IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Nov 13, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #1,486 of 2,106
Couldn't agree more and consider, for the most part, we're not listening to live recordings we're listening to small recording room studio performances. This is why, for me, a set with good BAs like the Anole VX which handles the bass frequencies as accurately as my headphones and doesn't overpower them is my preference for metal but of course bassheads are free to disagree and require more "color" for their music for which they'll likely need a DD or two to emphasize the bass.
If you get a chance, Turii may be a single DD you could get behind. It's lighting fast (can deal with the fastest of blast beats and kicks) and has some of the best distortion timbre I have ever heard in an IEM. Big sound stage for a single DD and the layering is on point. You may need an after market cable to get the most out of it though.
It's stealing all the MEST's playtime lately due to its more pleasant midrange and treble, to my ears of course.

Nov 18, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #1,487 of 2,106
For me, the dealbreaker of the Turri is its weak isolation capability. I mean, what is a nearly open IEM good for?

I wonder that so many revealing In-Ears are mentioned in this thread. I think, a good rock and metal In-Ear has to be forgiving. There are sooooo many bad produced albums/songs so that an overly detailed IEM wouldn't be an ideal choice.

Nov 18, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #1,488 of 2,106
For me, the dealbreaker of the Turri is its weak isolation capability. I mean, what is a nearly open IEM good for?

I wonder that so many revealing In-Ears are mentioned in this thread. I think, a good rock and metal In-Ear has to be forgiving. There are sooooo many bad produced albums/songs so that an overly detailed IEM wouldn't be an ideal choice.
Audiophile "Metal people" are often detail obsessives, I've found (not that there's anything wrong with that), so I'm not surprised by that focus. That said, I agree with you here - tons of really bad recodings out there that are going to be pretty much unlistenable on many of the IEMs suggested here.

Nov 18, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #1,489 of 2,106
Same as an open back headphone is good for, I guess. Air, stage, and space.

I am not really sensitive to isolation short comings unless it's really bad. Tuning, tone, and overall presentation spirit are my key identifyers. Does it present the recording in the manner most likely as intended, etc? This includes stuff just being thin and/or badly rendered/mastered like early European black metal or projects recorded on 4-track cassette, etc.
I listen too loudly to care honestly. I can't hear anyone or anything when I am in the zone. It seems to isolate no worse than some other single DD IEM's with venting I've heard.

Turii could be finicky for some ears due to the shape, weight, and/or the tips you need to use
Of course, ymmv.

Nov 18, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #1,490 of 2,106
I understand that point of view. Bass heavy IEMs have the benefit of weight and heft, while the drawback can be lack of control, speed and bleeding into the mids. I like BA IEMs for metal too, e.g. Traillii and U18T, but in the end, I value heft over speed. Heavy metal is supposed to sound ... you know ... heavy :), and only a DD can do that IMO. The EVO is probably the best implementation of a heavy but clean low end, combined with good technicalities. But again, EQ is needed to keep the upper mids in check. I hope you get to hear them soon, I'm curious if you would agree with this assessment or not. It's quite possible that you would still find the bass overwhelming. So best to audition before buying, I would say.
From what I've heard is that the upper mids of the Evo are rolled off early so that they are not fatiguing

Is equalization really required? I am sensitive to upper mids fatigue

If EQ is really needed that would be a no go because of bit perfect playback

Nov 18, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #1,491 of 2,106
Same as an open back headphone is good for, I guess. Air, stage, and space.

I am not really sensitive to isolation short comings unless it's really bad. Tuning, tone, and overall presentation spirit are my key identifyers. Does it present the recording in the manner most likely as intended, etc? This includes stuff just being thin and/or badly rendered/mastered like early European black metal or projects recorded on 4-track cassette, etc.
I listen too loudly to care honestly. I can't hear anyone or anything when I am in the zone. It seems to isolate no worse than some other single DD IEM's with venting I've heard.

Turii could be finicky for some ears due to the shape, weight, and/or the tips you need to use
Of course, ymmv.

From my point of view, In-Ears compete foremost with closed back headphones and as far as I know, there are In-Ears with vents which isolate quite adequate. The main advantages of an IEM is the handy mobile usage, the comfort and the isolation. I find the Turri interesting, but without good isolation it's unfortunately not for me.

Nov 18, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #1,492 of 2,106
Audiophile "Metal people" are often detail obsessives, I've found (not that there's anything wrong with that), so I'm not surprised by that focus. That said, I agree with you here - tons of really bad recodings out there that are going to be pretty much unlistenable on many of the IEMs suggested here.
When I was looking for a compact speaker, I was testing various studio monitors and revealing hifi speakers. With rock or metal they always sounded somewhat harsh or muddy and slow. In the end, I bought something with a forgiving sound signature.

Nov 18, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #1,494 of 2,106
From what I've heard is that the upper mids of the Evo are rolled off early so that they are not fatiguing

Is equalization really required? I am sensitive to upper mids fatigue

If EQ is really needed that would be a no go because of bit perfect playback
Upper mids are elevated, treble is more subdued. I have a different view on EQ but if you don't want to EQ and you are sensitive to upper mids, the EVO are not for you.

Nov 19, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #1,496 of 2,106
That's a shame. Then I need to look further

So you would say it causes fatigue ?
Yup, esp. with energetic music like rock and metal. So not all the time and not every genre. But when it does sound too forward, I activate a preset EQ profile in UAPP. One click, issue solved.

Nov 19, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #1,497 of 2,106
Yup, esp. with energetic music like rock and metal. So not all the time and not every genre. But when it does sound too forward, I activate a preset EQ profile in UAPP. One click, issue solved.
I mean I would be willing to equalize but as far as I know then bit perfect playback is not possible anymore. If you use tidal you can't get mqa anymore or am I wrong here ?

Nov 19, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #1,498 of 2,106
Btw can you listen to the track "****ed up World" by The Pretty Reckless without getting pain? Even with my H40 it's sometimes getting too intense / peaky

Edit: damn head-fi censored the song title lol

It's "*** e d up World"

Not again

Nov 19, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #1,499 of 2,106
I mean I would be willing to equalize but as far as I know then bit perfect playback is not possible anymore. If you use tidal you can't get mqa anymore or am I wrong here ?
If you use Tidal, you can't EQ. But you can play MQA in bit perfect. You just can't mess with it, and apps like UAPP turn the EQ features off by specification by Tidal.
To offer Tidal you have to agree to their constraints.

If you side load an EQ on top of the MQA stream you are basically destroying the use case for MQA anyway. Sounds like if you care at all about bit perfect, that is something you probably don't want to do?

Nov 19, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #1,500 of 2,106
If you use Tidal, you can't EQ. But you can play MQA in bit perfect. You just can't mess with it, and apps like UAPP turn the EQ features off by specification by Tidal.
To offer Tidal you have to agree to their constraints.

If you side load an EQ on top of the MQA stream you are basically destroying the use case for MQA anyway. Sounds like if you care at all about bit perfect, that is something you probably don't want to do?
The thing is with my current IEMs the ISN H40 i don't have to eq at all because they play everything sibilance free and its a very easy to the ears listening experience

That's why I never really cared about EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back