IEM for commute <250usd
Jan 28, 2018 at 9:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

fudgadeliq

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone!

I´m currently going nuts trying to decide what IEM to even consider buying. I would really appreciate any help!
These are my requirements:

- Good noise isolating (commuting to work by bus)
- Clear sound with little bass bump (not superheavy bass)
- Detachable cable
- Budget is 250 usd

I will be using my iPhone as a source, but I have a NuForce DAC/amp if I need more power.

Very thankful for any suggestions!

Jan 28, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #3 of 13
I´m really interested in the Audio Technica ATH-E50. I loved the soundsignature of the ATH-M50x. Any thoughts?
I have not heard them, sorry. I do though recommend for your requirements a MEE Pinnacle P1. You might read about it and see what you think. There are tons of reviews out there, including here on head-fi. I think it is possible it could work for you.

Jan 29, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #4 of 13
I´ve read some review of the Pinnacle P1 but I´m reluctant to spend my money on Meeaudio gear since I´ve tried the M6 Pro. I was really disappointed in them, but I do realize that the Pinnacle is another ball game all together.

Jan 29, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #5 of 13
I love my ue900s for my commute. You can catch them on mass drop sub $250

Jan 31, 2018 at 5:19 AM Post #6 of 13
Thank you for your suggestion Grimbles! But I believe the UE900 are a bit too expensive for me. Checked Massdrop but I didn´t really understand how things work over there.

Any other suggestions? My main options now are:

ATH-E50
Westone UM Pro 10
Westone AM Pro 10

What do guys think?

Feb 11, 2018 at 6:22 AM Post #8 of 13
I've been using the ATH E50 for a few months now and I'm having mixed feelings about it, so worth sharing. First and foremost, this is NOT about the sound. I'm coming from AT C10 (lovely model) and I'm also using a ATH M50. So, yes, I'm a bit biased towards AT for a simple reason: I like to hear what's been recorded by the sound engineer. When Al Schmitt records Dianna Krall, I tend to believe he knows what he's doing better than earphones manufacturers. This being said, the E50 have a great sound: analytical but not too much. You can hear the music in a very defined and smooth manner without being bothered by too many details or over bass. Taking into account that they're used in a mobility environment, they're really a superb bang for the buck. What really bothers me is the way they're built. They're strongly built, that's for sure, especially compared to the C10, but man, they're also a bit clumsy and stiff. They will NEVER fall off your ear; I'm sure you can ride a mountain bike, ski downhill, skydive, bungejump, without those falling off your ear. Even if the buds itself manages to take off, the stiff part of the cable will keep the whole thing stuck to your ear. The downside of this is that you can hardly forget the'yre in your ear. Well, I guess that's better and the price to pay for longevity, but they're not featherweight and discrete as the C10 were. So, overall, they're not so pleasant to wear, but there are some replacement cables that you can find and that could prove to remove that issue.

Soundwise, they're definitely great for the price. But that's a personal opinion (although i've tried many other products).

PS: I'm also having earbuds problems and it's difficult to find plugs that fit well. One of my ear conduit is smaller than the other one, so I have to use 2 sizes.

Feb 11, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #9 of 13
I've been using the ATH E50 for a few months now and I'm having mixed feelings about it, so worth sharing. First and foremost, this is NOT about the sound. I'm coming from AT C10 (lovely model) and I'm also using a ATH M50. So, yes, I'm a bit biased towards AT for a simple reason: I like to hear what's been recorded by the sound engineer. When Al Schmitt records Dianna Krall, I tend to believe he knows what he's doing better than earphones manufacturers. This being said, the E50 have a great sound: analytical but not too much. You can hear the music in a very defined and smooth manner without being bothered by too many details or over bass. Taking into account that they're used in a mobility environment, they're really a superb bang for the buck. What really bothers me is the way they're built. They're strongly built, that's for sure, especially compared to the C10, but man, they're also a bit clumsy and stiff. They will NEVER fall off your ear; I'm sure you can ride a mountain bike, ski downhill, skydive, bungejump, without those falling off your ear. Even if the buds itself manages to take off, the stiff part of the cable will keep the whole thing stuck to your ear. The downside of this is that you can hardly forget the'yre in your ear. Well, I guess that's better and the price to pay for longevity, but they're not featherweight and discrete as the C10 were. So, overall, they're not so pleasant to wear, but there are some replacement cables that you can find and that could prove to remove that issue.

Soundwise, they're definitely great for the price. But that's a personal opinion (although i've tried many other products).

PS: I'm also having earbuds problems and it's difficult to find plugs that fit well. One of my ear conduit is smaller than the other one, so I have to use 2 sizes.

Thanks for your reply Popone!

I´m actually ledning towards the iBasso IT01 or Magaosi K3 HD. The ATH-E50 is still in the running but I´m unsure. I need something comfortable (I like to sleep on the bus) anda IEM that is nice to listen to longer periods of time. Do you have any axperience with the mentioned IEMs?

Feb 11, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #10 of 13
I almost bought the Westone UM Pro 10. I didn't get it because I liked the CA Orion better. This was a few years ago, but from memory, it had a nice neutral sound signature. Bass wasn't particularly striking but it was controlled. It was very comfortable... more so than the CA, Shures and ATHs that I auditioned at the same time. This was the 1st version... I've not tried the current version.

Feb 12, 2018 at 2:46 AM Post #11 of 13
Thanks for your reply Popone!

I´m actually ledning towards the iBasso IT01 or Magaosi K3 HD. The ATH-E50 is still in the running but I´m unsure. I need something comfortable (I like to sleep on the bus) anda IEM that is nice to listen to longer periods of time. Do you have any axperience with the mentioned IEMs?

Hi

I don't have any experience with the above. However, In Hi-FI gear, I tend to respect the know how of the manufacturers. Audio Technica guys have been in the business of doing a few things only (microphones, earphones, ...), but they've had many years of experience so their products are mature and well built. I also tend to lean towards companies that do professional stuff. That's the case for AT, but also many others.

But in the end, it's your call and you'll use them, not me :)

Feb 12, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #13 of 13
Hi

I don't have any experience with the above. However, In Hi-FI gear, I tend to respect the know how of the manufacturers. Audio Technica guys have been in the business of doing a few things only (microphones, earphones, ...), but they've had many years of experience so their products are mature and well built. I also tend to lean towards companies that do professional stuff. That's the case for AT, but also many others.

But in the end, it's your call and you'll use them, not me :)

Seems totally reasonable to go with the proven manufacturers! Still: by reading reviews here on head-fi and other places I´m intrigued by all these manufacturors that seem to be putting out great Products at a good price. Choices - not my strong suit. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back