IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Feb 22, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #976 of 2,094
Partly because the FD5 is just plain better, and partly because the Believe were giving me the "clouded filter" issue and while they sounded amazing I'm someone who gets really obsessive over little annoyances like that.
alright cool thx for the answer. I have the belive on their way and tyring to figure out what kind of dac/amp to get for them. have you used the fiio bTR3k or the 5 with them? would that be enough power

Feb 22, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #977 of 2,094
alright cool thx for the answer. I have the belive on their way and tyring to figure out what kind of dac/amp to get for them. have you used the fiio bTR3k or the 5 with them? would that be enough power

BTR5 in my pocket right now haha. The Believe needs some extra juice to drive, depending on how loud you like it it's either perfectly fine as is or you should pick up the 2.5mm balanced cable.

Feb 23, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #978 of 2,094
I wouldn’t really recommend the Mangird Tea for those genres. The tuning can be very nice for it, and it doesn‘t really have harsh points in tuning, but the bass, while great, is not very fast. On very fast metal, there is some smearing and a bit too much overhang. I think the Tea is excellent for all other genres though. Some of my favorite IEMs for metal include the UM MEST, UM 3DT, LZ A7, and KBEar Believe. I’m quite sure the iBasso IT07 is also superb with metal, though I personally haven’t heard it.
Thanks for steering me to the right thread!

Feb 24, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #979 of 2,094
Since some have brought up the LCD-3 I wonder if you have also heard the Penon Volt and do they sound similar? I see some of the same language used to describe the sound (warm, organic, texured, great bass, not overly bright)
I really fell in love with the Audeze house sound the more I listened. Or any other IEMs that capture the same sound as the Audezes.
Music used: Tool, Beastwars, ISIS, Dark Tranquility, Megadeath, Pantera, System of a Down, Black Tundra, Brunt, Iah, Stoned Jesus, and various other Sludge Doom Stoner Prog Metal

Feb 25, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #981 of 2,094
FD5 FD5 FD5

For sub-$500 anyway. If you're going really TOTL, though, I can't help with that.

Feb 25, 2021 at 9:46 PM Post #982 of 2,094
Guys..
Clairvoyance vs ej07 vs xelentos?
Im.coming from form 1.1
I like v shape with decent low end for my metal
Empire Ears Legend X

Feb 25, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #983 of 2,094
Since some have brought up the LCD-3
That was me. I just sold my LCD-3s because my speakers out-resolve them (but aren't able to match planar low distortion, zero phase shift bass characteristics). Your playlist sounds like the genres I had enjoyed the most with Audeze headphones.

You could just get the Audeze LCD-i3s, which seem like a good deal at $899 because they come with Audeze's Cipher bluetooth cable. You would be getting something that their engineers have designed to work as a whole system, and wouldn't be needing to spend a lot of time system matching. You won't get good isolation of outside noise with those. Soundstage and imaging could be better than what I have now (below average), I would hope so, with something of that size and weight.

My Shanling ME700s are super at isolation but don't sound like the LCD-2, LCD-3 or LCD-X at all, so those probably wouldn't be your cup of tea. I do love their warm, plentiful DD bass, without which I would enjoy rock music in particular less.

There are so many Chinese IEMs these days, that I have problems keeping up with them. I do write down some of the names I see on here for future reference.

I will look at the Penon Volt as $799 is as much as I want to spend on a second set of IEMs, so thank you for that. Their DD/BA/electrostatic combo sounds like a good one to me.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #984 of 2,094
I will look at the Penon Volt as $799 is as much as I want to spend on a second set of IEMs, so thank you for that. Their DD/BA/electrostatic combo sounds like a good one to me.
Given the topic of this thread, while I really like the Volt, it is not one of my top picks for metal. The tuning works if you’re wanting a warm sound, with smooth mids, and tame treble, where there will be no harshness, but still good detail. The bass isn’t the fastest though, and has some trouble keeping up with the fastest songs.

Feb 26, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #986 of 2,094
Given the topic of this thread, while I really like the Volt, it is not one of my top picks for metal. The tuning works if you’re wanting a warm sound, with smooth mids, and tame treble, where there will be no harshness, but still good detail. The bass isn’t the fastest though, and has some trouble keeping up with the fastest songs.

I feel like I must listen to metal differently than a lot of y'all because even the KZ ZSX gave me plenty of "keeping up" with the likes of Archspire and Brain Drill. I have yet to figure out what's going on when people talk about bass being "too slow." It's not like those 300+ bpm kick drums stop sounding distinct.

Feb 26, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #987 of 2,094
I feel like I must listen to metal differently than a lot of y'all because even the KZ ZSX gave me plenty of "keeping up" with the likes of Archspire and Brain Drill. I have yet to figure out what's going on when people talk about bass being "too slow." It's not like those 300+ bpm kick drums stop sounding distinct.

I agree. Though technically, people can prove that by the very laws of physics, certain types of drivers can respond faster to the signal input, than others, people's ears don't always hear these things as quantifiable differences in the sound. The different instruments in the mix, in turn, may have differing attack and decay rates, and lots of natural distortion. Some of them reverberate for a long time. My speakers have phase shift galore compared to headphones (anything that has capacitor or coil crossovers will), but they still have many advantages.

We can look at square wave, impulse, and cumulative spectral decay plots for some headphones and speakers, to get an idea of their real time characteristics, and not just imagined ones. I am not aware of many such plots for IEMs, unfortunately. They probably aren't easy to measure.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #988 of 2,094
Feb 28, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #990 of 2,094
I was wondering the same exact thing; I have the Fearless S8F and the ThieAudio Clairvoyance and I want something with a little more midrange than the S8F, and still be smaller than the Clairvoyance. These keeps popping up in my mind...

Hey this might not be the right thread, but how's that going for you for the DT 177X? I'm looking for something to pair with it and I don't want to overdo it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back