IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Oct 12, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #1,711 of 2,106
Been a hot minute since I poked my head in here, just browsing the pages, wondering if there's anything new under $500 that might replaced my beloved Fiio FD5. The 7Hz Timeless seems the best bet.

Oct 12, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #1,713 of 2,106
I think it's not right to say "for this kind of rock" because what appeals to us all in that can change. Two fans of the same music may want a different sound sig. Gotta say what elements of it you care the most about.

Oct 12, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #1,714 of 2,106
I think it's not right to say "for this kind of rock" because what appeals to us all in that can change. Two fans of the same music may want a different sound sig. Gotta say what elements of it you care the most about.
yeah you're right. i'm kind of an amateur so forgive any errors in my description.
i'd say i prefer a v or u-shaped sound signature. i found purely neutral a little sterile and thin for rock (ex. moondrop tuning). the iem would be purely for entretainment and not for monitoring.
i think good mids for the vocals and guitars, but not too forward (kinda in my face).
treble not too sparkly.
a decent amount of bass to fell the drums and bass notes. without the bass leaking to the mids
good details and separation. doesn't need a huge soundstage.
i was considering a barely used ier-z1r, but many reviews said it have thin mids.
any suggestions are welcome

Oct 14, 2022 at 4:30 AM Post #1,718 of 2,106
I actually have the ff3 earbud and like it.. do you know if it is a similar sound signature?
No sorry i don't know ff3, but fh9 is far to be sterile and thin, z1r I think is not great with this genre as you said and difficult to find under 1k

Oct 14, 2022 at 4:54 AM Post #1,719 of 2,106
Massive metal (extreme mostly) listener, hardly intervene in this thread, but I was thinking now might be a good time to Practice what I preached (well, my ears at least):
Spiral Ears SE6 Edge

They surely don't come cheap (hell, there's Justice for all), but they're really high amon the contenders. I own Rhapsodio Infinity Mk2 too and they're In league with Satan concerning ernergy and dynamics. However, they might lack a bit of coherency all across the spectrum and a bit of rumble.

There go the SE6 Edge. What they lack in global energy, they do compensate with the sheer coherency of all the spectrum. Drum kicks and bass are all given their due respect with the subwoofer capable of reaching deep low when asked for, and the traditional Spiral Ears mid-bump do accomodate perfectly saturated guitars.

Add in their ability to easily retrieve the furthest detail (very helpful when your record is uh... not so well recorded) as well as their soft character that do not destroy bad mixes/recordings, even though the highs climb high and detailed, and the end result is a very-well suited pair for metal.

I personnally can miss the sparkle sometimes that provides the extra agressivity, that is not their character, but they do deserve the listening.

Oct 15, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #1,720 of 2,106
Massive metal (extreme mostly) listener, hardly intervene in this thread, but I was thinking now might be a good time to Practice what I preached (well, my ears at least):
Spiral Ears SE6 Edge

They surely don't come cheap (hell, there's Justice for all), but they're really high amon the contenders. I own Rhapsodio Infinity Mk2 too and they're In league with Satan concerning ernergy and dynamics. However, they might lack a bit of coherency all across the spectrum and a bit of rumble.

There go the SE6 Edge. What they lack in global energy, they do compensate with the sheer coherency of all the spectrum. Drum kicks and bass are all given their due respect with the subwoofer capable of reaching deep low when asked for, and the traditional Spiral Ears mid-bump do accomodate perfectly saturated guitars.

Add in their ability to easily retrieve the furthest detail (very helpful when your record is uh... not so well recorded) as well as their soft character that do not destroy bad mixes/recordings, even though the highs climb high and detailed, and the end result is a very-well suited pair for metal.

I personnally can miss the sparkle sometimes that provides the extra agressivity, that is not their character, but they do deserve the listening.
If i read well is like 3k for the se6 edge?

Oct 16, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #1,722 of 2,106
Fiio FH9 : Precise, clear, detailed without being dry or thin. A nice impact. Very suitable for Metal for me (more than Advar for example).

Oct 17, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #1,723 of 2,106
I wonder if tip selection is worth bringing up. Because I know on the FD5 some tips (spinfits especially) really blow the bass out and then the Azla Crystals help tame the bass and let the mids shine much better.

Oct 17, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #1,724 of 2,106
I'm a new poster here, I love the IMR ACOUSTICS EDP ACE and the Acoustune HS1670SS for metal

Oct 17, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #1,725 of 2,106
I'm a new poster here, I love the IMR ACOUSTICS EDP ACE and the Acoustune HS1670SS for metal
The downside is that the IMR ace is short run and limited, but in combo with the WM1A it's a blast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back