ISN H40
QDC Anole VX
EE LX
Fir M5
VE VE8
Pola 39
UM MEST
SW 3

I know a lot of these are TOTL but thats what its come to for me. Mid range just wasnt cutting it so we upped the ante. And no i dont own them all. Most were demo'd. Just own the Anole, for now. Looking for something with better mid-range while everything else stays well extended in both directions.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #182 of 2,098
ISN H40
QDC Anole VX
EE LX
Fir M5
VE VE8
Pola 39
UM MEST
SW 3

I know a lot of these are TOTL but thats what its come to for me. Mid range just wasnt cutting it so we upped the ante. And no i dont own them all. Most were demo'd. Just own the Anole, for now. Looking for something with better mid-range while everything else stays well extended in both directions.
Everything except the H40 looks outta my reach, I've heard these are bass canyon's so stayed away. Is the bass attack/decay speed fast enough for genres like technical death metal/brutal death metal? Do they do any justice to metal?

Oct 17, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #183 of 2,098
Everything except the H40 looks outta my reach, I've heard these are bass canyon's so stayed away. Is the bass attack/decay speed fast enough for genres like technical death metal/brutal death metal? Do they do any justice to metal?

The bass is midbass focused. I would say its a little loose and judging by your wording you probably should stay away. I might be easy to please but all the heavy stuff i listened to sounded ok. I just needed more treble ;(

Oct 17, 2020 at 11:54 PM Post #184 of 2,098
The bass is midbass focused. I would say its a little loose and judging by your wording you probably should stay away. I might be easy to please but all the heavy stuff i listened to sounded ok. I just needed more treble ;(
I like tight controlled bass for them blast bests so H40 won't cut it. Any good stuff around $500 that you think would be good for some heavy stuff?

Oct 18, 2020 at 2:16 AM Post #185 of 2,098
Oct 18, 2020 at 6:17 AM Post #186 of 2,098
I haven't heard any other NF Audio iems, this is my first listen to anything from them and from what I understand the NM2+ is their top of the line at the moment. It's a surprise to me that they are not hyped much.

Thanks. But I ordered NA2. I did not dare to go for NM2+.

Oct 18, 2020 at 6:20 AM Post #187 of 2,098
Hey bro, what kinda bands do you listen to? (Just to get an idea)

Lots of prog metal, not much thrash/death/black.

I listen to so much random stuff and I just really like the MEST tuning compared to all my other IEM's, even my 64 Tia Fourte's.

Oct 18, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #190 of 2,098
What would you guys suggest from chi fi? or budget stuff? I'm currently looking at kz stuff(zst x and zsn pro x). Can anyone of y'all tell me how they do with prog rock
TRN BA5 is much better in speed/details/seperation. I've used the old zsn pro, no idea how the x is but on a budget BA5 really shines even for extreme metal which is very demanding

Oct 18, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #191 of 2,098
Lots of prog metal, not much thrash/death/black.

I listen to so much random stuff and I just really like the MEST tuning compared to all my other IEM's, even my 64 Tia Fourte's.
That's huge! I am super curious about the MEST now, what other iem's have tried/owned? can you try out some fast tracks like Cattle Decapitation - Death Atlas, Opeth - Masters apprentice on the MEST please? I just wanna know if they can handle that speed, Thanks

Oct 18, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #192 of 2,098
I like tight controlled bass for them blast bests so H40 won't cut it. Any good stuff around $500 that you think would be good for some heavy stuff?
Ever consider the Fearless S6Rui or the S8F/Pro? You can even get them in CIEM form for a nominal fee if desired.

Sorry, ignore. I missed your previous comments on it.
Have you ever looked into Tansio Mirai IEMs?

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #193 of 2,098
Thanks. But I ordered NA2. I did not dare to go for NM2+.
I don’t find the NA2 as good for metal as the NM2+, as the driver isn’t as fast and detailed, however, it is still a superb single-DD IEM, with a lot of micro detail, while being very enjoyable and not potentially offensive sounding.

Oct 19, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #194 of 2,098
Ever consider the Fearless S6Rui or the S8F/Pro? You can even get them in CIEM form for a nominal fee if desired.

Sorry, ignore. I missed your precious comments on it.
Have you ever looked into Tansio Mirai IEMs?
Heard a lott about them, have you tried any? Always heard all TSMR iems are tuned very neutral balanced. Wondering if they would be energetic/lively like the S8f which ofcourse is V in nature.
These are few iem's under this price bracket that I've always been curious about
TSMR 2
TSMR 3PRO
TSMR 4PRO
TSMR 5

BGVP DM7
BGVP VG-4

@IEMusic Do you have experience with any of the above with heavy music ofcourse

Oct 19, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #195 of 2,098
I know this is a controversial opinion, but I REALLY enjoy my Campfire Audio Polaris 2 for metal. Granted, I don't have a lot of room for comparison on the IEM side of things. They are extremely v-shaped, with more emphasis on the bass end. Depending on the source, they can get a bit shouty if they're at too high of a volume, but overall I find them to be very responsive, and very fun.

I mostly listen to Tech Death and Symphonic Death, but I like to listen to a wide variety of things. They do okay with some treble-heavy avante garde metal (Fisheye by Shining, the Norwegian avant-garde band, had some moments where they approached the edge of tolerability,) but they definitely prefer the lows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back