iem recommendations for rock music
Jan 14, 2023 at 2:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

loyka1

New Head-Fier
I mostly listen to hard rock/classic rock/rock n roll like led zeppelin, acdc, arctic monkeys, wolfmother etc. I tried dunu falcon pro and I really liked it. I want something exciting with natural clear details, decent seperation, lively energetic instruments with a full musical fun. I will use it through my iphone with apple music so feel free to advice a dac to pair. Between 150$ - 500$ price range, what iem would you recommend? tnx in advance

Jan 15, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #2 of 8
I owned the 7hz Timeless OG and the drivers were fast and the bass hit well. Only sold them because they were too detailed for my tastes and the timbre was a little unnatural, but definitely a great IEM, especially at the sub $140 used price.

Now I have the LETSHUOER S12 on a recommendation. I wouldn't recommend them specifically for classic rock/rock because they're noticeably v-shaped, and I feel like you'd want more forward mids.

There are so many good options, these are just two popular planars to get you started.

Jan 16, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #3 of 8
I mostly listen to hard rock/classic rock/rock n roll like led zeppelin, acdc, arctic monkeys, wolfmother etc. I tried dunu falcon pro and I really liked it. I want something exciting with natural clear details, decent seperation, lively energetic instruments with a full musical fun. I will use it through my iphone with apple music so feel free to advice a dac to pair. Between 150$ - 500$ price range, what iem would you recommend? tnx in advance
Dunu SA6 is really good for the money and the tuning works great with rock
Listening directly from a phone will limit the quality though, personally I would recommend the chord Mojo 2 as an adequate source. But its quite expensive and more of an audiophile grade device with some quirks in usability.
For dongles I read good things about the Luxury and Precision offerings but did not hear them.

Jan 16, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #4 of 8
Dunu SA6 is good if you want a clear detailed presentation, if you want a thicker sound more alike some big speakers the Penon Serial is favourite of mine Metal and Rock. Serial has that balance of not being to macro detailed while still being detailed with a full on sound.

I can find the SA6 to lean lacking some soul on badly recorded rock. SA6 is brilliant still, and it depends on what you like. For me SA6 is a set for acoustic music that's recorded well, and the Penon Serial is a set I can listen to good and bad recordings.

Another great set for rock is SeeAudio Bravery, close to the SA6 sound with more body because of the boosted bass. It has close to the same detailing and soundstage for a cheaper price than SA6. Not bashing the SA6 its great, own one for a reason.

If you like BA sound I would have gotten the new Truthear Dongle together with Bravery.
If you like DD sound more the Penon Serial with the dongle.

I am biased here as I truly put the Serial as one of my best IEMs.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #5 of 8
Dunu SA6 is good if you want a clear detailed presentation, if you want a thicker sound more alike some big speakers the Penon Serial is favourite of mine Metal and Rock. Serial has that balance of not being to macro detailed while still being detailed with a full on sound.

I can find the SA6 to lean lacking some soul on badly recorded rock. SA6 is brilliant still, and it depends on what you like. For me SA6 is a set for acoustic music that's recorded well, and the Penon Serial is a set I can listen to good and bad recordings.

Another great set for rock is SeeAudio Bravery, close to the SA6 sound with more body because of the boosted bass. It has close to the same detailing and soundstage for a cheaper price than SA6. Not bashing the SA6 its great, own one for a reason.

If you like BA sound I would have gotten the new Truthear Dongle together with Bravery.
If you like DD sound more the Penon Serial with the dongle.

I am biased here as I truly put the Serial as one of my best IEMs.
Wow, its look like penon serial is gonna be on my list. do you consider it lively, clear and detailed yet musical fun/warmth?

Jan 17, 2023 at 12:41 AM Post #6 of 8
Oct 15, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #8 of 8
Any update with the newer 2023 released iems? :)
For blues rock (more instrumental than pop rock like Bryan Adams or Bruce Springteen), for example Tom Petty or Black keys, my two discoveries for 2023 are fiio jd7 and Epz q5, two sides of the same coin, complementary to each other. it all depends on personal preferences, recommending an iem is like two women recommending a perfume of soap... But for single dd between 50 and 100$ us, hard to beat!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back