IEM suggestions under 300 for someone sensitive to snares/claps/cymbals
Jul 20, 2020 at 10:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

BdTigerZ

New Head-Fier
I recently bought the Starfields after recommendations but still found them too bright and plan to sell them. I am not too familiar with technical aspects and frequencies but hopefully am able to convey my sensitives. I am after something smooth and musical without fatigue and as mentioned in the title I find snares/claps/cymbals often too sharp. These must not be ear-piercing and shrill and I hate shoutiness at louder volumes. Some solid sub-bass is fine too as long as it is not overbearing and boomy. I will use these mostly for music from Spotify, movies and podcasts. These need to be easy to drive and don’t require eq (using Sonata HD pro). Listening to Daft Punk, Weeknd, Calvin Harris, Khalid and Kygo right now. Obviously good build quality, fit and comfort is also essential. I am open to buying tips too to help.

Here are 2 songs I just listened to on Spotify recently that I couldn't bear fo reasons above:

What's Poppin - Jack Harlow

Blinding Lights - The Weeknd

Jul 20, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #2 of 17
Using the iem comparison tool on crinacle.com on a couple IEM's:

Blon bl03 if you don't mind tips & cable may help. It just takes the edge off the upper mids/lower treble, so may not be enough.

Nuforce EDC3 if you want a more neutral presentation and don't mind BA bass.

IT00 may take enough of the edge off and still be musical with good bass.

Tough to say what will suit you more, but hopefully this gives you a couple ideas.

Jul 24, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #3 of 17
I have similar sensitivities, but likely not as severe, since you found the Starfield bothersome. The Starfield is considered one of the least offensive IEMs. Some IEMs that might work for you at loud volumes include:

- Final Audio E1000 or E3000 (E3000 is definitely warm and bassy, but is the most likely not to have any bothersome upper midrange or treble areas for you)
- Etymotic ER3XR or ER2XR (ER3 is warmer, but uses a BA)
- ThieAudio Legacy 3
- BLON BL03

Jul 26, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #6 of 17
I'm curious too plus whether EQ can fix some things. How does this real drum kit miced reasonably well sound to you ? Its tough for me to evaluate
mixes built upon sampled and modified loops.

Aug 8, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #8 of 17
I’ll add the Mangird Tea to the list.

Aug 9, 2020 at 1:24 AM Post #9 of 17
Shozy form 1.1

Aug 9, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #10 of 17
Shozy form 1.1
:grimacing:
That high 8KHz peak can be a killer for my ears, with the 5KHz peak less so. The rest of the sound signature is VERY smooth and nice. I really like it, but I personally would recommend caution to those with sensitivities in those frequency ranges.

Aug 15, 2020 at 1:52 AM Post #13 of 17
Wow I didn't think any track would be too siblent on the S8F but that first track was. I would look at the Blon 03. That might do the trick

Aug 17, 2020 at 7:12 AM Post #15 of 17
Straight shootout between the Final E5000, Mangird Tea, Campfire Comets, Sony N3, JVC FXD1 right now. Based off what I have been recommended.
Mangird Tea gets my vote.

I’d cross off the FDX1 though.

I‘ve not heard the rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back