IEM that completely block airplane hum
Nov 8, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #2 of 10
100%? That's probably not going to happen. Also, to block out frequencies as low as we're talking about will likely require active noise-canceling. The two best I've used for this are:
  • The Bose QuietComfort 20 (or QC20). It comes in two versions, one for Android, one for iOS.

• If you do not need to plug into an airplane's entertainment system, then Bose also makes the QuietControl 30, which is Bluetooth-only.

• The Sony WI-1000X. This brings a form factor more like the QuietControl 30 (neckband) with airplane entertainment system compatibility and Bluetooth (including aptX HD and LDAC). This is my main choice for an airplane in-ear right now. While comfortable, though, both of the Bose models above are just about the most comfortable in-ear models of any type, period.
All three of the above models are comparable in terms of noise canceling ability.

If you really want to block crazy amounts of noise, then the over-ear Sony WH-1000XM2 is absolutely incredible in this regard, and currently sets the standard of all the active noise-cancelers I've used. I know you're looking for an in-ear, but I wanted to throw that in there since it'll probably be the closest to the 100% cancellation of airplane engine hum you're seeking. (Again, though, nothing will work 100% that way.)

Nov 8, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #4 of 10
Curious myself on performance of noise cancelling on the airplanes as well. Low frequency noise has quite a significance in the airplane. Planes seem like a pratical environment for noise canceling.

Nov 8, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #5 of 10
How about Etymotic?

Etymotics block a lot of noise, no doubt. The droning of an airplane, however, is best "erased" actively. I've traveled with Etymotics before, and that kind of low-frequency noise isn't blocked as well by them as with a good ANC headphone.

Nov 8, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #6 of 10
Etymotics block a lot of noise, no doubt. The droning of an airplane, however, is best "erased" actively. I've traveled with Etymotics before, and that kind of low-frequency noise isn't blocked as well by them as with a good ANC headphone.

Thanks! That’s helpful.

Nov 8, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #7 of 10
How about wearing a pair of good passive noise isolating in-ear such as the Etymotics or Shure on the inside, playing music; then wear a pair of good active noise cancelling over-ears on the outside with just the ANC activated (no music)?

Nov 9, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #8 of 10
Low frequency hum doesn't just traveling through air to reach your eardrums, it has enough energy to travels through your body as well (and remember body is mostly water, which is a much better conductor of sound than air). Regardless of how well any headphone can cancel or block out noise, 100% is just impossible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back