IEM suggestions for Pop, Rock, Acoustic, (Mostly Female Vocals) - Westone 2, UM2, or Vsonic GR07 MKii?
Sep 4, 2012 at 12:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

frapp2latte

100+ Head-Fier
I would appreciate some recommendations on excellent IEMs for mostly female vocal records. Most of the songs I listen to are of the Pop, Rock, Acoustic, Country, Singer-Songwriter, Asian Pop, Ballads genres.

I'm quite new to the audiophile world and the only fairly decent IEM I own is a Klipsch Reference S4, which was a gift from a relative. I have tried the Klipsch Custom 3's though so that's the only extent I have of trying out a higher tier IEM. I don't know much about the technicalities but I want to get an upgrade to my Reference S4's as the cables are already on the verge of giving out. 

I'm not a big fan of heavy bass but some decent amount would be good. I would prefer clear vocals, a good soundstage, instrumental separation, and the like. Basically, in layman's terms, a pair of IEMs that would give an audio equivalent of watching a 3D film. Sorry for that term, I don't know how to phrase it better. I want to feel like I'm in the recording studio or watching a live performance, and be able to hear all the distinct sounds that I'm not able to hear on my S4's.

So far the only ones I can get my hands on are the Westone 2, Westone UM2, UE triple.fi 10's and other cheaper UE variants, Brainwavz B2, and some Shure models. My budget is only up to this range so I would appreciate it if someone could help determine what would be a better fit based on my listening preference.

Thanks guys!
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 4, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #2 of 29
Save some bucks...

Go with the highly tunable Etymotic MC5.

Jim

PS The tune is in the acoustic dampers.

Sep 4, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #4 of 29
This might seem like a stupid question but by tuning, do you mean changing levels on the equalizer? What exactly do you mean by tuning? :)

The acoustic dampers made by Knowles and used by Etymotic have various resistive values.

By increasing the resistance in my Etymotic MC5s, I have turned them into...

BASS MONSTERS!!!

More info here: http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-effect-of-acoustic-dampers-on-iems.html?m=1

Cheers, Jim

Sep 4, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #5 of 29
Quote:
I would appreciate some recommendations on excellent IEMs for mostly female vocal records. Most of the songs I listen to are of the Pop, Rock, Acoustic, Country, Singer-Songwriter, Asian Pop, Ballads genres.

I'm quite new to the audiophile world and the only fairly decent IEM I own is a Klipsch Reference S4, which was a gift from a relative. I have tried the Klipsch Custom 3's though so that's the only extent I have of trying out a higher tier IEM. I don't know much about the technicalities but I want to get an upgrade to my Reference S4's as the cables are already on the verge of giving out. 

I'm not a big fan of heavy bass but some decent amount would be good. I would prefer clear vocals, a good soundstage, instrumental separation, and the like. Basically, in layman's terms, a pair of IEMs that would give an audio equivalent of watching a 3D film. Sorry for that term, I don't know how to phrase it better. I want to feel like I'm in the recording studio or watching a live performance, and be able to hear all the distinct sounds that I'm not able to hear on my S4's.

So far the only ones I can get my hands on are the Westone 2, Westone UM2, UE triple.fi 10's and other cheaper UE variants, Brainwavz B2, and some Shure models. My budget is only up to this range so I would appreciate it if someone could help determine what would be a better fit based on my listening preference.

Thanks guys!
bigsmile_face.gif

Well, the first thing I have to say is that you won't get good sound stage with any Etymotic unfortunately.  They are an analytical and aggressive in the highs as well.  They can work for what you listen to, but there are better options. 

Looking at the things you can get, the B2 would be a step up from the Etymotic for the music you listen to, they don't have as strong vocals though, but don't lack with female.  Once again, it lacks soundstage.  Shure models will give you the vocals you are seeking since they are all sweet for the most part (I haven't heard them personally though).  I would avoid the TF10 though.  The Westone 2 from what I've read is very balanced, may also be something you're looking for.

I do want to confirm that those are the only models you can buy at this time...  If not, I can make further suggestions that may be closer to what you're looking for. 

Sep 4, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #6 of 29
The B2s are far more aggressive in the highs than any Etymotic. Etymotics are actually a bit conservative in the highs as long as you have the right fit and tips.

Sep 4, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #7 of 29
Quote:
The B2s are far more aggressive in the highs than any Etymotic. Etymotics are actually a bit conservative in the highs as long as you have the right fit and tips.

The B2s are warmer though over the Etymotics.  They are more aggressive, but only slightly (at least to me) if at all (B2 >= HF2 for aggressiveness).  Again, need the right fit and tips with both to get the best sound. 

Sep 4, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #8 of 29
Well, the first thing I have to say is that you won't get good sound stage with any Etymotic unfortunately.  They are an analytical and aggressive in the highs as well.  They can work for what you listen to, but there are better options. 

Looking at the things you can get, the B2 would be a step up from the Etymotic for the music you listen to, they don't have as strong vocals though, but don't lack with female.  Once again, it lacks soundstage.

See my above post...

Unless you have done this, you can't say that.

Of course, Ymmv.

Jim

Sep 4, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #9 of 29
frap2latte, what's the max amount you can spend?

Honestly, if you can afford it go for the Hifiman RE272. It's $250, but it's completely worth it in my book if you like vocals of any sort, and nice shimmery highs without even a hint of harshness. The bass is not lacking, and acts a sort of grounding for the other mids and highs. 

It's expensive, but I can almost guarantee that you'll never want another iem...if you manage to stay off this cursed site.

A cheaper option would be the Vsonic GR07 MKII. It's almost as awesome, but it doesn't quite have the magic the RE272 has with vocals and treble.

Sep 4, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #12 of 29
Quote:
Thanks, eke2k6. :) As of now I can't afford $250 but maybe if I save up I will be able to handle that. As for the GR07 MKII, what genres is it good for? :)

From what I've read, the one's you listed XD 

Sep 4, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #13 of 29

Quote:
Thanks, eke2k6. :) As of now I can't afford $250 but maybe if I save up I will be able to handle that. As for the GR07 MKII, what genres is it good for? :)

GR07 Mk II isn't particularly picky, genre-wise. If you want almost anything in your library to sound good, these - and a few others, I'm sure - will most certainly get the job done and leave a smile on your face.
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back