IEM for metal? Thinking maybe DBA-02 or Q-jays.
Jan 11, 2011 at 12:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

qualm

New Head-Fier
So I really want a pair of good headphones.  I just got a Clip+ and Rockboxed  it to listen to FLAC files.  I went with the Clip because FLAC and a ton of space.  Now I really need a decent pair of headphones.  I listen to mainly metal of sorts.  Well using metal to describe what I listen to is the easy way.

Here are some examples of what I listen to:

Opeth
Wolves in the Throne Room
Agalloch
Klabautamann
Angel Eyes (from Chicago)
Isis
Meshuggah
Gojira
A forest of Stars
Tool

The music generally has a really wide range from double bass drums, guitar, and screaming to acoustic guitar, violin, piano, and melodic singing.  There are a lot of long drawn out soundscapes as well with the musicians just jamming for 5 minutes or so.  I really like anything that shows creativity on the harder, darker end of the spectrum.

Any advice for an IEM for around $200USD?

Thanks

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #2 of 20
Well I'm fairly new to the forums(as a poster anyway, been reading for ages) Anyway I listen to plenty of metal, amongst other things. I'd say DBA-02 is a good choice but if you really want to near some nice doublebass kicks that doesn't sound like farts you can amp the DBA-02 for more bass or just get a cheaper Hippos VBs

Jan 11, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #4 of 20
Nope, the dba-02s are great IEMs that produce very accurate sounds, fast enough for metal and definitely won't produce the bassfarts but they just won't give the nice thump that the VBs can produce. I particularly enjoy feeling the bass down in my chest when I'm listening to metal, though I'm no basshead. It just suits the music more, you'll know what I mean if you listened to the Slipknot Live albums haha. 

Jan 11, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #7 of 20
You can check out the Klipsch Custom 3 and the Panasonic HJE900 if you can find one.  I love my DBA w/ metal and just flip a switch on my Arrow amp to boost kick drums.

Jan 11, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #8 of 20
On that budget I suggested Westone UM3X used, the dryness and forward mid is perfect for guitar distortion and also the flat sound from deep bass drum is great for double pedal pattern :)

Jan 11, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #9 of 20

Quote:
On that budget I suggested Westone UM3X used, the dryness and forward mid is perfect for guitar distortion and also the flat sound from deep bass drum is great for double pedal pattern :)

How's the treble on the UM3X though?  It's not too warm or dark is it?  I don't like metal w/o enough treble energy.  Monster Coppers also fit the bill for Bass, Treble and dry mids.

Jan 12, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:
ive been asking this same exact question in a thread i made and some say the tripe fi 10s rock pretty good for metal and rock , still looking tho for more suggestions lol

I'm personally not a fan of the TF10 for guitar-oriented music. The mids are, to me, too recessed.

Jan 12, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #14 of 20
Thanks for the info about that thread.  I surfed it for awhile.  Thanks for the other suggestions but I am trying to stay under $200 even used UM3X are going for about 300$ and so are the Monster Coppers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back