IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Nov 1, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #331 of 2,106
Okay, after listening to the ER2XR with challenging songs, I think it’s probably even better for metal than the ER3XR. It has more treble, that sounds more crisp. The speed seems about the same, even though it’s a DD vs a BA. Transient response is also equally good, as are dynamics. The timbral accuracy is more natural. The ER3 has slightly more detail and texture. For $80, the ER2 is an amazing deal. I got mine last December for $125, and I think it was discounted at the time.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #332 of 2,106
I believe he was replying to my comment regarding the Voyager 14, which is approaching the price of the MEST.

For around $125-$150, the Etymotic ER3 (I have XR) is remarkably adept at handling metal. It is a single BA, but is very fast and responsive, with good transient attack and definition. It is not bright at all, so it’s good if you’re sensitive to too much treble with metal genres. If you want a lot of treble, It’s not great. Main downsides are deep insertion, and small, in-your-head soundstage.

The Etymotic ER2XR has more treble response. I need to check and see how it performs with death metal, but $80 for the Eymotic ER2XR is a really amazing price right now on Amazon!
https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-Extended-Respone-Earphones/dp/B07NSL5XS5

Yes I meant that... I misunderstood.

Btw I-m waiting for the review of Fearless Tequila, and then I will decide.

Nov 1, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #333 of 2,106
Okay, after listening to the ER2XR with challenging songs, I think it’s probably even better for metal than the ER3XR. It has more treble, that sounds more crisp. The speed seems about the same, even though it’s a DD vs a BA. Transient response is also equally good, as are dynamics. The timbral accuracy is more natural. The ER3 may have slightly more detail, but it’s really a minuscule difference. For $80, the ER2 is an amazing deal. I got mine last December for $125, and I think it was discounted at the time.

And what abut ER4XR?

Nov 1, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #334 of 2,106
And what abut ER4XR?
I don’t have that one, but it’s a lot more expensive, and now it has to compete with the LZ A7 and the Blessing 2.

Nov 1, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #335 of 2,106
At the same price of ER2XR I have got the KZ AS10 that I use often when I don't want to use IEMs that I'm worried to break or damage, for example while training or before sleeping.

Nov 2, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #336 of 2,106
I'm searching for the next upgrade from Moondrop Starfields and the Blon bl 03. Budget would be around 300 dollars!
In reality, I really like the sound of both, but I really wanted a little bit more definition, specially in the mids and the highs. Although, a frankenstein of those two sounds would be amazing!
The sound I'm seaching for: Starfield's Harman curve, the bass of the blon bl 03, the subbass "punch" of the Starfields, the mids of the Starfield, specially the mid to low, which are thicker, giving guitars and distortions an awesome effect and the highs of the blon bl03 (sparkly in a very nice measure!). My only gripe with those two is that sometimes there's a veil in front of the music!
One thing also to note: John Bonham never sound better than in the Vsonic GR07...it's quite unfortunate that mids and highs were so...thin. And the durability of those just sucked. So, the bass would be awesome if it had that kind of punch. I just can't pinpoint why John Bonham's drums sounded so good.
I was thinking of going after the FH3, or maybe the Blessing 2. Suggestions??

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2020 at 6:51 AM Post #337 of 2,106
I'm searching for the next upgrade from Moondrop Starfields and the Blon bl 03. Budget would be around 300 dollars!
In reality, I really like the sound of both, but I really wanted a little bit more definition, specially in the mids and the highs. Although, a frankenstein of those two sounds would be amazing!
The sound I'm seaching for: Starfield's Harman curve, the bass of the blon bl 03, the subbass "punch" of the Starfields, the mids of the Starfield, specially the mid to low, which are thicker, giving guitars and distortions an awesome effect and the highs of the blon bl03 (sparkly in a very nice measure!). My only gripe with those two is that sometimes there's a veil in front of the music!
One thing also to note: John Bonham never sound better than in the Vsonic GR07...it's quite unfortunate that mids and highs were so...thin. And the durability of those just sucked. So, the bass would be awesome if it had that kind of punch. I just can't pinpoint why John Bonham's drums sounded so good.
I was thinking of going after the FH3, or maybe the Blessing 2. Suggestions??
LZ A7 all the way! Seems like it has great technicalities, and you can customize the sound. Blessing 2 has very good quality, but low quantity of bass. The bass will almost certainly be disappointing compared to the BL03 and Starfield. LZ A7 will probably have similar levels of bass to the Starfield, but I’d check with owners on their thread. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lz-a7-iems-impressions-and-reviews-thread.938134/post-15950562

Nov 2, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #338 of 2,106
Decently but not to my taste. MEST bests it.

Have you ever tried the Mini Mest? I've read good reviews about them and Headfonia put them in their best gear list.

Nov 2, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #339 of 2,106
I've got an ER4XR and don't really think it's that great for metal music. I find that it sounded a little thin for my tastes. However, they are AMAZING for Jazz/Acoustic music and I will never sell them.
I also have an S8F but I didn't find it to be a top-tier experience for metal either. I'm actually still looking for my perfect IEM

Has anyone tried the Clairvoyance? I'm also thinking of trying a blessing 2 or an EX1k for my metal purposes.

Nov 2, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #340 of 2,106
Periodic be are great for metal too. I use them regularly

Nov 2, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #341 of 2,106
Okay, after listening to the ER2XR with challenging songs, I think it’s probably even better for metal than the ER3XR. It has more treble, that sounds more crisp. The speed seems about the same, even though it’s a DD vs a BA. Transient response is also equally good, as are dynamics. The timbral accuracy is more natural. The ER3 has slightly more detail and texture. For $80, the ER2 is an amazing deal. I got mine last December for $125, and I think it was discounted at the time.
I've been always curious about the ety sound, ordered a pair of 2xr just few days back, found a deal for $79 brand new. I hope they don't sound too boring for metal, I know 2xr is the suited more for the commercial listener but sceptical since many reviews state they are flat not much stage, it's gonna be an experience for sure, also the fit is another concern. I guess I'll find out soon. Exited about the great timbral accuracy people rave about.
Being a treble head, I hope bass is not too boomy and hopefully does not bleed much..I am keeping my expectations low so not to be disappointed

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #343 of 2,106
Well, now I am back to "endgame" and wondering about Solaris vs U12t vs Andromeda.

Eh?
Good for you buddy, why not the highly praised MEST?

Nov 4, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #345 of 2,106
LZ A7 all the way! Seems like it has great technicalities, and you can customize the sound. Blessing 2 has very good quality, but low quantity of bass. The bass will almost certainly be disappointing compared to the BL03 and Starfield. LZ A7 will probably have similar levels of bass to the Starfield, but I’d check with owners on their thread. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lz-a7-iems-impressions-and-reviews-thread.938134/post-15950562
IEMusic! I just saw your signature and there's an iem that I'm quite curious about: the FH3! Can you compare it with the FH3?

And have you ever tried the tri I3? In my research through the internet people praised this one a lot too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back