IEM for non-portable use?
Nov 15, 2005 at 2:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

iScream

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've been lurking around here for about a week now and decided to finally chime in with a couple questions.

I work a lot from home, but my computer is in a large room that is very connected to the rest of the house. That means my wife watching TV downstairs can be heard easily when I'm trying to work. Since I'm very easily distracted by that type of thing, one of my primary concerns is isolation. Second is probably comfort during a couple hours of use at a time. Finally, we get to sound quality, where something very smooth and non tiring would be my preference.

So, would you even be looking at IEM's for use at home only? Would I be better off looking at a set of closed cans, even though the isolation may not be as great? Active noise cancelling is out as I've tried a few and they don't work on voices, which is what annoys me more than anything when trying to work. I also don't want the music very loud when I'm working so I would rather have the headphones do the isolation than drown out noise with music.

Assuming an IEM would work for me, I'm having a hard time taking anything meaningful from all the reviews I've read on this site so far. Understandbly, most everything is written on sound quality when used with portable players. That won't be common for me though. Could anyone reccomend a good IEM for the usage I describe? I listen mostly to classical, blues and new age kinda stuff, with some rock thrown in occasionally. I know I don't need very high end equipent for my primary usage, since I'm concentrating on work rather than music, but I would like something that I can also use for serious listening at times.

Right now, I'm leaning toward Super.fi 5 Pro.

Sorry if I rambled too much above but thanks in advance for any feedback.

-Chris

Nov 15, 2005 at 3:58 AM Post #2 of 21
I like my E4c's just fine. I'm sure the super.fi's would work equally as well, though I haven't heard them myself.

Here's what I've learned about buying IEM's...
1. You can't comparison shop. Since they fit inside your ears most places will not let you try before you buy. It's a hygene thing.
2. Everyone has an opinion. There are too many opinions floating around. If you search long and hard enough you will, no doubt, find 10 people who say the E4c's > super.fi pro's and another 10 who say the opposite.
3. They're not as comfortable as regular headphones. Purly personal preference I'm sure, but I have never found them to be as comfortable as my Grado SR60's.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Good luck, whatever you decide.

Nov 15, 2005 at 2:01 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by iScream
one of my primary concerns is isolation. Second is probably comfort during a couple hours of use at a time. Finally, we get to sound quality, where something very smooth and non tiring would be my preference.

I think IEM's are actually a good idea for your situation. There is no clamp effect, and they're not heavy or too warm to wear, and the isolation is usually really good with the higher end models.
I have the super.fi 5 Pro myself, and in my opinion these earphones are quite comfortable even during longer listening periods (hours).
These 'phones are also very musical, with emphasis on mids and bass, so they're not shrill or fatiguing at all.

I think you would be quite pleased with the super.fi. I haven't tried the Shures, so I cannot compare.

Your only problem might be that with such good earphones you might get a little too engaged in the music to concentrate on your work...
wink.gif

Nov 15, 2005 at 2:15 PM Post #4 of 21
Actually, I think what you really need, is the Etymotic ER-4P. If strong bass is not a concern, I think they have the best sound qualty of all IEM's. I am going to get another pair, had one, but sold it
mad.gif
, for use in my home only.
etysmile.gif

Nov 15, 2005 at 2:58 PM Post #6 of 21
Any of the popular IEM's would be fine, ER4S, ER4, Superfi 5, UM2 in order of least bass to more bass.

Nov 15, 2005 at 3:01 PM Post #7 of 21
I use my sf5p's in my office at work. They're great for cutting the ambient noise and don't look quite so strange when folks walk by my office as when I'm wearing full size headphones. I really like them for this application.

A couple nice things about the sf5p's for this application in comparison to Shure E3c's (my other IEMS):

The noise isolation of the sf5p's isn't as good as the E3c's. That means I can hear my phone ring and I can usually hear if someone comes into my office if my back's to the door.

The sf5p's seal on the outside of the ear canal. That means I can just tug them off my ear with a quick twist. With the E3c's I have to dig into my ear and slowly twist them out until the seal breaks. It's hard to answer the phone (if I hear it) and it's weird to be digging into your ear while someone's standing in your office wanting to talk to you.

Sound wise I much prefer the sf5p's to the E3c's as well. But the E4's get excellent reviews around here. Lot's of other choices as well but the sf5p's work for me.

Nov 15, 2005 at 3:31 PM Post #8 of 21
iScream, welcome to Head-Fi.

For the purpose you describe, an IEM would be ideal. Isolation with IEMs is probably better than most closed full-sized headphones. Sound quality is another issue, but if you're going to be listening to background music at low volume levels as you work, it may not be the most important criteria.

In this case, comfort may be more important than sound quality. The ultimate in comfort (as well as IEM sound quality) would probably be the custom-fitted IEMs such as the Ultimate Ears UE-10 Pro and Sensaphonic ProPhonic Soft 2X. Keep in mind I haven't had the pleasure of owning either (or even seeing one in person), but I'm recommending them anyway since no price range was specified.
evil_smiley.gif

BTW, I think you didn't ramble on enough.
icon10.gif

Nov 16, 2005 at 4:36 AM Post #9 of 21
Thanks to all of you for the replies. This will probably be a birthday present from my wife in the next week, so the budget is less than $300.00. Guess it won't be the UE-10 Pro.
wink.gif
I'm leaning even more toward the 5 Pro though. I think I'll probably ask her to order from somewhere with a good return policy, even if the price is a few dollars higher. At least it would only cost as much as the restocking fee, in case it doesn't work out for me.

Realistically, a $100 set would satisfy my needs as well as a $250.00 set, but I know myself well enough to realize I would drive myself crazy trying to hear what I'm missing by not getting nicer equipment. I am a little worried about my credit card though. I have a terrible habit of getting into something new and having to get all the accessories, whether I have a real need or not. I've already been browsing through the amp forum and I've always wanted to try out an external DAC...
redface.gif

Thanks again.

-Chris

Nov 16, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #10 of 21
Chris,

One thing I think that hasn't been brought up that needs to be addressed is your source. From the sound of it, it sounds like your computer would be the source... but what type of soundcard are you going to be using? On board sound or another soundcard?

I have used a friend's Etymotic ER-6i for about a week in a sit-down environment (while at work). It may be that model of headphone but my ears started to hurt after having them in for two or more hours. This was with the plastic tips and not the foam tips, but still note this.

At work I also used my computer as the source for the ER-6i and also a pair of Sennheiser HD280 headphones. The computer only has onboard soundcard (the front-panel plug on the Dell case, actually) and the noise floor was very noticeable... I could hear annoying noise and static when moving the mouse or scrolling a webpage.

My main concern is that if you are listening to classical and blues that there isn't any distortion in the music and are many quiet parts where the static or noise floor would be noticeable. If you are planning on using your computer as a source, I would without a doubt recommend a standalone soundcard. I personally use a SoundBlaster Audigy but many people in these parts recommend the Chinatech AV-710 which I have not used.

I usually have long-listening times with the Sennheiser HD280 at work. While they have a very snug and sometimes tight fit on my head, stretching them out over time with normal use and putting them straddling my computer case has made them more comfortable, and much more comfortable than IEMs.

I wouldn't be so quick to overlook some closed headphones although this thread has mostly supported IEMs. Sennheiser 280s can be found for ~$60-70 on the For Sale forums here and a bit more expensive retail but I would personally choose them over a set of Etymotic ER-6i.

Nov 16, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #11 of 21
Well, Chris, you've come to the wrong place--welcome to the rabbit hole!
very_evil_smiley.gif

But seriously, I think you will be very happy with the sf5p. And I think that the difference between a $100 IEM and a ~$200 IEM is significant enough to make it a good decision.

Edit: Whoa, overlooked musical preference...E4 for you.

Nov 16, 2005 at 1:31 PM Post #12 of 21
.........Isolation? an IEM is the definite winner. No headphone will equal them for isolation.
.........Comfort? that means a custom-molded IEM - taking your Etymotics or whatever and going to an audiologist. The best answer when considering the three factors of sound quality, comfort, and isolation - many would prefer Sensaphonics..........so here is where we arrive at cost as being a significant factor. Afterall, the Sensas will wind up costing you $800+ (including audiologist).....or at a lower cost factor, a pair of Ety er-6i will cost aprox $100 on eBay, then add. aprox $200 for the customization. It's all a matter of which standards you set for yourself.

Nov 16, 2005 at 1:40 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by iScream
Thanks to all of you for the replies. This will probably be a birthday present from my wife in the next week, so the budget is less than $300.00. Guess it won't be the UE-10 Pro.
wink.gif
I'm leaning even more toward the 5 Pro though. I think I'll probably ask her to order from somewhere with a good return policy, even if the price is a few dollars higher. At least it would only cost as much as the restocking fee, in case it doesn't work out for me.

Realistically, a $100 set would satisfy my needs as well as a $250.00 set, but I know myself well enough to realize I would drive myself crazy trying to hear what I'm missing by not getting nicer equipment. I am a little worried about my credit card though. I have a terrible habit of getting into something new and having to get all the accessories, whether I have a real need or not. I've already been browsing through the amp forum and I've always wanted to try out an external DAC...
redface.gif

Thanks again.

-Chris

If you want to do your wallet a favor, leave now and never come back
eggosmile.gif

Nov 16, 2005 at 9:51 PM Post #14 of 21
Hmmmmmm, I was looking at the Headroom website last night and now I'm thinking about trying out a set of BeyerDynamic 250-80 phones. I could always take them to work if I decide to go IEM at home. Just don't know.

-Chris

Nov 16, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by kukyfrope
Chris,

One thing I think that hasn't been brought up that needs to be addressed is your source. From the sound of it, it sounds like your computer would be the source... but what type of soundcard are you going to be using? On board sound or another soundcard?

I have two choices for a source right now. I can either plug directly into my soundcard, which is a SoundBlaster Audigy, or I can plug into the control unit for my PC speakers. I suspect the soundcard will be cleaner but the speaker controller would be much more convenient as it sits directly in front of me, between my monitors. My speaker system is a fairly high end Altec Lansing setup, which sounds great on it's own. I suspect the sound from the headphone jack would be pretty decent. I suppose it can't be better than straight out of the soundcard though, and probably makes the sound worse to some degree. Whether I can pick that out is another question though...

-Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back