IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Aug 9, 2022 at 2:37 AM Post #1,666 of 2,094
DISCLAIMER:
I put down the source used at the time I had the iems, to give better perspective, as some of these iems changed drastically with source, and my experience may differ to yours

Some may be ranked lower due to having synergy that isn't ideal, looking at ej07 and ier m9 here, plunge quad BA too. (for example while the cupids were always sonically pleasing with 90% of sources, they're overly warm and congested with the n6ii ti r01 module, contrast to their synergy with the ifi diablo which makes them technically superior to all iems but the plunge customs.

Ironically the plunge customs become thin and shrill with the ifi diablo)

Source independant means they sound good no matter what, even using generic phone 3.5mm jack.

1. plunge audio dual planar single dd custom + r2r2000 black
2. Obravo cupid + ifi diablo
3. surprisingly, sony ex800st + n6ii ti
4. solaris 2020, source independant
5. solaris SE, source independant
6. ier z1r, ifi diablo
7. mest mk1, r2r2000 red
8. plunge audio quad ba cable-down custom, source independant
9. ier m9, ibasso dc01 (good feeling that a better source would make this one jump up a few ranks, heard this iem scales well)
9. shuoer ej07, r2r2000 black
10. solaris og, r2r2000 red / n6ii e02
11. xba n3 and everything below (wfxm3, bunch of kz iems)

Should've found this thread earlier! \m/

Aug 15, 2022 at 2:43 AM Post #1,670 of 2,094
I recently got some Empire Ears Nemesis, and for my personal taste, it's the best IEM I've tried for metal.
It's definitely not a neutral or natural sound, it's pretty colored at both ends, but OMG what a kick!
Listening to Amon Amarth (to say the least) with them is a worthwhile experience!

Aug 15, 2022 at 3:38 AM Post #1,671 of 2,094
Hey there, it seems this thread is more or less dead, but I will take a shot anyway. I am looking for my end game IEM for death/black metal. I prefer the meaty, low end/ mid range rich signature, nothing analytical or flat. My current daily IEMs are budget sets of Mele and T3+, I prefer both of these over my Arias and Starfields. I recently bought the S12 as well, its too aggressive for me out of the box but I quite successfully tamed its treble via EQ. But as I said, I am looking for my endgame pair and I have constructed my top 3:

Mangird XENNS UP
DUNU Studio SA6
TANCHJIM Oxygen

I enjoyed their "demo" samples via some Youtube videos, but I know I should take those samples with a grain of salt. Originally the SA6 and Oxygen were at the top of my list, but I am afraid their more neutral signature may be underwhelming for me as I am looking for something beefier and fuller with a sizable amount of "punch". So because of that I am now leaning more towards the UP which has a more dominant presence in the low end.

Did anyone have a chance to hear all three of these and could share their impressions/comparisons?
Softears RSV + Class A Amp or R2R dac = 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

Aug 15, 2022 at 3:39 AM Post #1,672 of 2,094
What are some suggested tips to use for the Mest Mk2? I have tried the ones that come with it and I dont hear that bass that people are talking about with this set. I have a feeling its between the tips and the seal I am getting. Thank you.
Azla Sedna MAX, I go one size smaller for a deeper fit,

Aug 15, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #1,674 of 2,094
Just as a recommendation for a smaller budget. Tin hifi T3+, eq'd to HBB target (I used Paul Wasabii squigs autoEQ to the HBB target, since his measurements seemed to line up better with my T3+) is damn good for rock and metal. I really enjoy the sound with these.

Aug 15, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #1,675 of 2,094
Always curious about the rsv, but I'm afraid they're too much on the safe tuning side, and without a good punch in the bass, aren't them?
For me they need EQ. But with EQ I like their sound more than U12t, Andromeda and other fullBA TOTLs

Aug 15, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #1,677 of 2,094
Hey guys!

First of all - welcome all! I have been reading that forum for a few years now but I finally summoned the courage to open an account here :wink:

I want to share my dream rig for metal and rock on the go. It took me like two or three years until I found my final solution, and this is it:

Craft Ears Aurum + CM Cable Dark (balanced) + Shanling M6 Pro.

Damn guys, what a TOTL sound it is... you have to try it :wink:
Have a nice day!

Aug 15, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #1,678 of 2,094
Hey guys!

First of all - welcome all! I have been reading that forum for a few years now but I finally summoned the courage to open an account here :wink:

I want to share my dream rig for metal and rock on the go. It took me like two or three years until I found my final solution, and this is it:

Craft Ears Aurum + CM Cable Dark (balanced) + Shanling M6 Pro.

Damn guys, what a TOTL sound it is... you have to try it :wink:
Have a nice day!
Hi mate, thanks for sharing, seems like a great setup, custom art and craft ears are very interesting producers.
What kind of metal do you listen to?

Aug 15, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #1,679 of 2,094
Hi mate, thanks for sharing, seems like a great setup, custom art and craft ears are very interesting producers.
What kind of metal do you listen to?
Yeah! Polish quality :D
Mostly hard rock, progressive and alternative metal but from time to time something even harder. My discovery of this month is Jinjer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back