IEM for EDM Only to be used while riding a motorcycle (durable/isolation)
Jan 26, 2013 at 2:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

YeNotGuilty

New Head-Fier
So my NE-7m's finally bit the bullet after a good several years of use. I'm now in the market for some new IEMs (It's seriously impossible for me to do rides longer than 15min without music!)

For anyone who doesn't know, an unbaffled streetbike exhaust is pretty loud, and with wind noise added on top of that, hearing can be damaged fairly easy while riding a bike. I'd much rather be listening to some awesome music damaging my hearing instead, lol. 

There are several categories I must take into account when choosing the proper IEM:

1: It needs to have a decent level of isolation of some sort. The wind noise and exhaust noise while riding the motorcycle are very loud, and it's kind of lame listening to your music being muffled by those noises.

2: They can't really protrude a whole bunch. Full face racing helmets are very tight-fitting on the head, I need the IEM's to be relatively small (my ne-7m's were a good size for reference)

3: They need to be durable. The wind will make the cables bounce around, and they will not be treated super softly if you catch my drift.

4: All I listen to is EDM. Mainly Electro House and Trance.

If anyone could point me in the direction of a proper IEM that fits these categories fairly well, I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Budget-wise.... honestly I can spend up to $300 as long as they won't break easily.

Jan 26, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #2 of 22
Westone 3, Westone Um3x. Both have great isolation. The um3x is more mid-centric. Um3x also has a replaceable cable option, um3x-rc. Sennheiser ie80 if you weren't riding a lot. If you get senns, make sure it's from an authorized dealer.

Jan 26, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #4 of 22
I ride all the time, and these will literally be used just for listening to music while riding, and nothing else!

EDIT: Would you say a replaceable cable is very beneficial to my intended use?

Jan 26, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #5 of 22
Also great isolation from westones. The westone 3 is great with house,edm type music from what I've heard. I have the um3x and ie80. Both have different sounds, i prefer the ie80 with any house beats.

Jan 26, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #6 of 22
If you have the option, a replaceable cable is always a good idea. However, the westone 3 would fit your music pref better. I use the um3x-rc for working out. Since it has a bendable ear tubing that holds the iem in place. Also offers awesome isolation. I use it for more vocal type music, strings, and some house here and there.

Jan 26, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #7 of 22
How does the SM3 V2 compare in the durability/noise cancellation categories?

Jan 26, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #8 of 22
As usual, I highly recommend the W3 for EDM, and specifically for your requirements. It's a little big, but not TF10 big. It has great isolation, maybe only beaten by Etymotic (little bass) and Shure (more mids than anything else). They don't really protrude much. I'm including a pic, so you can judge for yourself. Selling my pair to fund my never ending curiosity.

Jan 26, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #9 of 22
Not sure, but that can also be a good option as well. I would call it noise canceling, some iems offer better isolation which includes the ability to cancel external noise better and maintain all the sound you need.

Jan 26, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #11 of 22
I sort of realized I was using the wrong term. You are right. What I'm looking for is good isolation. And yeah it's definitely between the W3's or SM3 V2 at this point. Just waiting for a couple more opinions for me to formulate my decision.

Sort of a side-note: Is it trustworthy to buy used off amazon?

Jan 26, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #12 of 22
It's not a bad choice. I picked up a pair of used iems last week for a great price. However, keep a few things in mind. Know which sellers offer a return policy, in case you have a need to return them. Also if you like them, know their warranty policy. If you are absolutely sure about the iem, buy new and authorized from a reputable site.

Jan 26, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:
It's not a bad choice. I picked up a pair of used iems last week for a great price. However, keep a few things in mind. Know which sellers offer a return policy, in case you have a need to return them. Also if you like them, know their warranty policy. If you are absolutely sure about the iem, buy new and authorized from a reputable site.

Yeah that is a good strategy of attack there. I'd probably trust someone from the classifieds section here over a random on amazon.

Jan 26, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #15 of 22
I have a pair of Westone 3 here on loan, they do sit very flush to the ear, however they can be fussy how well they isolate depending on your canal and ear shape. How do they sound? they sound ok, not bad at all, little warm for my tastes and possibly to much mid bass. However, I don't feel they're worth their asking price, possibly around the $200 mark would suit them IMO. It's a shame you need such high isolation because GR07 MK2 would be perfect in the fitting area, they're an all time classic here for around $170. Problem is they don't have the best isolation. Check them out anyway, we have a huge thread of people praising them day in day out. Another decent choice for around $100 - $150 would be Yamaha EPH-100, or Klipsch X10, they have the isolation you want and are rather small.

Goodluck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back