Votes: 0 0.0%
  • LZ A4

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jul 8, 2017 at 9:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

oswalakhil

New Head-Fier
Hi all!

I'm still in the hunt for new IEMs, with my Etymotic HF2 cables breaking (purchased used, not under warranty - don't know how to recable). I purchased the Magaosi K3 Pro as a gamble, used on this forum, but don't like anything except the bass on it.

So here are my choices : I don't ideally want to cross the $100 budget, but a 15-20$ dip is understandable. I also would like to ensure either a great warranty or life to ensure I don't have to bother for a couple of years.

1) MEE Pinnacle P1 (Massdrop, $113): From what I see, there are only very good things written about this IEM. Haven't found much comparison to the HF2/3/5 but only to the Etymotic ER4, which I believe sounds more analytical and detailed. I am very interested in this but fear that the mids might let me down like the Magaosi. I want clear, realistic mids - especially for instruments (I listen to a lot of instrumental music). Bit more warmth, bass and smoothness than the HF5 will be great, but not at the expense of clarity and naturalism.

2) Etymotic HF5 (Massdrop, $80) : This will be a like-like replacement. I don't ideally want to pay $80 for the same IEM, still hurt from the cable quality. But if the other alternatives aren't going to be upgrades, I will go ahead with this option.

3) VSonic GR07 bass edition : Haven't heard this one, but keeps popping up in this budget for good mids and clarity - Not sure how they fare against the HF5.

I am open to other suggestions and options. Please let me know!

Thanks

Jul 8, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #2 of 7
I would add the RHA MA750 (3-yr warranty) and the very good 1More Triple Driver to your list . Both are terrific, both have good, detailed mids and solid bass extension and detail. I would not describe either as analytical, really. Nothing like the hf5, IMO. Build quality is good on both. Maybe read about these two and see what you think. It's possible one could work for you.

Jul 16, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks Serman, added that to the list.

Adding a different angle to the question here - If I were to include full-size headphones to the list, up to $130, which would suit the sound signature I'm looking for? (Great mids, clarity, neutral and natural) Would the AKG Q701 be a good fit?

Jul 16, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #4 of 7
The Q701 is good but you will need a headphone amp for it as it is not easily driven by a phone or DAP. If you want something in that price range that does not require an amp, I would go to the HD598 Ivory or the HD598SR. Mids are beautiful, fairly neutral. A very nice headphone. It could work for you.

Jul 16, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #5 of 7
The Q701 is good but you will need a headphone amp for it as it is not easily driven by a phone or DAP. If you want something in that price range that does not require an amp, I would go to the HD598 Ivory or the HD598SR. Mids are beautiful, fairly neutral. A very nice headphone. It could work for you.
Thanks, I do have an Objective2 Amp. Will that sufficiently drive the Q701? I'll keep an eye out for the 598 as well.

Jul 16, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #7 of 7
If you are willing to go for the MEE Pinnacle at that price you should look into the LZ A4 which sounds better than the Pinnacle and 1More Triple Driver (both very good earphones) and easily beat the RHA M750 which has quite recessed mids and wouldn't meet the clarity an detail you are after imo... the LZA4 has a huge airy soundstage, with lots of detail and depending on what filters you use can be tailored to your preference.

Headphones that have "Great mids, clarity, neutral and natural" I'd say look in to Shure SRH840.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back