IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Jul 20, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #1,276 of 2,094
After selling the EJ07 I had bought tje UM 3DT and then my last purchase, the CA Vega 2020.
UM 3DT are even better than EJ07 imho, because the sound quality is the same but the price was the half.

I remember that EJ07 were linear with very good treble extension but to me they lacked the bass kick that I like.
3DT are more engaging to me, maybe they have the best tonality and details level for their price range.
Vega 2020 are bass cannon, with very organic sound and I love them, but they are a bit slow for fast prog metal subgenres and they risk to sound a little muddy.

Thanks again. The 3DT was mentioned before as well, I'm just afraid with the fit has the shells look to be huge.

Jul 25, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #1,277 of 2,094
Hi everyone!

I'm new to IEM and audio, and I have learned the hard-way not all IEM works with Metal music :)
I started with the MEE M6 Pro, and the treble were way too bright. As I listen to a lot of Symphonic Metal, this was painful. My 2nd purchase was the BLON-BL03. The tremble were much tamer, but the bass was muddy to my taste. They both sound better with AutoEQ into Herman, but they lose instruments seperation and the extra omf I want in Metal (I assume that's because V shape works better for Metal?)

People suggested me to try the KS DQ6, as they are more technical. The more precise bass and the better instruments separation going to work better on energetic metal. I also understand the DQ6 treble can be painful or too bright, but mesh MOD can tame those (or EQ).

So before I buy 3rd set of IEM, I assumed it's a good idea to ask in a Metal dedicated thread :)

So, IEM. Budget (I plan to spend more money in the future, but right now, because I'm still trying to understand what "works" for my ear, budget it is). No problems with Chifi IEMs. I listen to a lot of music (depends on the mod. From Jazz to Metal and from Classical Music to Electronic), but Metal/rock is the main genre.
I enjoy symphonic metal like Epica/Nightwish etc, but again - I can still enjoy Death Metal, Doom Metal, Power metal, Industrial, etc etc.

Thanks!

Jul 25, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #1,278 of 2,094
Hi everyone!

I'm new to IEM and audio, and I have learned the hard-way not all IEM works with Metal music :)
I started with the MEE M6 Pro, and the treble were way too bright. As I listen to a lot of Symphonic Metal, this was painful. My 2nd purchase was the BLON-BL03. The tremble were much tamer, but the bass was muddy to my taste. They both sound better with AutoEQ into Herman, but they lose instruments seperation and the extra omf I want in Metal (I assume that's because V shape works better for Metal?)

People suggested me to try the KS DQ6, as they are more technical. The more precise bass and the better instruments separation going to work better on energetic metal. I also understand the DQ6 treble can be painful or too bright, but mesh MOD can tame those (or EQ).

So before I buy 3rd set of IEM, I assumed it's a good idea to ask in a Metal dedicated thread :)

So, IEM. Budget (I plan to spend more money in the future, but right now, because I'm still trying to understand what "works" for my ear, budget it is). No problems with Chifi IEMs. I listen to a lot of music (depends on the mod. From Jazz to Metal and from Classical Music to Electronic), but Metal/rock is the main genre.
I enjoy symphonic metal like Epica/Nightwish etc, but again - I can still enjoy Death Metal, Doom Metal, Power metal, Industrial, etc etc.

Thanks!
Yes,
get the DQ6, it's great for metal,
next upgrade path would be the 3DT,

though,
for under $100 my best metal rec is still:
TRN BA5,

you could turn up the volume so loud without any discomfort,

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2021 at 12:53 AM Post #1,280 of 2,094
My favorite IEMs for metal are the FH3 and the DUNU EST 112.
Those do are above 100$, which isn't what I'm aiming for right now (mostly because I still looking for what I like, an I prefer to experience on low budget IEMs).

though,
for under $100 my best metal rec is still:
TRN BA5,
That's are also in the budget option. What makes those better than the DQ6, and why should I prefer one over the other?

Thanks!

Jul 26, 2021 at 1:02 AM Post #1,281 of 2,094
Those do are above 100$, which isn't what I'm aiming for right now (mostly because I still looking for what I like, an I prefer to experience on low budget IEMs).

That's are also in the budget option. What makes those better than the DQ6, and why should I prefer one over the other?

Thanks!
For metal, you need:
- Fast & controlled bass
- Subdued, non fatiguing upper mid,
- Fast treble, to get a better separation,
- extended upper treble

if you like a graph,
search for something like this
Screenshot_20210722-012507180 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #1,283 of 2,094
Thank you, kept it as reference. So I guess I'll check review on either the DQ6 or TRN BA5, see which is is preferred and go with that. Any specific tips that go well with that?
Final Audio Type E,
get the black one,

Aug 3, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #1,285 of 2,094
I wanna say a big thanks to everyone in this thread. I was looking for a better metal iem than the Moondrop B2 Dusk and settled on the UM 3DT which arrived today and initial impressions are that it is way more technically capable for metal.

I'm still waiting on some new Azla Crystal tips which should arrive any day now before giving my full impressions in comparison to the Monarch, but for only $320 the 3DT are some damn fine iems.

Edit: I caved and did some tip rolling and aside from the Xelastecs I find the ones they came with, the regular Azla Sedna Short, actually sound the best out of the spinfits (100+, 155, 360), final type E, and Azla Light. They bring out the mid and treble and even extend the treble without making it harsh.

Edit2: **** I need to sleep to wake up and watch lasha destroy some mind boggling weight but the coherence of this iem is addictive.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #1,286 of 2,094
I wanna say a big thanks to everyone in this thread. I was looking for a better metal iem than the Moondrop B2 Dusk and settled on the UM 3DT which arrived today and initial impressions are that it is way more technically capable for metal.

I'm still waiting on some new Azla Crystal tips which should arrive any day now before giving my full impressions in comparison to the Monarch, but for only $320 the 3DT are some damn fine iems.

Edit: I caved and did some tip rolling and aside from the Xelastecs I find the ones they came with, the regular Azla Sedna Short, actually sound the best out of the spinfits (100+, 155, 360), final type E, and Azla Light. They bring out the mid and treble and even extend the treble without making it harsh.

Edit2: **** I need to sleep to wake up and watch lasha destroy some mind boggling weight but the coherence of this iem is addictive.
it will get better after 50+ hours, 🍺
what is your source ?

Aug 4, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #1,287 of 2,094
Sorry, I don't believe in burn-in or cables. I use the element 2 on desktop and Qudelix on mobile. I also used autoEQ to make them more harman and surprisingly they don't sound much different. Very very good tuning out-of-the-box to my ears. Only nitpicks are drums have more oomph now, mids are less recessed and treble has a bit more clash in the cymbals but all to a very minor extent unlike the Monarch which is tuned to the same EQ target and I can't listen to without EQ, especially for metal.

Aug 4, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #1,288 of 2,094
Sorry, I don't believe in burn-in or cables. I use the element 2 on desktop and Qudelix on mobile. I also used autoEQ to make them more harman and surprisingly they don't sound much different. Very very good tuning out-of-the-box to my ears. Only nitpicks are drums have more oomph now, mids are less recessed and treble has a bit more clash in the cymbals but all to a very minor extent unlike the Monarch which is tuned to the same EQ target and I can't listen to without EQ, especially for metal.
There is a mod for a smoother upper mid & treble,
but if you like it at stock then it's good, 👍

Aug 4, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #1,289 of 2,094
Do you have a link to the mod? As for with the Azla stock tips and xelastecs the treble is fine since, for instance, this track doesn't pierce the ever-loving-crap out of my ears (serious treble warning starting at 0:45!!):

Aug 4, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #1,290 of 2,094
So the Azla Crystal tips just arrived and even after an hour straight of listening there is no deformation! Sound is about the exact same as the Xelastecs to my ears which is what I hoped. Isolation is also fantastic. They still have the same sticky feeling and so probably will still be dust magnets. But I'm guessing they will clean easier and safer since they don't deform.

Attachments

• PXL_20210804_232105728.jpg
    PXL_20210804_232105728.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20210804_235602745.jpg
    PXL_20210804_235602745.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back