IEM: Made in the US or EU?... now WHICH should I get?
Jun 24, 2008 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

herbsandspices

New Head-Fier
Hey all!

I just found these forums, and WOW!
biggrin.gif
Cool!

I'm looking to get a pair of custom-molded IEM for all-around listening (work/travel/home), and wanted to stick to my usual efforts of trying to get something that's made in the USA or Europe.

Westone : UM2/ES2 are made in USA (confirmed on the phone 6/24/08)
Precision Labs : Challenger G is made in USA (confirmed over email 6/23/08)
Ultimate Ears : Custom IEM (UE 5,7,10,11 Pro's) are made in USA (confirmed on the phone 6/24/08)
Advanced Communication Solutions : Made in UK
LiveWires
FreQ
Sensaphonics
Starkey
Future Sonics
Microsonic Music

Any others brands that might fit the bill?

Thanks so much - I can't believe how much I have to read!

smily_headphones1.gif
john

Jun 25, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #4 of 18
Jun 25, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #5 of 18
eek.gif
You just blew my mind, ClieOS!

Back to reading!
redface.gif

Thanks for all the links!

I'll amend my list above to include those!

It looks like I have some more research to do, as far as what's best for my budget range (hopefully under $500).

smily_headphones1.gif
john

Jun 25, 2008 at 8:33 AM Post #7 of 18
^that reminds me that, although SA6 isn't a custom, Sleek Audio is planning to release a custom based on SA6's transducer. They haven't finalize the product yet, but If you are really interested in getting a custom molded SA6, you should contact JasonK. Maybe he can work something out for you.

Jun 26, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #8 of 18
Ok, after a lot of reading and talking to various companies, I've narrowed it down to a few different earphones:

FreQ Show $349
Livewires $249

Both made in USA (although their drivers/speakers are made in China), both dual-driver, and both are well received here on Head-Fi
biggrin.gif
. The FreQ Show has the crossover, which seems cool.

I'm not concerned about the price difference between the two - they're both in my budget.

So WHICH should I get?? This is for listening to mostly folk/acoustic music and jazz, primarily on an iPod with no amp.

THANKS!
john

Jun 26, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #10 of 18
EU list:

Ohr & More is a promising one. The rap seems to be there as good/better then the UE 5 custom model. And with dynamic drives the bass should be more powerful.

But else have a look in my IEM delicious list! There some france and dutch iem manufactures in there 2. Or my headphones list

Jun 26, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_ah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
get both then sell off on forums the one you don't like.

That is going to be hard to do..(they're custom made for the user)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back