IEM like HD650, but with more bass
Jul 12, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #16 of 31
Yeah that's exactly why I'm not looking at them. I don't want a warm sound. I don't want accentuated mids or recessed treble. I want basically as close to neutral as possible but emphasis below 80hz and bigger emphasis below 35.

If the jvc sounds anything like the hd598 or se215, that is absolutely not what I'm going for.
Huh. Maybe we're not looking for the same thing, after all. The things you don't want are pretty much exactly how I would describe the HD 650.

Jul 12, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #17 of 31
Huh. Maybe we're not looking for the same thing, after all. The things you don't want are pretty much exactly how I would describe the HD 650.

Maybe it would be more accurate to say I'm looking for something like ath m50 but less treble harshness, better sub bass extension. Maybe a teeny tiny bit less bass than the ath m50.

Jul 12, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #18 of 31
Maybe it would be more accurate to say I'm looking for something like ath m50 but less treble harshness, better sub bass extension. Maybe a teeny tiny bit less bass than the ath m50.
have you tried any of the skull-crushers? I know a few radio DJs like them because of the bass....

I like the beyerdynamic because of the control bass they have, like the dt700 or the custom one pro

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #19 of 31
have you tried any of the skull-crushers? I know a few radio DJs like them because of the bass....

I like the beyerdynamic because of the control bass they have, like the dt700 or the custom one pro

I'm asking about iems, not over ear headphones.

Jul 12, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #20 of 31
You could look at the iBasso line up. For $500 you can get the IT04 which are amazing IEM's.
_DSC1311.jpg

Jul 12, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #21 of 31
Honestly, the shure se846 black filter seems to be the closest in frequency response to the rha t10i "neutral" filter.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ShureSE846BlackFilterSampleB.pdf
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/RHAT10iReferenceFilter.pdf

Its removable cable, has a bluetooth cable option, im 90% sure (shure? heh. heh. sorry.) they have a mic cable available as well. But its like wildly over my budget and i worry about the nozzles breaking, as i've had that issue in the past and it seems to be a rampant issue for shure IEMs in general....

Still investigating the JVC ones that were mentioned.

Jul 12, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #23 of 31
I second the recommendation for the SE846, had them for a while before getting Vegas and they were really enjoyable until I was blown away by the later pair.

they are just so hilariously out of budget, even with the 400 ish i have in amazon points. :frowning2:

also the broken nozzle thing freaks me the hell out.

Right now i can say i only use my headphones in 3 situations: lawn mowing (usually listening to audiobooks), driving (usually audiobooks but occasionally music), and sleeping (100% audiobooks, never music). That makes up maybe 95% of my headphone usage. The last 5% is just conference calls, and half the time i'll just have it on speaker phone unless I'm taking a call while doing chores around the house or something.

From that, I can honestly say that literally ANY headphone (im talking sub 50 dollar) with reasonable isolation would fit the bill a lot better.

We recently got rid of the loud car and replaced it with a new car, and that has a speaker system thats quite good so I'm totally Ok listening to music with the car speakers rather than attempting to block out the exhaust noise of the old car.

It just seems like buying an end game summit-level IEM would be a waste of money. I can say for sure i'd never even think about using the shures while lawn mowing or sleeping....

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #26 of 31
Also, if you sleep in them the se535 has a better shape for lying down!
The 535 doesnt have the sound signature I want, they're like perfectly flat and neutral, basically the definition of balanced. The 846 I think I would mind getting used because then I get no warranty should something happen.

Right now i'm thinking i might just get some sort of bluetooth IEM that either does good noise canceling or good passive noise cancelling and has a replaceable battery. If i'm mowing or doing chores or taking conference calls, I wont really care about the sound quality because its going to be 64kbps mono MP3 audiobooks that were likely ripped from a tape. For actual musical enjoyment I can use the car speakers or get something else where i'd actually go out and be spendy, assuming the bluetooth ones were outright trash in how they sound. Might not even bother with bluetooth, though for sure while lawnmowing the cable is a HUGE hindrance.

Jul 13, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #28 of 31
Se535 iem is mostly close to hd650 cans. It in range of $500 too

i know, but i want more bass than the hd650 provides. It sucks that so few IEMs are available on amazon and so few have frequency response measurements available. I'm looking at the t10i fr and trying to make a somewhat educated decision based off of that.

Of course, FR is only one tiny part of the big picture. the 24 dollar meelec m9b has a similar frequency response but i doubt it is anywhere near as good as the t10i...

So far this is seeming like a dual IEM purchase: 1 where i dont give a rats tail what it sounds like because its purely for beating up and 1 for actual good sounding audio. Potentially an upgrade from the HD650.

Jul 13, 2018 at 2:50 AM Post #29 of 31
You are not getting the HD650 sound in IEMs. Really. Particularly the soundstage. If you try too hard, you would only end up disappointed. If you liked your RHA T10, how about T20? It's (much) more balanced, i.e., closer to the neutral you would like, but still far from flat. And the bass is great. Musical. Enjoyable. And since build quality is so important for you, this is one of the very best choices on the market.

Jul 13, 2018 at 2:56 AM Post #30 of 31
There's a memory wire in the ear hook. That wire fails after about a year. The t10i was fantastic except for that one flaw. The t20 has not fixed that flaw. No removable cable. I dont care about soundstage from my iem. It's an iem, after all. I just want the sound signature. I'm already on my 2nd t10i. This build quality is completely unacceptable at this price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back