IEM recommendation
Feb 11, 2015 at 12:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Tail

100+ Head-Fier
I'm searching for a new pair of my "perfect" in ears for quite some time now and since I have IE80 that still work flawlessly I'm not in that much of a hurry but I want to be ready when the times come which is now sooner and sooner. 

Not sure how to completely describe the sound I like but I'll try my best to narrow the possible choices for someone to recommend:

Physical requirements are that the cable goes over the ear at all costs, it's very good if it is also a replaceable cable. It should have some level of isolation, more the better but that's not that important. Also jack isn't important: straight or L shaped all the same, and accessories overall are not important, I don't use cases shirt clips or anything that comes with earphones, just the mid size tips, foam or silicone. It must be at least 16 ohm but more the better since I use FiiO X3 as a source that works best with 32+ ohm but it's secondary thing, most important that it isn't less than 16. Sensitivity is not that important at all and I don't care if they are made of pure gold or simple plastic, I just want them not to tear apart just like that.

I like good low deep sub bass feel, like those lowest frequencies that you feel more than you actually hear, and not that hit at ~70 Hz; so really low, low, extremely low sub bass. I'm not quite the basshead but it is important for it to be present and I usually don't enjoy earphones that are too light on bass. I like clear mids, for example my IE80 have that mid bass bloat that veils them a bit and I'd like to see some improvement there, so if possible not too much that mid bass bloat (~150-200 Hz or something) that veils them, but I don't like too recessed mids as well. I like somewhat sparkly highs but that's the least important of the things and it is important that there is no sibilance. So even if the highs are bit recessed which would make IEM sound warmer overall that's fine, just not sibilant and piercing. Soundstage is important and the bigger the better but also that's secondary requirement comparing to the things above. 

Also big requirement is that they cost maximum 500$ but cheaper the better! I don't favor any manufacturer nor I care about overall presentation, the box IEMs come in etc. Just interested in pure sound and a bit of comfort, and yeah, it must be universal not custom (because of resale value and overall convenience...)

If there is anything that comes to your mind that meet those requirements (most of them) please let me know! Thanks!

Feb 28, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #3 of 17
I've been in the same boat.  I think I'm going to try the Alclair RSM.  

http://alclair.com/product/rsm/

Feb 28, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #4 of 17
  I've been in the same boat.  I think I'm going to try the Alclair RSM.  

http://alclair.com/product/rsm/

That's a bit out of my budget (<500$) and I forgot to mention it must be universal, because of resale value mostly but also cos of overall convenience, faster to put inside ear and more people can use them too (my father sometimes use my earphones as well)... Thanks anyways for suggestion! . 

I was thinking about Phonak Audeo PFE232 but still want some more talk and recommendations, since I cannot try them out at all here from Serbia, so it'll be more less a blind order

Feb 28, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #5 of 17
  That's a bit out of my budget (<500$) and I forgot to mention it must be universal, because of resale value mostly but also cos of overall convenience, faster to put inside ear and more people can use them too (my father sometimes use my earphones as well)... Thanks anyways for suggestion! . 

I was thinking about Phonak Audeo PFE232 but still want some more talk and recommendations, since I cannot try them out at all here from Serbia, so it'll be more less a blind order

No idea how they sound but they do have a universal.  http://alclair.com/product/alclair-curve-universal-monitor/

I called them yesterday and spoke to the owner.  You might want to just email them.  

Feb 28, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #6 of 17
These get a lot of great recommendations too.

http://www.fidue.com/e_products_show/?id=19&big_id=1

Jul 2, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #11 of 17
I'm in exactly the same boat. Own IE80 for now and would like to upgrade to something with better clarity no recessed mids and energic treble. I also like very low and deep bass though not being a basshead.
Liking very much the sound of UE Triple Fi I was thinking that some options could be:

1. Westone W30
2. UE900
3. ES SM64

My concern is about the bass of the first two...I doubt there will be enough for my taste from what I've read. The EarSonics seems to be best option but I would like to see other suggestions/recommendations too.
Anyway I'm also tempted here to consider the Sony's XBA-Z5 but while for the bass I have no doubts that will be ok...this is not the case for the bright side...so a direct comparison with IE80 will be very usefull.

Jul 2, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #12 of 17
1. Westone W30
2. UE900
3. ES SM64

I doubt W30 and UE900 would satisfy due to sub bass performance, Westone should have completely different sound sig to IE80 from what I've understood tho I never heard it and UE900 has some really bad problems with build (cable connection). Check out what I am considering for now:

-Earsonics Velvet 
-Sony XBA-Z5 
-Sony ZBA-H3 
-Sony XBA-A3 
-Phonak Audeo PFE232
-Fischer Amps FA-4 E XB

I have opened another similar thread because this didn't get much notice, probably due to lot of text so check it out also, maybe we get more recommendations there:

Need help IEM upgrade

Jul 3, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #13 of 17
Thanks man.

Velvet..I haven't mentioned it because of the price - out of the budget - but yes..it is always on my mind :)

Anyway, SM64 is scored with 9.3 for sound in the ljokerl's IEM list (Velvet 9.4) so I was thinking that will be best value for the money in my budget.

W30 will be too week for the bass? I've listened to UM Pro 30 - didn't like the flat sound but the bass seemed that I could live with it (EQ-ed). W30 is said to be more fun wich is good but how does it compare to UM Pro 30 for the bass?

Jul 4, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #14 of 17
Thanks man.

Velvet..I haven't mentioned it because of the price - out of the budget - but yes..it is always on my mind
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, SM64 is scored with 9.3 for sound in the ljokerl's IEM list (Velvet 9.4) so I was thinking that will be best value for the money in my budget.

W30 will be too week for the bass? I've listened to UM Pro 30 - didn't like the flat sound but the bass seemed that I could live with it (EQ-ed). W30 is said to be more fun wich is good but how does it compare to UM Pro 30 for the bass?

Hmm you are right there for the price... I might consider SM64 as well next to all the other contestants. No idea about UM Pro 30... 
For now my list of those that need investigation and reading reviews are:

-Earsonics Velvet   (700$)

-Earsonics SM64   (400$)

-Sony XBA-Z5   (700$)

-Sony ZBA-H3   (350$)

-Sony XBA-A3   (300$)

-Phonak Audeo PFE232   (500$)

-Fischer Amps FA-4 E XB   (450$)

-Aurisonics ASG-2.5   (700$)

If anyone heard 2 or more of these please let me (us) know how do they compare in terms of sub bass, soundstage, harshness of highs etc. Any brief comparison would be welcome also versus Sennheiser IE8 / 80! Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back