iem help for a beginner audiophile
Aug 23, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #31 of 47
x2

Enough bass on my RE0s

Aug 25, 2010 at 9:38 AM Post #33 of 47
I really, really like my SM3. Granted, it started out as a pretty dark phone. But now, (with SensorCom biflange tips), the sound comes through rich, detailed, and balanced. With these tips (and coming from the Triple.Fi 10),  I don't think the treble is recessed. Because I like treble, I currently going to try to try out the DBA-02. Just for the experience, and to check which one a like better.

Sep 18, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #35 of 47

Quote:
Thx for all your help guys..I think I'm going to get the s4s with shure olives for portable use and save for the jh5s for home audio...I'll worry about an amp when I cross that bridge

I am curious, why get custom IEMs for home use? Why not full-sized headphones (or even speakers)?

Sep 18, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #36 of 47

Quote:
I am curious, why get custom IEMs for home use? Why not full-sized headphones (or even speakers)?

Well I have a Pioneer sound system and a sony in my room but I don't want to bother my mom and since I'm 15 and going to college soon I don't want to take up so much space with some full size cans and an amp. Before I was considering the Senn 650s but I would need a decent amp which would run me a few more benjamins not to mention I can add custom art to the jh5s lol .. not really a valid reason but what can I say I'm still a kid. I was also thinking that if I ever wanted to switch my jh5s to portable use.. I could save some cash for some better phones for home use...stills got a long way to go though. As I have learned from Headfi these past few months..my search for the perfect sound will be filled with ups and downs but it will be a fun filled adventure that my wallet will definitely never forget. Btw virtuoso how did the dba02s turn out for you.. it might change my possible options I am considering. 

Sep 18, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #37 of 47
I haven't tried them yet, I should get a loaner sometime within a month. I will let you know then.

Sep 18, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #38 of 47

Quote:
Before I was considering the Senn 650s but I would need a decent amp which would run me a few more benjamins not to mention I can add custom art to the jh5s lol .. not really a valid reason but what can I say I'm still a kid. 

Love the honesty and humility
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 19, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #39 of 47

Quote:
<snip> since I'm 15 and going to college soon I don't want to take up so much space with some full size cans and an amp. <snip>

I wouldn't consider customs until I was 18+. Young people ears are constantly changing and you run a real risk of requiring a lot of refits, which in turn is a lot of money and unwanted discomfort.
You certainly have to consider it... or at least look into it more.

Sep 19, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #42 of 47
I wear mine with the cable over the ear (that's the way you have to use them, or at least how they were designed to be worn) with the cable down the front of my chest.

Here's a picture from the TouchMyApps review.

Sep 19, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #43 of 47
Well I've been reading online that after 21 (for boys at least) your ears should stay pretty much the same for at least the next 10 years because they grow about 1/100th of a centimeter each year. Any thoughts on this guys? If customs aren't right for me right now, I don't think I want to go through all the hassle of refitting so I guess for now I'll stick to some universals. I might consider full size cans for the next few years maybe Senn 555 or akg701 and sell them off before I go to college. Also if you have any iem suggestions don't feel shy and please comment. Also any portable amp recommendations would be nice too. I've heard a lot of good things about the filo e5 and e7 but there is not really a comparison plus there is about a $80 difference so I was just wondering.

Sep 19, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #44 of 47

Quote:
how do you wear sm3? just like se530? i'm looking for something to wear down unlike se530.

As shown above, you wear the SM3 over the ear. Honestly, you get used to the design, and you will love the lowered microphonics. If you really want straight down IEMs, look into Fischer Audio, Monster Turbine, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back