IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Jun 7, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #1,652 of 2,094
Can I throw in the Tripowin Olina (with dual damper mod) as a most enjoyable, affordable option for those amongst us who can’t afford the dizzy heights of kilo buck IEM’s? I’m really quite taken back by the quality of them, they’re very comfortable for me and with the dual damper mod (additional filter over the nozzle filter) they sound very well balanced. Layering is decent, sound stage reasonable and they can keep up with everything I’ve thrown at them so far.

Avenged Sevenfold, Shinedown, FFDP, Corey Taylor… all sound Devine.

Jul 2, 2022 at 5:08 AM Post #1,654 of 2,094
Just posted this on the metal headphones thread, sorry for those who double-read this double post.
Avantgarde are running a Bandcamp promo until Monday whereby you can get their entire digital line-up of 182 releases for just $123.

Jul 6, 2022 at 1:51 AM Post #1,656 of 2,094
Got myself Thieaudio Oracle, so good in metal music! A lot of detail, strong, but no agressive highs, lovely mids with punch in guitars, bass focused on subbas giving just right amount of meat, nice soundstage. Love them!
Which tips do you use? I would like to have slightly deeper insertion than the stock ones.

Jul 31, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #1,657 of 2,094
Hey there, it seems this thread is more or less dead, but I will take a shot anyway. I am looking for my end game IEM for death/black metal. I prefer the meaty, low end/ mid range rich signature, nothing analytical or flat. My current daily IEMs are budget sets of Mele and T3+, I prefer both of these over my Arias and Starfields. I recently bought the S12 as well, its too aggressive for me out of the box but I quite successfully tamed its treble via EQ. But as I said, I am looking for my endgame pair and I have constructed my top 3:

Mangird XENNS UP
DUNU Studio SA6
TANCHJIM Oxygen

I enjoyed their "demo" samples via some Youtube videos, but I know I should take those samples with a grain of salt. Originally the SA6 and Oxygen were at the top of my list, but I am afraid their more neutral signature may be underwhelming for me as I am looking for something beefier and fuller with a sizable amount of "punch". So because of that I am now leaning more towards the UP which has a more dominant presence in the low end.

Did anyone have a chance to hear all three of these and could share their impressions/comparisons?

Jul 31, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #1,658 of 2,094
Hey there, it seems this thread is more or less dead, but I will take a shot anyway. I am looking for my end game IEM for death/black metal. I prefer the meaty, low end/ mid range rich signature, nothing analytical or flat. My current daily IEMs are budget sets of Mele and T3+, I prefer both of these over my Arias and Starfields. I recently bought the S12 as well, its too aggressive for me out of the box but I quite successfully tamed its treble via EQ. But as I said, I am looking for my endgame pair and I have constructed my top 3:

Mangird XENNS UP
DUNU Studio SA6
TANCHJIM Oxygen

I enjoyed their "demo" samples via some Youtube videos, but I know I should take those samples with a grain of salt. Originally the SA6 and Oxygen were at the top of my list, but I am afraid their more neutral signature may be underwhelming for me as I am looking for something beefier and fuller with a sizable amount of "punch". So because of that I am now leaning more towards the UP which has a more dominant presence in the low end.

Did anyone have a chance to hear all three of these and could share their impressions/comparisons?
Hi there, a metal thread can never be dead :D i've had a pair of sa6, although they have a really really good price performance ratio, there was no spark, they're flat and neutral, and especially listening to metal I missed that emotion that other iems can give. Just my opinion.
Can't help with the other two, but heard good things about xenns up

Jul 31, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #1,659 of 2,094

Mangird XENNS UP
DUNU Studio SA6
TANCHJIM Oxygen

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/isn-h50.25550/reviews#review-28946

The H50 due to the 10mm dynamic and the fact that the W signature is more forgiving than most, while still balanced and detailed in the mids and treble.

Almost the whole thing about the H50 is the speed and detail of the lows, being able to be both fast and accurate as well as deep. Better than the SA6 for deepness as well as how the mids and treble are handled. Less bright, plus better definition, not using brightness to get there.

Of course all this still comes down to subjective taste.....ultimately in the end.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #1,660 of 2,094
Hi there, a metal thread can never be dead :D i've had a pair of sa6, although they have a really really good price performance ratio, there was no spark, they're flat and neutral, and especially listening to metal I missed that emotion that other iems can give. Just my opinion.
Can't help with the other two, but heard good things about xenns up
Thanks for confirming my suspicions about the SA6, I am getting more and more certain I will dodge the bullet passion on them. I again listened to some XENNS demos and if they sound even close to those demos, I will probably love them, so its almost a done deal.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/isn-h50.25550/reviews#review-28946

The H50 due to the 10mm dynamic and the fact that the W signature is more forgiving than most, while still balanced and detailed in the mids and treble.

Almost the whole thing about the H50 is the speed and detail of the lows, being able to be both fast and accurate as well as deep. Better than the SA6 for deepness as well as how the mids and treble are handled. Less bright, plus better definition, not using brightness to get there.

Of course all this still comes down to subjective taste.....ultimately in the end.
Thanks, I will do some further due diligence on them, your enthusiasm for them in the linked review is definitely infectious.

Aug 3, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #1,661 of 2,094
Thanks for confirming my suspicions about the SA6, I am getting more and more certain I will dodge the bullet passion on them. I again listened to some XENNS demos and if they sound even close to those demos, I will probably love them, so its almost a done deal.

Thanks, I will do some further due diligence on them, your enthusiasm for them in the linked review is definitely infectious.
No problems, sa6 are great iems, but Dunu named them studio not by chance and I think they can work very well for musicians.

Aug 8, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #1,662 of 2,094
What are some suggested tips to use for the Mest Mk2? I have tried the ones that come with it and I dont hear that bass that people are talking about with this set. I have a feeling its between the tips and the seal I am getting. Thank you.

Aug 8, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #1,663 of 2,094
The Turii Ti with proper seal is a must for metal. Honestly, I wasn't expecting it.

Aug 8, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #1,664 of 2,094
The Turii Ti with proper seal is a must for metal. Honestly, I wasn't expecting it.
Turii 🤘

It’s been a minute. Might as well update my mini rankings.
  1. Softears Turii OG
  2. FiR Audio Kr5
  3. MEST mkii (w/ SE adapter + EQ + AR-M2)
  4. Rhapsodio Eden
  5. 64 Audio Fourté Noir
  6. Campfire Solaris OG
  7. 7Hz Timeless
  8. Oriolus Isabellae

Users who are viewing this thread

Back