower mids. Also, needs to soundstage extremely well. Not decided how I will drive; however, if I could use with an iPhone or iPad, that would be a bonus as I want have a an amp or DAP with me all the time.

Also, I’m not opposed to preowned; so, $500 as the retail price that can be bought for less would be great.

I’m also looking at a new full sized system and working to find the solution I want. This is just a meantime solution that gives me flexibility until I purchase.

Aug 6, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #3 of 20
To each their own on value assessments but you might want to just get the B2:Dusk and save some money (I would). If not, then as Andrew_WOT mentioned, the SA6 is a definite improvement over the B2 that can be had for under $500. The Dunu Est112 is also pretty great IMO, similarly tuned, slightly cheaper, and doesn't have a custom-like fit (unlike the SA6) so there's less chance of a fit issue. Sony IER-M7 might be another option if you want a slightly more relaxed tuning and a supremely comfortable fit but can handle a fiddly insertion. Thieaudio Oracle might be another way to go, but that is harder to get a hold of and can have fit issues.

Aug 6, 2022 at 9:14 PM Post #4 of 20
What IEM’s are under $500 that will be good for Jazz. Thinking a little on the warm side, in the lower mids. Also, needs to soundstage extremely well. Not decided how I will drive; however, if I could use with an iPhone or iPad, that would be a bonus as I want have a an amp or DAP with me all the time.

Also, I’m not opposed to preowned; so, $500 as the retail price that can be bought for less would be great.

I’m also looking at a new full sized system and working to find the solution I want. This is just a meantime solution that gives me flexibility until I purchase.

Sony XBA N3. Warm and smooth, non fatiguing, good soundstage and layering. Very nice timbre (even though it has BAs inside). Easy to drive. I bought mine at $100 USD second hand, but I think it retails first hand for more than double that.

Aug 6, 2022 at 11:31 PM Post #6 of 20
Etymotic ER4P is one of my favs for jazz. Going by measurements most of the newer models look a bit more 4S-like, which is a bit tricker (for me esp. w/ older lo-fi stuff). but am curious about the ER3 models.

*edit, oh missed the bit about soundstage, nevermind the Etys hah...

I didn't spend too much time with it but the JVC FW-1500/1800 seemed nice, esp for more energetic upper mids, depending on where your taste goes (I found it could get a bit rough with certain rock recordings).

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2022 at 2:51 AM Post #7 of 20
Penon Vortex has great instrument timbre and texture as well as that bit of warmth you’re looking for (and you can even get two of them for your budget).

Yanyin Moonlight if you can stretch your budget a bit or find one used.

Aug 7, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #8 of 20
Penon Vortex has great instrument timbre and texture as well as that bit of warmth you’re looking for (and you can even get two of them for your budget).

Yanyin Moonlight if you can stretch your budget a bit or find one used.
I read some reviews on these two. What would the frequency response look like on IEM’s like these. It’s actually weird that the desire from HP listeners, regarding frequency response is so different than 2-Channel listeners. 2-Channel wants the response to be as flat as we can get it.

why is it so different? Is it the type of music people are listening to?

Aug 7, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #9 of 20

FiiO FH7, ORIVETI O400, Advanced M5-1D

Aug 7, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #10 of 20
I read some reviews on these two. What would the frequency response look like on IEM’s like these.

Official Vortex graph is here and Moonlight graph is here. Some folks have graphed their own on squig as well, which may be more helpful if they have something else you’re familiar with for comparison.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #11 of 20
I read some reviews on these two. What would the frequency response look like on IEM’s like these. It’s actually weird that the desire from HP listeners, regarding frequency response is so different than 2-Channel listeners. 2-Channel wants the response to be as flat as we can get it.

why is it so different? Is it the type of music people are listening to?
Headphones and IEMs are trying to compensate for the absence of 3D reverberation, ear anatomy and Head Related Transfer Function (HRTF)--what happens to the sound because your ears are on the side of your head.

While many headphones and IEMs do exaggerate bass and/or treble, ones that are trying to be "reference" or "neutral" are generally tuned to sound LIKE you're listening to speakers with a flat frequency response. An actual flat curve would sound weird.

Here's an engineering discussion that is way over my head...
https://electronics.stackexchange.c...phones-equalized-to-a-flat-frequency-response

Aug 7, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #12 of 20
Sony IER-M7
Warm with thick noteweight, great tonality, great bass control (not for basshead, but great for jazz). And one that you need the most : precise imaging and layering that hard to beat on these price range.
Very balanced IEM.
IMHO this set is underrated because of overshadowed by its bigger sibling M9

Aug 7, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #13 of 20

For Jazz with warmth and good imaging I am with @thescientist on the Sony IER-M7. I have heard the M7 and own the M9, they are excellent.
I have not been a fan of the Moondrop Blessing 2 though due to an occasionally grainy midrange. I also found staging and imaging disappointing.
Dunu SA6 looks like an interesting option but have not heard it.
Sony XBA-N3 which was suggested by @baskingshark is a very interesting IEM if you can find one used at or below 150. More bassy than warm and behind the M7 in detail and imaging, but easier to drive.

But the M7 would be my first choice for Jazz.
Ideally paired with a Chord Mojo 2 DAC/Amp

Edit: @DynamicEars What he said!! 👍

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #14 of 20
For Jazz with warmth and good imaging I am with @thescientist on the Sony IER-M7. I have heard the M7 and own the M9, they are excellent.
I have not been a fan of the Moondrop Blessing 2 though due to an occasionally grainy midrange. I also found staging and imaging disappointing.
Dunu SA6 looks like an interesting option but have not heard it.
Sony XBA-N3 which was suggested by @baskingshark is a very interesting IEM if you can find one used at or below 150. More bassy than warm and behind the M7 in detail and imaging, but easier to drive.

But the M7 would be my first choice for Jazz.
Ideally paired with a Chord Mojo 2 DAC/Amp

Edit: @DynamicEars What he said!! 👍
Can they be driven with some type DAC/amp like the ifi gobar using an iPhone? I do use Tidal and Quboz app on my iPhone. So, when in the car, and not using the headphones, I would want use something between my phone and the Apple CarPlay…

kind of multi-purpose…. BTW, this would be a more mobile (not wearing on the go) as I go between my homes. Also, I’m more of an R2R DAC person, at least for home use…

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #15 of 20
Can they be driven with some type DAC/amp like the ifi gobar using an iPhone? I do use Tidal and Quboz app on my iPhone. So, when in the car, and not using the headphones, I would want use something between my phone and the Apple CarPlay…

kind of multi-purpose…. BTW, this would be a more mobile (not wearing on the go) as I go between my homes. Also, I’m more of an R2R DAC person, at least for home use…

The m7? Yes they bit need more juice to be loud but the sound won't much altered even when powered with weak source. Not something like timeless that "easy to get loud but actually not that easy to properly driven"
On top of that with dongle you won't have any problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back