Yuin PK-1 earbuds
(quality/quantity)
Bass-9/9
Mids -7/7
Highs-7/7
Isolation: 2
Comfort: 5
Insertion: 8

UE-10's with custom mold is clear winner in every category, but price has to be taken into consideration. E500's are a close second, but they are definately second. E5C's with foamies are hard to insert and feel less natural, although I like the moldable behind the ear wires. The E4C's are an excellent IEM for the money but definitely don't hold a candle to the E500's or the UE-10's. The ER4P's with the newer body style are comfortable and are easy to inset, but the don't go over the back of your ears (for excercise) unless you tuck them under your sun/glasses and are definitely less full bodied.

Yuin PK-1's, even though they are really considered earbuds, they have incredible bass and are comfortable, If they would put a silicone flange insert on these, they would be a serious competitor especially for $189. We had them at the NYC November meet, and most members were very impressed with them.

Nov 26, 2006 at 5:42 AM Post #17 of 32
Why not give UE10 for 10 in all category? Is there anything better?
rolleyes.gif

Nov 26, 2006 at 5:47 AM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by derek8555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not give UE10 for 10 in all category? Is there anything better?
rolleyes.gif

LOL.

Aside from the sarcasm, the UE-10s do seem to be a hand's down winner in the IEM world by almost everyone who has heard them. Even the Shure fans here usually agree on this. I wish I had a pair.

Triple.Fi --- comfort wise, I'm sure the same problem as the SF5pro, but SQ wise supposed to be very similar to the UE-10. Did you not hear those to rate them, immtbiker?

Nov 26, 2006 at 5:50 AM Post #19 of 32
Not in IEM territory...but in headphones overall, even though my UE-10's get the most use and I get the most bang for the buck, my R-10's are the only 10/10 in every category. The Orpheus would get a 9/9 in the bass department (although they are a loaner).

Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ
Triple.Fi --- comfort wise, I'm sure the same problem as the SF5pro, but SQ wise supposed to be very similar to the UE-10. Did you not hear those to rate them, immtbiker?

Sorry got this after I posted. No, I haven't heard the XXX yet.

Nov 26, 2006 at 5:54 AM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not in IEM territory...but in headphones overall, even though my UE-10's get the most use and I get the most bang for the buck, my R-10's are the only 10/10 in every category. The Orpheus would get a 9/9 in the bass department (although they are a loaner).

Sorry got this after I posted. No, I haven't heard the XXX yet.

Wow, you can afford both the Sony flagship models. Can I have a loan please?
tongue.gif

What's the difference between the R-10, 010, and the CD3K (I'm sure you've heard them even if you don't own them... They were some of my favorites, the CD1K and 3K).

Nov 26, 2006 at 6:00 AM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, you can afford both the Sony flagship models. Can I have a loan please?
tongue.gif

What's the difference between the R-10, 010, and the CD3K (I'm sure you've heard them even if you don't own them... They were some of my favorites, the CD1K and 3K).

I sold the 010's (gotta change my profile) to fund another purchase. I spent a lot of time with the 3000's and didn't enjoy them at all. I love both the R-10's and the Qualias, but had to sell one, and I guess that shows which one that I prefer. If I had the mula, they both would have made it to my "one headphone on a desert island" list.
icon10.gif

Nov 26, 2006 at 7:10 AM Post #22 of 32
oh, I just switched to the ER4 camp, so here is my new rating for the
Super.Fi 5Pro. I was wrong before, now my eyes (i mean ears) have been opened to these new possibilities! Thank god for letting me discover the true beauty of ER4.

Super.Fi 5 Pro - NEW RATING

LOWS = quality 4 / quantity 5
MIDS = quality 5.5 / quantity 5
HIGHS = quality 4.5 / quantity 5
ISOLATION = 3
CLARITY = low volume 4 / high volume 2
COMFORT = 3.5
EASE OF INSERTION = 2

*Thickness = 2.5
*Smoothness = 3.5
*Sibilance = 25 (lower # means better here)

*Microphonics = (lower # means better here, too)
with older cables: 7, with newer cables: 6 but less comfortable as they are thicker

OVERALL RATING: 4.5

Nov 26, 2006 at 7:21 AM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ‎ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Super.Fi 5Pro. I was wrong before, now my eyes (i mean ears) have been opened to these new possibilities! Thank god for letting me discover the true beauty of ER4.

ISOLATION = 3
COMFORT = 3.5
EASE OF INSERTION = 2

*Thickness = 2.5
*Smoothness = 3.5

with older cables: 7, with newer cables: 6 but less comfortable as they are thicker

What??
But you were the diehard UE fan.. What?

Nov 26, 2006 at 7:24 AM Post #24 of 32
o.O are you alright man?? Did Piccolo convert you or something?!
Maybe it's just too late my eyes getting blurry?!

Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ‎ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

ISOLATION = 3
COMFORT = 3.5
EASE OF INSERTION = 2

*Thickness = 2.5
*Smoothness = 3.5

Nov 28, 2006 at 1:24 PM Post #26 of 32
another question...

as for the sennheiser cx-300 earbuds, when i turn the volume up full on my rockboxed ipod mini, or any source for that matter, it is very, very loud, to the point where it is somewhat painful.

do the etymotic ER4S, shure E4C, or altec lansing IM716 reach that kind of volume from an ipod?

-25db volume on the rockboxed ipod mini is enough to hear music quite clearly and comfortably with the sennheiser cx-300 while on the move....

cheers, marty
wink.gif

Nov 28, 2006 at 1:42 PM Post #27 of 32
IPodPJ I don't know if you are being sarcastic or real too, but people actually read these ratings and base purchases on them (myself included) -so if you ARE being sarcastic put in some more smileys maybe?.
blink.gif
cool.gif

If not: I have not heard the Super.fi 5 Pro but your new ratings seems ok to me in terms of lows/mids/highs quality ratings if you consider it to be so -but the quantity ratings seems WAY off from what I have seen anywhere else regarding the Super.fi's..

In any case maybe it's time for you to change your avatar then
cool.gif

Nov 28, 2006 at 5:16 PM Post #28 of 32
Yeah after reading threads like these - I get really excited. My UE10s are coming within the next few weeks supposedly, and can't wait to try them out.
Would you guys compare canalphone to the sound reproduction of full size headphones? I recall reading in another thread someone posted a hierarchy of : iem<headphones<speakers in terms of the experience, I guess.

How do you guys feel about that?

P.S Derek8555 U of T Engineering?

Nov 28, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #29 of 32
You may care to try the Etys and Altecs with Comply, or similar polyurethane foamies.

The polyurethane composition makes a world of difference in bass. It better seals off the ear canal chamber than the leaky, open-cell PVC composition of the Ety / Altec foamies. It has proven to be the best solution thus far, short of custom molds (yes, that's why those phones sound so good), in that respect.

I have the iM716s, not the ER4s, but the difference is remarkable.

You may need to alter your grades.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back