IEM recommendation for around 100$
Jan 6, 2022 at 3:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

cablord

New Head-Fier
Hi!

Sadly my RHA T20 has decided that the left ear doesn't need to hear sound, so I am now looking for a new headset :)
I am listening using the BTR3K connected to my phone using ldac (have over ear when at home).
I hear a wide variety of music, from jazz to metal (and orchestral).
I do like the sound signature of my T20 with the treble filter.
As for what specifically I am looking for, I was searching around the web and pretty much wanted to by the moondrop starfield, but they don't send these to where I live via amazon (got an amazon gift card :) )
Other than these I have taken a look at the Tin 2 and the KZs10 pro.
I do want to be able to replace the cable, the T20 is the 3rd or 4th set that I killed the cable.. Also the budget is around 100$
Would love to hear some recommendations :)

Jan 6, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #2 of 13
I love my Moondrop Starfields.. I don't know if I would recommend the ZS10 Pro. It's a good IEM, but its a step away from the Moondrop Starfields. I like the Tin T2s as well - as do most people.

Check out the iKKO OH1S (I don't know what the price is where you are, but I got mine for about $100). Another great budget brand is Jade Audio's lineup. Jade Audio is a subsidiary of FiiO, sort of the budget line-up. I've given them away as gifts because they aren't crazy expensive and I do like them. They have a warmer sound signature like the Starfields which I like.

Jan 7, 2022 at 3:59 AM Post #3 of 13
I love my Moondrop Starfields.. I don't know if I would recommend the ZS10 Pro. It's a good IEM, but its a step away from the Moondrop Starfields. I like the Tin T2s as well - as do most people.

Check out the iKKO OH1S (I don't know what the price is where you are, but I got mine for about $100). Another great budget brand is Jade Audio's lineup. Jade Audio is a subsidiary of FiiO, sort of the budget line-up. I've given them away as gifts because they aren't crazy expensive and I do like them. They have a warmer sound signature like the Starfields which I like.
Thanks for the answer! I did really want to grab the starfield, but sadly they don't send them here for some reason..
Speaking of fiio I can budge up a bit for the fiio fh3, are they worth it? Or should try and do shipping of the starfields instead?

Jan 7, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #6 of 13
Personally, my favorite IEM is the FiiO FD3 Pro. I'm surprised that it doesn't get recommended more regularly. You can get the FD3 Pro for $140 or the standard FD3 for $100 - as far as I can tell, the only difference between the two is the type of cable included. The FD3 Pro has FiiO's interchangeable connector cable with 3.5mm, 2.5mm, and 4.4mm connectors. The FD3 model just has a standard 3.5mm cable.

I think the single DD is more enjoyable to listen to - its smoother and more cohesive. Plus, with FiiO's "acoustic prism" design (which essentially makes them semi-open IEMs), they sound more spacious.

The FH3, in contrast, is going to have more bass, better noise isolation, and a hair more detail thanks to the additional BA drivers doing their work. But.. in my opinion, its not as comfortable and it has a terrible, ultra-springy cable. If you go FH3, I would get a new cable and better tips. There's literally nothing I would add to the FD3 Pro - the cable is fantastic (I've even considered buying more of them for my other MMCX IEMs) and it has a lot of great tips. Truth be told as well, I like the FD3 Pro even more than the Starfield. The FD3 Pro isn't "bright" but it does make the Starfield sound dark and V-shaped in comparison.

Its important to note as well that there is a difference in sound between the FD3 Pro balanced (4.4mm) and single ended (3.5mm). Running them balanced tightens things up and makes it sound more lean. Running them 3.5mm loosens things a bit and makes them a tad warmer.

Jan 8, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #8 of 13
I have the Moondrop Aria and KZ ZSX. I prefer the sound of the ZSX, it seems to have more details. I just got the Aria, maybe needs to burn in more. I auditioned the Moondrop Kato, that's pretty good too and comes with 2 filters and a very nice cable and new type of ear tips, about US$150. https://www.moondroplab.com/kato

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #9 of 13
I recently heard the Moondrop Aria and immediately be impressed by what it offers for just 100$. Although it is not really dynamic, somewhat dull sounding to me, the soundstage is pretty impressive, its width is actually not that far off from my Andromeda 2020, imaging is also good too, sweat mid range, the treble is very airy, energetic. Overall, this is a great Iem, easily one of the best if not the best budget iem I've ever heard

Jan 12, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #10 of 13
Personally, my favorite IEM is the FiiO FD3 Pro. I'm surprised that it doesn't get recommended more regularly. You can get the FD3 Pro for $140 or the standard FD3 for $100 - as far as I can tell, the only difference between the two is the type of cable included. The FD3 Pro has FiiO's interchangeable connector cable with 3.5mm, 2.5mm, and 4.4mm connectors. The FD3 model just has a standard 3.5mm cable.

I think the single DD is more enjoyable to listen to - its smoother and more cohesive. Plus, with FiiO's "acoustic prism" design (which essentially makes them semi-open IEMs), they sound more spacious.

The FH3, in contrast, is going to have more bass, better noise isolation, and a hair more detail thanks to the additional BA drivers doing their work. But.. in my opinion, its not as comfortable and it has a terrible, ultra-springy cable. If you go FH3, I would get a new cable and better tips. There's literally nothing I would add to the FD3 Pro - the cable is fantastic (I've even considered buying more of them for my other MMCX IEMs) and it has a lot of great tips. Truth be told as well, I like the FD3 Pro even more than the Starfield. The FD3 Pro isn't "bright" but it does make the Starfield sound dark and V-shaped in comparison.

Its important to note as well that there is a difference in sound between the FD3 Pro balanced (4.4mm) and single ended (3.5mm). Running them balanced tightens things up and makes it sound more lean. Running them 3.5mm loosens things a bit and makes them a tad warmer.
After your recommendation I have looked into the fiio fd3, and bought a pair, what an amazing upgrade it was from my RHA. Thank you very much on the recommendation!

Jan 15, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #11 of 13
If true wireless is an option (no need to worry about the cable), you could get the galaxy buds, galaxy buds + or galaxy buds pro, if you can get them cheap enough. Very nice, balanced sound.
The Lypertek PurePlay Z3 2.0 would also be a cheaper alternative.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022 at 4:35 AM Post #12 of 13
If true wireless is an option (no need to worry about the cable), you could get the galaxy buds, galaxy buds + or galaxy buds pro, if you can get them cheap enough. Very nice, balanced sound.
The Lypertek PurePlay Z3 2.0 would also be a cheaper alternative.
I do appreciate the recommendation!
However, I do have a pair of galaxy buds pro, and although they are nice, I can hear the difference enough to still stick to a cable and a portable dac/amp (that I already have) :)

Eventually got the Fiio fd3, and enjoy them immensely! (A bit over budget, but since I couldn't get the moondrops at all, it was well worth it)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back