IEM Suggesting. Budget ~$100. Neutral Sound. Phone Driven. Usable during workouts.
Mar 31, 2017 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Aeonfire

New Head-Fier
As in the title, I'm looking for a pair of IEMs that I will drive with my phone. No Amp/Dac outside of what the little Galaxy S7 provides. Not expecting a miracle, just a solid pair of IEMs that I can use in any situation for any kind of music (I listen to pop, rock, metal, edm, classical - lots of different stuff). Important that they don't slip out too much during a jog on the treadmill or me laying on my back during a bench press. 

My at home cans are AKG Q701 65th Anniversaries that I absolutely love and K553 Pros that I use when stuff gets too loud. Very neutral, balanced cans. I don't need anything bass heavy.

Budget around $100.

Apr 1, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #2 of 14
If you're looking for ruler flat, Etys. The fit can be quite tricky though. I find them to stay in rather well, but their ear tips aren't known to be the most comfortable. 

I found SE215(or IEMs with similar memory wire) to stay in my ears very well, but SE215 is not neutral by any means.

You could consider getting IEMs with ear wings, but those are generally sports oriented and hence are bass heavy.

Apr 2, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #3 of 14
I think the 1More Triple Drivers are great for the price. Pair them a Comply tips Sport model tips and you will good to go. If you go with another iem I would still highly recommend a pair of Comply Tips they will stay in unless they snag on something and then most of the time the iem comes out of the player rather than out of my ears.

Apr 2, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #4 of 14
Thinking the Vsonic Gr07. Pretty neutral that Etymotic fit or sound (which can be a good or bad thing but probably good looking at what you wrote). The over ear design is going to help a lot with keeping them stable during use for things like running. Fairly neutral sound signature.

Apr 3, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #6 of 14
Are you looking for bluetooth or something with a cable? Personally I hate wearing headphones during working out if there's a cable because it gets in the way and I hate being attached to the device. I train in powerlifting so if I get stuck on the wire it could really **** me up. Even just running, though, I hate the way the wire will swing around.

Apr 3, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #7 of 14
  Are you looking for bluetooth or something with a cable? Personally I hate wearing headphones during working out if there's a cable because it gets in the way and I hate being attached to the device. I train in powerlifting so if I get stuck on the wire it could really **** me up. Even just running, though, I hate the way the wire will swing around.

I agree. Headphones can get quite from the gym due to sweat and wear. I also hate cables at the gym which is why I've really been liking wireless earphones. Made the switch to Jaybird X2s for the gym and right now I have the Jaybird X3 along with a few other models from brands like JLabs, V-MODA,  MEE audio, etc.

Apr 4, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #9 of 14
The Fidue A73 are great and are over ear and great fitting. Very neutral sound, great clarity and far from bass heavy. The 1more TDs have very thick bass and a very smooth sound. I also wouldn't use them working out as they aren't the deepest fitting IEM, even with foams.

Apr 6, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #12 of 14
I personally don't think 1More Triple Drivers are the best choice if you're looking for neutral response. Sure they're great, but I always feel like they're a little overhyped, and they are definitely very far from neutral. After all, they're hybrid IEMs meant to be V shaped.

https://www.seeko.co.kr/zboard4/zboard.php?id=m_phones&page=1&sn1=&divpage=1&sn=off&ss=on&sc=off&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=136
With diffuse field compensation, you can see that the bass is boosted by 10-15dB. That's enough in my book to be considered boarder line bass-head level.

Apr 7, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #13 of 14
  I personally don't think 1More Triple Drivers are the best choice if you're looking for neutral response. Sure they're great, but I always feel like they're a little overhyped, and they are definitely very far from neutral. After all, they're hybrid IEMs meant to be V shaped.

https://www.seeko.co.kr/zboard4/zboard.php?id=m_phones&page=1&sn1=&divpage=1&sn=off&ss=on&sc=off&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=136
With diffuse field compensation, you can see that the bass is boosted by 10-15dB. That's enough in my book to be considered boarder line bass-head level.

I can't help but agree that the 1More TDs are overhyped. They're far from neutral and very 'thick' sounding. I've had three other triple drivers in the Dunu Dn 1k and Dn2k, and the LZ A4... all have the classic triple driver shape, the 1More set doesn't have the same energy up top... i found it very lacking in this area. I paid £100 and didn't feel i was getting value for money at that price point.

Don't get me wrong, they're still a nice sounding earphone... but i have plenty cheaper ones that IMO sound better.

Apr 7, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #14 of 14

Yeah 10-15 db seems like it would be a pretty bassy headphone, which is fine if you like that. I haven't tried them so I couldn't say but I do like a bit of bass (as long as it doesn't bleed and muddy the sound).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back