IEM for plane / sleeping
May 3, 2009 at 6:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

beaco

New Head-Fier
All,

After going through a set of ER-6, ER4p and recently a set of q-jays I'm on the lokout for my next set of iems for long distance plane trips.

So I was looking for something that plays pop-rock, vocals and brass instruments nicely. I like a fairly flat sound. Ok if it leans a little bit towards bass as high trebles can be difficult to listen to for long periods (plane trips etc.) but nothing too bass'y.

I really want a canal phone that is portable, has good sound isolation for planes, and that I can lie my head on the side without feeling the phone or feeling them pushed into my ear. What are your suggestions?

HISTORY
ER-6 - cord came loose near entry into canal phone.
ER-4p - one earphone stopped working
Q-jays - loved the fit, being able to lie on my side and not feel the IEMs. But the filter system is crap, filters don't stick and one earphone became muffled. Barely used these much before they died.

Was happy with build quality of ety's I think I just genuinely work them out. Also, they didn't really work great for lying on my side.

May 3, 2009 at 7:10 AM Post #2 of 47
Shure SE530's. I've slept with them, and they have the sound signature you want. They're really comfortable for me, and are so smooth and easy to listen to that I often fall asleep with them on.

SE530, bro. Usually I don't peddle these IEMs as THE one-and-only answer (I usually recommend a few others), but for you, I think it's perfect.

May 3, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #4 of 47
lack bass???? i really really dont think so and no you cant really wear them down but then i dont know why you would want to.

530 would be a good suggestion, shures have great isolation and are very comfortable, you might be better looking into the se420 if you really want a flat sound, the 530 are quite potent bass wise.

any shures are very easy to listen to, no fatigue what ever from them

May 3, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #5 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by kobayashi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They also lack bass when flying.

LOL

I like that these lack bass "when flying". They have plenty of bass if you're working out, listening in a coffee shop, or riding a bike. But if you're in an airplane - you're just out of luck.

May 3, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #6 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by ka-boom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL

I like that these lack bass "when flying". They have plenty of bass if you're working out, listening in a coffee shop, or riding a bike. But if you're in an airplane - you're just out of luck.

You obviously don't fly and that's why you sound ignorant. The din from the jets drowns out a lot of bass. Treble comes through just fine. Exactly why I use the IE8 set to 3/5 with the bass knob when flying. It's far too much bass at that setting for any other daily situations but is perfect for flights.

As for wearing the 530's up, they suck when lying down and sleeping.

May 3, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #7 of 47
Quote:

You obviously don't fly and that's why you sound ignorant. The din from the jets drowns out a lot of bass. Treble comes through just fine. Exactly why I use the IE8 set to 3/5 with the bass knob when flying. It's far too much bass at that setting for any other daily situations but is perfect for flights.

As for wearing the 530's up, they suck when lying down and sleeping.

Wow, with bass turned up on yout ie8s and their inherant lack of isolation you have to crank up the volume your ears must be taking quite a beating!

May 3, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #8 of 47
Quote:

You obviously don't fly and that's why you sound ignorant.

Nope, wrong. Must be you. Recently I've flown to FL and TN and had no problems listening to my C3's while in flight. Still able to enjoy lush, beautiful bass.

May 3, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #9 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by scrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, with bass turned up on yout ie8s and their inherant lack of isolation you have to crank up the volume your ears must be taking quite a beating!

Wrong. IE8s have better isolation than SE530s for me since I modded the tips. Search for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ka-boom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Recently I've flown to FL and TN and had no problems listening to my C3's while in flight. Still able to enjoy lush, beautiful bass.

And you still sound ignorant.
floatsmile.png

May 3, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #10 of 47
theres actually something i wondered about using IEM´s while flying,
some of the sound from the plane isnt really sound, its vibration from the engines and general plane mechanics which is actually worst with good isolation IEM´s, the sealed envirenment in your hear due to the iem gives it more strengh, and makes it more annoying,

May 3, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #11 of 47
Quote:

You obviously don't fly and that's why you sound ignorant. The din from the jets drowns out a lot of bass.

Well I flew every other week from Dallas to Tampa throughout last year and I can say that the SE530s are just fine and have plenty of bass, even in a noisy jet environment. Same can be said for riding on a light rail train. The isolation for me is very good because I found tips that work great for me.

Now it is worth noting that people have posted in these forums regarding the SE530s saying they have no bass and others saying they have far too much bass! Point being, assuming they are getting a proper seal, people's opinions still will contradict each other because "enough bass" is a pretty subjective thing. Some folks' "enough bass" is just a caricature of bass to me, for example.

I agree the OP should consider the SE530. Also, an airplane is one of the few environments where I found the PTH module actually useful, so that might be a benefit to consider as well.

May 3, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #12 of 47
Kobayashi, have you delayed posting a message long enough to read over it and think about what kind of person you come off as to others? I guarantee nobody is going to disregard ka-boom because you call him ignorant, whether or not they will disregard your opinions...
Also, I usually don't think the SE530 (or any top-tier universal) are worth the jump in price, but the SE530 seems like it fits your bill perfectly and might be worth it to you. The only other iem you could comfortably lie on the side of your head with IME is the UM1-2.

May 3, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #13 of 47
ive used the 530 every time im forced to get on a plane and what utter and total bollocks about them magically loosing bass.

clearly you dont have a seal on them, even with no music playing they for all intents and purposes block out the engine noise. hell planes are a dam sight quieter then the tube is.

you know you remind me an awfull lot of voltag3

May 3, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #14 of 47
Quote:

And you still sound ignorant.
floatsmile.png

What's with all the name calling? I've done nothing to you, I don't even know you... But you do remind me of that voltag3 kid.

In flight, I get good sounding music through my klipsch IEMs with plenty of bass, and you don't get the same bass through your Shure IEMs. Is that a reason to get so riled up? Maybe your seal is bad?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ive used the 530 every time im forced to get on a plane and what utter and total bollocks about them magically loosing bass.

Uh oh, watch it! Don't want to be called "ignorant" now.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back