IEM/headphones, portable audio (FLAC on Iaudio X5)
Jun 16, 2006 at 1:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Voodoo Rufus

New Head-Fier
Hello people,

I searched around a bit last night, and wanted to gather some 2nd opinions. I will soon be getting a 60GB Iaudio X5, and all of my music is FLAC level 8 or high quality mp3 (192-320kbps). My music tastes are electric blues (SRV, Albert Cummings, Eric Clapton, Corey Stevens, Walter Trout, etc.), classical (think Vivaldi), and soundtracks (Star Wars Episode III, other John Williams work, hoping to expand this in the future).

I tend to like my loudspeaker music response flat with enough volume to feel the bass without using loudness contour. When I use headphones (Koss R/80s are the limit of my experience with decent headphones, with an external amp), I tend to prefer to boost the bass in order to compensate for the lack of 'feel'. I always felt my Koss phones were a little soft in that department. I like a lot of midrange and treble detail, but also like those areas flat in frequency response. My speaker listening is limited to Klipschorns, and my homebuilt CSS FR125S full rangers. I heard some Adire/Exodus kits up in Washington and thought those kicked butt on my music, to give you and idea of the speakers I like.

Since the X5 will cost me $350, I don't want to dump a lot on headphones, say the limit is $100 shipped. I need these to provide some isolation on aircraft (will be travelling a bit in the future), but when I'm doing general homework I don't need them to seal off the world entirely. I won't be doing a lot of mobile activity, these will be used mainly at a desk, or maybe on a Nordic-Trac. I will not have an external amp to these in the next few months, but possibly in the future for computer/gaming use.

I've narrowed the list to these:

AKG K26P - Look like decent phones, portable.
Sennheiser CX300 - Good price on newegg, can buy them at the same time as the X5, but perhaps too bass heavy?
Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3 - Nice IEMs, but a little pricey. Read they have a sibilance problem? (really dislike that sound, but little of my music has excessive amounts)
Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro (by them USED on these forums to save $) - Look very nice, but can't afford new. Perhaps overkill for me?

Thanks.

Jun 16, 2006 at 4:48 PM Post #3 of 24
Hello,

I also wondered if the Super.fi 5 pro would be overkill for my X5L... I was told it wasn't in this forum, I went for them and I don't regret it at all.

I also have the Sennheiser cx300, they are very good for the price, but cannot compete with my Super.fi 5 pro... In any case, they are not bass heavy (none of them), at least compared to my Sennheiser hd650... And since you mention that you need the bass boost for some other cans, these headphones might be the way to go (sennheiser cx300 as a low budget solution, Super.fi 5 pro as a very well paired IEM for your X5).

You can always get the Sennheiser cx300 until you gather the cash for the Super.fi 5 pro's
etysmile.gif

Regards,

Alberto

Jun 17, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #4 of 24
I DO have the cash, the question is whether I actually want to spend it.

I think the CX300s may be good for a short term solution as you said, and in the future upgrade to the 5 Pros. It's a possibility.

Jun 17, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #5 of 24
Im also getting a iaudio x5l soon....When you have already spent that much on a mp3 player... do yourself a favour and get the ety er4p... Im sure u wont regret it!!

Jun 17, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoo Rufus
Those are WAY out of my price range.
frown.gif

If you spend the money for an x5l you should budget at least ER-4p or E4.

Jun 17, 2006 at 8:41 AM Post #9 of 24
You might consider the Alessandro MS-1. $99 shipped to your door. Sound very good with accoustic stuff like Eric Clapton. Classical should work too, to some degree.

Jun 17, 2006 at 10:08 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoo Rufus
I DO have the cash, the question is whether I actually want to spend it.

I think the CX300s may be good for a short term solution as you said, and in the future upgrade to the 5 Pros. It's a possibility.

That was exactly my situation (and now I do have the cash for a Graham Slee Solo amp, the question is whether I actually want to spend it... I mean, I have the cash for the Orpheus, but...
rolleyes.gif
I am not bitten by head-fi
orphsmile.gif
Well, at least not that much
580smile.gif
etysmile.gif
).

BTW, if you feel your headphones lacking bass, I would not recommend the etys, based on what I read in this forum (I never head them). I think the UE Super.fi 5 pro are your call...

Jun 17, 2006 at 3:06 PM Post #11 of 24
I would try a portable amp: PA2v2 or LDM+ plus look at used Etys: ER4S (needs the amp) or ER4P. or used shure E4C, maybe super.fi 5pro. Not the 5EB. Between those you can pick up somethin at a decent price.

buying used: Get pictures of the driver housing and the inside of the barrel, check warranty status, buy your own triflangs or foamies or comply's and listen to them before buying if you can, tho i would trust sellerwith feedback here.

check 4sale@head-fi or Craigslist (if you're in US)

Jun 17, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #12 of 24
I'm not in the market at the moment for open headphones as I desire some noise isolation. In the future when I stop travelling for a while I'll seriously consider some for home use. The 716s look pretty nice, read a little bit on them last night.

Right now I'm thinking the CX300s for the time being and upgrade to the LDM+ and Superfi 5 Pros later on. I'm not after absolute sound quality, just something to get me through the next few months enjoying my music on something other than LAPTOP SPEAKERS!
biggrin.gif

Unless the Super Fi 5s show up in the for sale section for a decent price between now and monday, I'll probably go CX300s.

Jun 17, 2006 at 5:19 PM Post #13 of 24
i found the superfi5pro were overkill on my x5.

i suggest ksc 75....for under 100 they're the best for your buck.
and if u want to splurg...then go ksc75 with a pa2v2 and you're still under 100

i have the ksc75 and pa2v2 setup going right now and love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back