IEM recommendation (~$100) for an ATH-M50 lover
Aug 1, 2012 at 12:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

bhaskarjyotik

Head-Fier
I need some recommendations for an IEM to listen to rock, alternative, jazz and classical
mostly using ipod or samsung galaxy s3 as source. I am a big fan of the ATH-M50s and 
looking for an IEM that might sound similar. I just purchased a pair of JVC XD80s from a fellow
head-fier and not super happy with their sound signature. I am thinking of purchasing
something else. This is what I am looking for.....

Bass: Tight and punchy but not overpowering (like the M50s). I think the JVCs might have
a weird bass hump somewhere because it felt like the bass was overpowering/overshadowing
the mids in a lot of the songs especially while I was listening to Jazz and some classical numbers. 
They sounded good while listening to rock but overall had a muddy feeling.

Mid: A little more forward than the FXD80s would be preferable.

Treble: Need something open and airy with sparkle. I loved the highs on the JVCs. I think
the highs on the JVCs were in the sweet spot for me. Any brighter might sound sibilant!

Overall I would have preferred a little less overpowering and tighter bass and a little more
forward mids.

The soundstage and instrument separation is quite good on the JVCs.

I am thinking of the following IEMS for around ~100USD.

1. ATH-CKM500
2. Yamaha EPH100

Could anyone suggest anything else. Is there anyone willing to compare?

I am also thinking of the JVC FXT90s. Do they have more bass than the JVC FXD80s. 
If they do then I am going to ignore them. 

Thanks in advance!

Aug 1, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:
By your standards, both the CKM500 and EPH-100 will have too much bass for you.

The Etymotic HF5 seems more up your alley.

Hmmm. Thanks. Will give them a try. Are they similar to the Ety ER6s?
I tried them before and did not like the lower end. I thought that they were quite lacking in bass.
Thanks again.

Aug 1, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:
I tried them before and did not like the lower end. I thought that they were quite lacking in bass.
Thanks again.

No clue. 

I didn't find them lacking in bass, but it won't have enough to rumble you around.

If you want to push up your budget a bit, the GR07 would be even better for the genres you mentioned. It does rock guitars and drums amazingly, and is probably the fastest dynamic I've heard. most of the bass is in the sub-bass region, so it won't touch the mids.

Aug 1, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

No clue. 

I didn't find them lacking in bass, but it won't have enough to rumble you around.

If you want to push up your budget a bit, the GR07 would be even better for the genres you mentioned. It does rock guitars and drums amazingly, and is probably the fastest dynamic I've heard. most of the bass is in the sub-bass region, so it won't touch the mids.

Thanks. I have been reading a lot about them. Think I will bite the bullet. Could you recommend a place to buy the GR07 MK2 from?
I am located in NYC.

Also, do they need amping. I wil mostly be using my Galasy S3.

Aug 1, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #8 of 15
Thanks again.

Very similar...

Don't be fooled though, with a proper seal, they excel.

Some can get a good seal, some cannot, and others give up without understanding how to obtain it.

Etymotic has a video on their website to help with this.

Cheers, Jim

Aug 1, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
Very similar...
Don't be fooled though, with a proper seal, they excel.
Some can get a good seal, some cannot, and others give up without understanding how to obtain it.
Etymotic has a video on their website to help with this.
Cheers, Jim

I think I got a good seal with them. I tried them on the street and also in the subway. I felt that the seal was good.
But I felt like it lacked in the bass department. Or may be I was just stupid back then. 
biggrin.gif

I like the tight sub bass of the Klipsch Image X10s but would prefer more forward mids and airy, open, and sparkly high.

Aug 1, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #10 of 15
I think I got a good seal with them. I tried them on the street and also in the subway. I felt that the seal was good.
But I felt like it lacked in the bass department. Or may be I was just stupid back then. :D
I like the tight sub bass of the Klipsch Image X10s but would prefer more forward mids and airy, open, and sparkly high.

Well, as time has passed for both of us.

So it has passed for Etymotic as well.

They have made improvements with their product line too.

I use the Comply Foam tips with mine and achieve a very good comfortable seal.

Good Luck and Enjoy whatever IEM you choose.

Jim

Aug 1, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #11 of 15

Users who are viewing this thread

Back