IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Jan 23, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #1,771 of 2,098
How is the 7HZ Timeless, or Timeless AE for metal? They are supposed to be super fast, energetic and exciting.

Jan 23, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #1,772 of 2,098
I like Timeless for Metal (some material can be a little bit sharp - upper mids/lower treble - but can be EQ'd down)
Still own a pair even though I have "better" more expensive gear handy. I use them for the gym but they were the reason I went ahead and sold my MEST mkii (also my gym iem). They got me 98% of the way there and were, as a bonus, more coherent having the 1 driver.

I am not sure I would call them exciting per se. They have soft dynamics, but I never find myself in a state of downgrade feelings when I listen to them. And sometimes continue on through the night after the gym as I get hooked on the sound again. I actually prefer Timeless to the Campfire Supermoon (another planar, but a $1400 one) for metal specifically. They have a good combination of detail and lack of that fits the way I like my metal presented quite well.

Definitely worth the price of entry. No idea about the AE version though.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #1,773 of 2,098
I like Timeless for Metal (some material can be a little bit sharp - upper mids/lower treble - but can be EQ'd down)
Still own a pair even though I have "better" more expensive gear handy. I use them for the gym but they were the reason I went ahead and sold my MEST mkii (also my gym iem). They got me 98% of the way there and were, as a bonus, more coherent having the 1 driver.

I am not sure I would call them exciting per se. They have soft dynamics, but I never find myself in a state of downgrade feelings when I listen to them. And sometimes continue on through the night after the gym as I get hooked on the sound again. I actually prefer Timeless to the Campfire Supermoon (another planar, but a $1400 one) for metal specifically. They have a good combination of detail and lack of that fits the way I like my metal presented quite well.

Definitely worth the price of entry. No idea about the AE version though.
I have the Timeless AE on order from Amazon. I don’t like the mention of soft dynamics but hopefully I don’t find it too bad.

Jan 23, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #1,774 of 2,098
I have the Timeless AE on order from Amazon. I don’t like the mention of soft dynamics but hopefully I don’t find it too bad.
I wouldn’t worry about it.
I am hyper sensitive to it and own 2 very dynamic, very expensive iem’s that I can’t help but compare against with my impressions.

Jan 23, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #1,775 of 2,098
I wouldn’t worry about it.
I am hyper sensitive to it and own 2 very dynamic, very expensive iem’s that I can’t help but compare against with my impressions.
I’ve read people say they have “visceral bass impact”, and “satisfying punch”.

Jan 23, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #1,776 of 2,098
I’ve read people say they have “visceral bass impact”, and “satisfying punch”.
I'd agree with that. Sits in between BA (least) and DD (most) generally speaking.

Jan 24, 2023 at 3:48 AM Post #1,777 of 2,098
Jan 24, 2023 at 3:51 AM Post #1,778 of 2,098
I'll reiterate again: UM Mest MK2 & Mest Indigo. They're both amazing for prog and just metal in general. If you have the budget don't hesitate. I'm listeing to the new Haken right now and they're both fantastic.
Well, it's way beyond my budget... Maybe someday )

Jan 24, 2023 at 4:01 AM Post #1,779 of 2,098
In response to @Grim13 , unfortunately both UM IEMs are well north of the $250-$300 price range indicated. Would something like the Mangrids Tea 2 get close on a budget?
Tea 2 interested me, I'll do some research, thank you!
But still, what do you think about the IEMs from my list?

Jan 24, 2023 at 4:05 AM Post #1,780 of 2,098
How is the 7HZ Timeless, or Timeless AE for metal? They are supposed to be super fast, energetic and exciting.
I'm also focused on Timeless for now, and I'm very interested in which version will be better for metal - OG or AE?

Sorry guys, I haven't figured out how the multi-quoting function works yet )

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #1,781 of 2,098
I'm also focused on Timeless for now, and I'm very interested in which version will be better for metal - OG or AE?

Sorry guys, I haven't figured out how the multi-quoting function works yet )
The AE is supposed to be slightly smoother up top, and has more bass. I’m guessing that I’ll probably be EQ’ing out like 3-4 dB of bass, but we’ll see. It definitely graphs as having more bass than I usually prefer, but again, we’ll see.

Jan 24, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #1,782 of 2,098
The AE is supposed to be slightly smoother up top, and has more bass. I’m guessing that I’ll probably be EQ’ing out like 3-4 dB of bass, but we’ll see. It definitely graphs as having more bass than I usually prefer, but again, we’ll see.
Are you going to buy AEs?

Jan 24, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #1,783 of 2,098
Are you going to buy AEs?
I ordered them from Amazon yesterday. Supposedly arriving next Tuesday. Amazon has been super slow lately for me. I ordered a Truthear Hexa over a week ago which still hasn’t even shipped. If the Hexa ever comes and the Timeless blows it away I’ll probably return it.

But it’s almost like Amazon thinks headphones are low priority or something…

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #1,784 of 2,098
Not bad option, as far as I can tell. However, according to the review, they're more suitable for pop music than for metal.
yeah, softears gives them the classic asian tune, so maybe you can evaluate fiio fh5, quoted in the comparison, although I don't know, 7hz could be an option too.

Jan 24, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #1,785 of 2,098
Hey Guys!! New to audiophile. I’m in the very basic learning phase . I just brought my first pair of higher end IEM. I went with fiio H7s and the JA3 dac. First album I chose was dark side of the moon. I couldn’t wait to hear what that sounded like in hi fi . Needless to say it didn’t hesitate to move me. What an incredible difference, however I was curious to see how metal sounded . I love all types from AC/DC, halen to metalica to lamb of god and as I lie dying . First choice was dio rainbow in the dark and then holy diver . I was a little disappointed. Don’t get me wrong the sound quality is incredible, a far cry from what I was listening to before but I guess I was looking for that smash you in the face, heavy crunch and i didn’t hear that .It sounded to low or light . I don’t know how to discribe what I’m looking for yet or even the correct terms I just know I was looking for something different. Is it the specific iem I chose? Maybe it’s geared more to bass ? Any suggestions or help understanding this would be greatly appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back