IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Nov 10, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #391 of 2,099
Penon Audio offers some discounts:

Do you know that S8 Freedom has a design flaw: it has no lip on the nozzle.
I never found an issue with that design, using JVC Spiraldots now no issues at all. I had previously used spinfits, both of these never slipped out even once tbh

Nov 10, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #392 of 2,099
Well MEST is incredible. Listening to mayhem on them now. Best I’ve heard and I own Solaris and 1zr
Can you please do a side by side comparison with the S8F. MEST is a lotta money for my pocket and it's gonna take a while for me to get there but I'll do it if it's a huge upgrade over my S8F. Thought I would get the S8F and call it off rather than chasing the rabbit down the hole but here I am. So how does the MEST beat S8F is it a considerably huge upgrade ?

Nov 10, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #393 of 2,099
Can you please do a side by side comparison with the S8F. MEST is a lotta money for my pocket and it's gonna take a while for me to get there but I'll do it if it's a huge upgrade over my S8F. Thought I would get the S8F and call it off rather than chasing the rabbit down the hole but here I am. So how does the MEST beat S8F is it a considerably huge upgrade ?
I’ll do not listening before I do a side by side. Early impressions are there are more detail by MEST but I’ve not listened long enough to know if that gets fatiguing. One thing I can assure you of is that the s8f are fantastic iems. The fit is a little different on the MEST as you have to get a deep fit to get the bone conduction working.

Nov 10, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #394 of 2,099
As good as the MEST is, IMO, it’s not a “must have” at all. There are significant diminishing returns, and though I haven’t heard it yet, I’m sure the S8F is already amazing for this genre. basically, no FOMO necessary. I have the MEST and have been enjoying the Shozy Form 1.1 a lot lately.

Nov 10, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #395 of 2,099
As good as the MEST is, IMO, it’s not a “must have” at all. There are significant diminishing returns, and though I haven’t heard it yet, I’m sure the S8F is already amazing for this genre. basically, no FOMO necessary. I have the MEST and have been enjoying the Shozy Form 1.1 a lot lately.
I agree I love the MEST but you don’t need to spend that much to enjoy your metal. Let me see what the tape pro is like when I get it. I love the shozy form 1.1, proper non fatiguing listen

Nov 10, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #396 of 2,099
Sometimes, for example in these days, the inside of my ears hurts when I put the IEMs inside them. I'm using Spinfit and Comply, but it's not a problem of eartip, I think my ear canal has some sensitivity. Spinfits also make me itch. Sorry for my bad english, I hope I've been clear.
I was thinking about something like Fiio EM5 for these days, to give the ears some rest. Did someone try them? I'm afraid they are not good for metal.

Nov 10, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #397 of 2,099
Just found the thread and I’ve done a bit of reading to catch up. It’s all been very interesting.

Over 80% of my music listening is to metal and I, like most here, appreciate IEMs that have fast transients and good separation for metal music.

I currently use my Final A8000 and it’s (sole) beryllium driver is fast and detailed, with excellent bass texture and speed. Sounds like it’s ideal pairing for metal, and it can be. But, whilst having a relatively balanced sound profile, it is also quite damn bright and potentially over revealing in the treble. This means that it can be 50:50 whether any particular metal album I’m in the mood for sounds good or punishingly annoying. So yeah, it can be fatiguing, mainly with cymbals being overpowering and ‘in the way’ on some recordings. Sometimes when cymbals don’t sound piercing as such I hear a ‘smeared’ distraction in that area because of the slight brighter tuned response. I also find them best to use a darker source (Sony ZX2) which does help bring the treble to comfortable levels but the trade off there is the DAP also makes the sound a bit too congested at times.

So, I’m wondering whether the MEST or EJ07 might serve me better. I think I plan on buying one or the other of those and making the comparison to the A8000 and selling the loser! If that means I chose the cheaper one then so be it! (Of course, if I chose to try the EJ07 then I could possible keep both it and the A8000, but don’t think I’d keep both if I bought the MEST to try).

Welcome your thoughts guys. Maybe @IEMusic @redrol ?? Those that have tried the MEST do you find that it’s an all rounder and everything sounds great or do you find that it makes some albums unlistenable? If so some examples would be great!

If my main issue is cymbals standing out like a sore thumb on certain recordings is it best I just go for the EJ07 given their slightly rolled off treble?

I listen to all sorts of metal, but favour either grindcore, black & death, but also Doom/stoner.

Example of an album I find glaring with the A8000 is Nile’s ‘In Their Darkened Shrines’ which has great pummelling drums but I find too buried in a sea of cymbals. But, I listened to Morbid Angel’s ‘Covenant’ as prompted by an earlier post here and that was excellent on the A8000.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #398 of 2,099
I don’t find the NA2 as good for metal as the NM2+, as the driver isn’t as fast and detailed, however, it is still a superb single-DD IEM, with a lot of micro detail, while being very enjoyable and not potentially offensive sounding.

Well, I received 4 days ago NF Audio NA2 and I've been listening to it since that.

I've not had lots of other good, expensive earphones to compare it with, so my experience is limited and possible useless for more experienced audiophiles.

I like NF Audio NA2 very much. To my ears, the sound is even, comfortable, enjoyable and very involving. The bass is not very deep (it's like listening to floor speakers, but without a subwoofer), but it's neither too "dry/fast", nor too "wet/slow". The mids are a bit recessed and initially there might be a feeling that there could have been a bit of better resolution, but, one the other hand, it creates the illusion of a deeper stage and there is no sibilance. The sound is not aggressive, it's not "in your face", the vocalists are at a certain distance from your ears. The highs are nice and clean, they are not annoying.

I am very happy I bought this model. It just immerses me into music. Maybe until I hear a better model.

Nov 10, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #399 of 2,099
Just found the thread and I’ve done a bit of reading to catch up. It’s all been very interesting.

Over 80% of my music listening is to metal and I, like most here, appreciate IEMs that have fast transients and good separation for metal music.

I currently use my Final A8000 and it’s (sole) beryllium driver is fast and detailed, with excellent bass texture and speed. Sounds like it’s ideal pairing for metal, and it can be. But, whilst having a relatively balanced sound profile, it is also quite damn bright and potentially over revealing in the treble. This means that it can be 50:50 whether any particular metal album I’m in the mood for sounds good or punishingly annoying. So yeah, it can be fatiguing, mainly with cymbals being overpowering and ‘in the way’ on some recordings. Sometimes when cymbals don’t sound piercing as such I hear a ‘smeared’ distraction in that area because of the slight brighter tuned response. I also find them best to use a darker source (Sony ZX2) which does help bring the treble to comfortable levels but the trade off there is the DAP also makes the sound a bit too congested at times.

So, I’m wondering whether the MEST or EJ07 might serve me better. I think I plan on buying one or the other of those and making the comparison to the A8000 and selling the loser! If that means I chose the cheaper one then so be it! (Of course, if I chose to try the EJ07 then I could possible keep both it and the A8000, but don’t think I’d keep both if I bought the MEST to try).

Welcome your thoughts guys. Maybe @IEMusic @redrol ?? Those that have tried the MEST do you find that it’s an all rounder and everything sounds great or do you find that it makes some albums unlistenable? If so some examples would be great!

If my main issue is cymbals standing out like a sore thumb on certain recordings is it best I just go for the EJ07 given their slightly rolled off treble?

I listen to all sorts of metal, but favour either grindcore, black & death, but also Doom/stoner.

Example of an album I find glaring with the A8000 is Nile’s ‘In Their Darkened Shrines’ which has great pummelling drums but I find too buried in a sea of cymbals. But, I listened to Morbid Angel’s ‘Covenant’ as prompted by an earlier post here and that was excellent on the A8000.
Since Im a metal head and I play guitar at 100+db. Ej07 wins. Thanks for tuning in.

[edit} mest is a more polished type of sound while being exciting. Having said that EJ07 peaks its frequencies right in the middle of metal guitar. Enough said.

It's hard for me to know what people that love heavy metal and more extreme versions want to hear. I know what I love though. I'll say the MEST is the most TOTL set that also can replay metal excellently.

I know for sure that monitoring my Marshall / Mesa rig, the EJ07 wins by a landslide. When I want to hear myself playing my guitar in a mix...EJ07. Does this mean other metal heads will enjoy it as much? I have a hard time knowing.. but volume and Metal go hand and hand and the EJ is the IEM i can turn up to brain melting volumes and still get audiophile sound as well as the brutals.
Audiophile and Metal are not super compatible.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #400 of 2,099
I'll say it again. S8F is too much high mids for metal. It isn't bad but it isn't even close to my pick. Also a bit V shaped which leads to guitars being lower than mixed. Snares will sound too loud on the S8F for sure.

Nov 11, 2020 at 3:33 AM Post #401 of 2,099
Since I have won a 30% discount code on Linsoul games have changed. Now I can choose a between EJ07 and S8Z/S8F.

Nov 11, 2020 at 6:04 AM Post #403 of 2,099
LZ A7 206 €

NM2 + 107 €

Qual è il miglior affare ??

Ascolto anche molto metal estremo
I have NM2+ it's good for metal for the price. I feel LZ A7 will be even better being a multi driver and tuning options makes it more versatile. I ordered A7, it shud be here tomorrow.

Nov 11, 2020 at 6:07 AM Post #404 of 2,099
Since I have won a 30% discount code on Linsoul games have changed. Now I can choose a between EJ07 and S8Z/S8F.
I've read that certain people find 8Z slightly too bright so not sure if it's the best choice for metal, I'd look at 8P or 8F. If you like a good kick S8F is the way to go. EJ07 is more mid forward? redrol can maybe help you about the EJ

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back