IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Oct 26, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #271 of 2,102
Oh I forgot you down have the A7, your impressions with meat are most welcome. MEST is intresting from whatever i heard and my chosen sound is neutral - bright sound with fast and clean bass. I think it's a good iem to keep an eye out
I prefer the EJ07 for metal somewhat for a few reasons. After playing guitars/amps pretty loud for years, my rig tends to be tuned towards warm and thick rather than bright. The EJ07 gives me all the mid definition I require while being not too much in the treble region. With the MEST, you get more definition, more clarity and slightly less mids. Since guitar IS a midrange instrument, the EJ helps keep my tone front and center while the MEST allows the higher end to be more present.
I find the bass a bit too much for my ears at times, esp on certain tracks kick drums tone doesn't sound natural comparing with a DD. I could live with a little less bass infact I prefer a good transparent kick over a boosted weighty kick
@Vruksha, I had a chance to briefly listen to a lot of the bands/albums that you mentioned. Wow! The MEST was designed for metal, especially death metal. It can handle the speed w/o problems, and when things get really complex, it reproduces it with ease. You’re able to discern each instrument, each note, each drum hit and cymbal strike, with very immersive imaging. The MEST excels in technicalities, with very sharp transients, and no smearing, amazing detail retrieval, and incredible resolution. If these impressions sound very enthusiastic, it is b/c they are. Listening to those bands, I’ve been observing several capabilities of the MEST that I hadn‘t noticed before. The bass is perfect, with tremendous speed, but with the more natural sound of a DD. It is more sub bass biased, so there is absolutely no bloat or interference with the midrange. I think the MEST is balanced enough for all genres of music, but I think it is even better suited to metal genres than a lot of the music I’ve been listening to on it. For instance, with symphonic music, the MEST’s technicalities can easily portray the orchestral works in a mesmerizing manner; however, the timbral accuracy, while very good, is still not as natural as a superb single DD IEM, such as the NM2+. The timbral characteristics of the MEST seem better suited for metal and rock genres. Of note, with the recordings previously mentioned, the only sounds that I found piercing and bothersome at times were the ride bell and the hi-hat.

I agree with the comments that @redrol made regarding the MEST. It has a mostly neutral type tuning, with a very detailed sound, and amazing treble (the ideal IEM for treble heads). The midrange on the MEST is not recessed, but if you prefer a fuller, more forward sounding midrange, or a thicker sound, perhaps for heavy metal, then the MEST might not be ideal for you.

Oct 26, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #272 of 2,102
EJ
EJ has more bass than S8F🤪

I am a big fan of the sound from Morris sound

Not more, better. It's not a bass cannon, just a nice amount imo. Perfect? The MEST is maybe perfecter. Has a bit more mid-bass but moreover I swear the bass drivers are better than the EJ by some amount.

Morrisound IS the sound of metal far as im concerned.

Oh also the O2, though I dearly love it, its so.. unforgiving for metal that say the track I listed on the page before this 'Grind Fidelity' will pretty much destroy my ears at loud volumes. Like I cannot take it.

I completely forgot to mention volume scaling. EJ is the best. I can BLAST my ears to death and not get brain or ear fatigue. Is that Metal? I think so! The MEST arrives somewhere below brain melting volumes, but not medium. Nicely loud?! Yeah.

@IEMusic
I fully agree with everything you wrote. 100%! \m/

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #273 of 2,102
Though T800 is a good iem, I don't thing they good for fast music like death. I've heard the bass is slow so more weighted..might be good for doom but not for anything extremely fast. At that budget Blessing 2/Tanchjim Oxygen are considered better iem that can handle extreme metal from what I've heard

In the $300 budget which IEMs are the best? My choices could be:
Dunu DK-2001
Blessing 2
Tanchjim Oxygen (I already have iBasso IT01S that is a single DD iem)

Are there something else in this price range? (250/350 $)

Thanks

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #274 of 2,102
I completely forgot to mention volume scaling. EJ is the best. I can BLAST my ears to death and not get brain or ear fatigue. Is that Metal? I think so! The MEST arrives somewhere below brain melting volumes, but not medium. Nicely loud?! Yeah.
Oh, this is a very important point that should be emphasized. Metal is conducive to playing loudly, in fact, I think it’s actually a facet of the music itself. Because of this, one needs to carefully choose an IEM tuned in such a way, that when played loudly, it doesn’t become painful (Fletcher-Munson curves). That‘s certainly one of the strengths of the tuning of an IEM like the EJ07. While some people have criticized it for having a rolled off treble, or perhaps it didn’t ”wow” them when they listened to it briefly, it is an IEM that can be played loudly, and sounds excellent in that capacity. Probably most IEMs that sound very impressive right from the start, get fatiguing quickly, and exponentially quickly as the volume is turned up.

The UIEM MEST can be played loud, but the treble can sound piercing at louder volumes. If you have the ability to use EQ, taming the 6KHz peak goes a long way to smoothening out the tuning for loud volumes. As an aside, the CIEM version of the MEST has a very smooth treble curve, without the peaks that the UIEM has (yet it is reportedly more extended sounding), so it probably would be even that much better for listening to metal.

Oct 27, 2020 at 7:02 AM Post #276 of 2,102
this thread is a paradise for me, 😄

much love from Indonesia,

Oct 27, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #277 of 2,102
Oct 27, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #278 of 2,102
Oct 27, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #280 of 2,102
I wonder how the new Fir Audio 5x5 (VxV) fares with metal genres? It’s a hybrid, but perhaps with a very fast DD for bass.

Oct 28, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #281 of 2,102
Anybody know how u12t do with metal?

Oct 28, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #282 of 2,102
Which kind of IEMs are better for metal?

Single DD
Full BA
Hybrid (DD+BA)

I mean, is there a very better one or it depends on how they performs no matter if full BA or single DD or whatever?

Oct 28, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #283 of 2,102

Single DD
Full BA
Hybrid (DD+BA)

I mean, is there a very better one or it depends on how they performs no matter if full BA or single DD or whatever?

My guess is those Earbridge’s magnetostatic driver (shouer tape) with right EQ would be great for metal.

Oct 28, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #284 of 2,102
My guess is those Earbridge’s magnetostatic driver (shouer tape) with right EQ would be great for metal.

I’ve read that Shouer Tape have many quality problems, they aren’t reliable.

Oct 28, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #285 of 2,102

Single DD
Full BA
Hybrid (DD+BA)

IMO, it depends on the specific IEM itself. Any of those designs/technologies can be great (or terrible) for metal. My generic response though, would be all-BA, since it is most often associated with “speed”.

I’ve read that Shouer Tape have many quality problems, they aren’t reliable.
True, but it is remarkably adept at handling metal genres. A lot of people are anxiously awaiting the release of the Tape Pro soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back