IEM for plane / sleeping
Jun 9, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #31 of 47
I've found the SE530s bass to be perfectly fine on a plane. Even the lower end SE210s that I own work fine on the plane even though these guys have less bass than the 530s. By the way my flights are usually 10ish hours long (Vancouver to London, NY to London, etc) and the Se530s remain perfectly comfortable and very easy on the ears. I love them for flying, especially since the sound isolation is so great.

Jun 9, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #32 of 47
I'll recommend the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3/Altec Lansing UHP336 if you want some isolation while on a longer flight and still want good sound quality (and some bass provided you EQ it on some PMPs). They aren't for sleeping on your side, though (will hurt like hell if you do). I've used them on 2 round trips from Chicago to Hong Kong (non-stop 16+ hours each way) and for the most part they do block out most of the background engine noise except for some of the low rumble/hum.

Jun 9, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #33 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by kobayashi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You obviously don't fly and that's why you sound ignorant. The din from the jets drowns out a lot of bass. Treble comes through just fine. Exactly why I use the IE8 set to 3/5 with the bass knob when flying. It's far too much bass at that setting for any other daily situations but is perfect for flights.

As for wearing the 530's up, they suck when lying down and sleeping.

Funny this thread is on the front page again. I just flew from Ohio to Seattle, WA and back this past weekend and put in over 12 hours of fly time. For some reason I remembered this thread, and how silly kobayashi sounded when he talked about lack of bass while in the plane.

Nonsense. Pure nonsense.

I found no bass loss whatsoever. If you experienced it it's probably because YOUR ears hadn't popped due to the pressure. It's not hardware related.

Jun 9, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #34 of 47
spot on: UM3X, UM2, SE530.
THe UM3/2 body is perfect for seal, comfort and for me at least sleeping even with the cord over the ear.

Would love to hear from anyone whether the pure customs - like fidelities/livewires, UE4 etc work well when sleeping...of course they're probably way over budget.

Jun 9, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #35 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by ka-boom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny this thread is on the front page again. I just flew from Ohio to Seattle, WA and back this past weekend and put in over 12 hours of fly time. For some reason I remembered this thread, and how silly kobayashi sounded when he talked about lack of bass while in the plane.

Nonsense. Pure nonsense.

I found no bass loss whatsoever. If you experienced it it's probably because YOUR ears hadn't popped due to the pressure. It's not hardware related.

Whatever you say, clownshoes. I fly all over the globe every month and know what I'm talking about. Not sure how it took you 12 hours to get from Ohio to Seattle but you might want to find a new travel agent. LOL

If you're not a moron who likes to crank their IEMs while they're on the plane, bass is the first thing to be lost when listening at low volumes, especially while on a plane with the background noise.

Jun 10, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #37 of 47
Quote:

Not sure how it took you 12 hours to get from Ohio to Seattle but you might want to find a new travel agent.

Reading isn't your thing is it?
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

"...I just flew from Ohio to Seattle, WA [size=small]and back[/size] this past weekend and put in over 12 hours of fly time...

Still too complex and layered? I'll explain this "to + from = total fly time" equation further if you need assistance.

Jun 14, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #39 of 47
Quote:

Sorry to hear about your inability to purchase direct flights. I guess that rules out your being able to try multiple top-end IEMs as well. Pity.

How are these two related in any way? Not being able to buy direct flights because he has to get home maybe? What does this have to do with him buying IEM's?
confused.gif

Also if you are losing bass on your 530's when flying, you don't have a good seal. I recently flew from Vancouver to Shanghai with a pair of 530's and have not had any loss of bass.

Jun 14, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #40 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by scrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, with bass turned up on yout ie8s and their inherant lack of isolation you have to crank up the volume your ears must be taking quite a beating!

I have to say, when I go outdoors, I find myself changing my EQ on my clix 2 to "Max Bass"...I agree that when you leave the quiet of the home, the bass IS the spectrum of the music that is lost over the clamor of the noise (cars, construction, etc) ...and highs CAN BE quite fatiguing over long periods of time outdoors.

So, yes, I agree that if you want to use headphones outdoors/in trains, planes and automobiles, it is much preferred to have something that puts out enough bass and/or have an EQ to do the same thing.

edit:Shoulda read the second page, didn't see that shures had been bought! Hope they work out for ya!

Jun 15, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #43 of 47
I'm a Grado lover. During a recent road trip, I came to realize the virtues of sound isolation. That's when I went through thread after thread looking for the right IEM. Not completely sold on any one design, I ordered the five that inspired the biggest buzz:

Etymotic Er4p
Shure SE530HTP
Westone 3
Westone UM3X
UE Triple Fi 10 Pro

Of these, my favorite is the Westone UM3X. I like it because it's ergonomic (fits into my ear like a hearing aid), looks cool (transparent) and - best of all - has a killer sound without killing my ears. There's a running debate about whether the Westone 3 has better bass. In my opinion, the W3's bass is highly pronounced but it's more of a midbass. The UM3X has a more neutral sound. Some find it clinical. I find it terrific. I prefer its presentation to W3 as well as to all of its rivals.

That said, I think the key to getting great sound is finding the right tip. Everybody's ear is different. I can't even use the same tips on different IEMs because their architectures vary. For the Westones, which curl up in my lobes like a hearing aid, the fatter tips work better because that's the wider part of the ear canal (at least for me). The SE530 works much the same way. I don't find it as ergonomic (It slips out more easily) but it also provides great bass with big foam tips (at least in my ears). If I use the Er4p or the Triple Fi 10, I have to go with smaller tips, because they sound better deeper in the ear canal.

My favorite bass - once the right tips are used - comes from the UM3X, the Triple Fi 10 and the SE530. The W3's bass is bassier than I need and more midbass than anything. The Er4p/Er4s must have a higher impedence because the output is at least several decibels below that of rival IEMs. The Er4p is made to run right off an iPod, which it does, but you still need to adjust for that several-decibel drop. Those who complain that the Er4p has no bass are likely failing to adjust for the difference in output. When I finally got the tip right, and I adjusted for the output, I got plenty of bass - and that was before I"d hooked up my M^3.

If I had to give a nod to one of these, it would be the UM3X - not exclusively for the bass but for the overall presentation. For my money, it has as good a bass response as any of the others and it sounds phenomenal. But that's if I had to pick just one. I very much like the Triple Fi 10 and the SE530. Right now, I"m not in love with the ergonomics of the Er4p but the sound is great once you get the right fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back