IEM for classical music fanatic
Feb 7, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #16 of 48
hope i'm not too late to post this..

Your tastes sound exactly like mine, but I love my Bach recordings. Anyway, I'd recommend the Etys, particularly the ER4p/s, if you can get them off amazon or someone. If not, UM1, UM2 or UM3x. I personally prefer a clean neutral sound. Violins should sound like violins. Would be extremely useful if you already have recordings of an artiste whom you've heard live (much easier for singers, I don't know how one can distinguish a violin make from a recording XD). I have a few recordings of singers whom I have heard live and I try to match the same sound with my iems. Accuracy over enjoyment for me....

HOWEVER, I have gotten myself a pair of JH16s so I'm probably not giving the best advice now.

Someone I met in Jaben, Melbourne who also listens to primarily classical music from the classical period lent me his 'personal listening' pair of earphones. They happened to have the ideal EQ for classical (period) music. Spacious, clean, detailed. They turned out to be UE100, the cheapest pair of earphones from UE. Coles was having a clearance sale and they were selling UE100s at $8 a pair. He bought them all and I got myself a set from him. WIN.

Let me know how it goes! Cheers.

Feb 7, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #17 of 48
How do the TF10's do with classical for you?  What do you primarily use them for?  Same questions for the JH16... 
Edit:  Which UE100 the metro.fi 100 or the new UE100's?

Quote:
hope i'm not too late to post this..

Your tastes sound exactly like mine, but I love my Bach recordings. Anyway, I'd recommend the Etys, particularly the ER4p/s, if you can get them off amazon or someone. If not, UM1, UM2 or UM3x. I personally prefer a clean neutral sound. Violins should sound like violins. Would be extremely useful if you already have recordings of an artiste whom you've heard live (much easier for singers, I don't know how one can distinguish a violin make from a recording XD). I have a few recordings of singers whom I have heard live and I try to match the same sound with my iems. Accuracy over enjoyment for me....

HOWEVER, I have gotten myself a pair of JH16s so I'm probably not giving the best advice now.

Someone I met in Jaben, Melbourne who also listens to primarily classical music from the classical period lent me his 'personal listening' pair of earphones. They happened to have the ideal EQ for classical (period) music. Spacious, clean, detailed. They turned out to be UE100, the cheapest pair of earphones from UE. Coles was having a clearance sale and they were selling UE100s at $8 a pair. He bought them all and I got myself a set from him. WIN.

Let me know how it goes! Cheers.

Feb 11, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #18 of 48
I am still waiting for my JH16 to arrive. I have tried the JH16 demo units in Jaben, Melbourne and they simply blew me away. The TF10s were an upgrade from the SF5s. Also, I bought them at $99 on amazon, so no complains there. Detail level from JH16 is unrivaled IMO but I suppose JH13 might have a better balance across the freq range. The frequency response from the unique melody Mage and miracle seem to be really natural sounding. I asked them for a demo unit but they replied me saying that they didn't send out demos anymore.

I primarily use Tf10s with a silver cable to clean up the bass and reveal more highs. Overall, really good performance but highs could be more sparkly. They work for baroque and classical but the moment you get to late romantic, the orchestration starts to be too much to handle. Hence, the JH16 purchase.

I'm referring to the UE100 ($29.95 from UE site). At $8 from Coles, it's a huge bargain.

Which genre of 'classical' music do you listen to?

Feb 12, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #19 of 48
Thanks for the reply, I listen to mostly orchestral, chamber, and concertos.  Beethoven, Mahler, Mozart, Shostakovich, Wagner.
Some baroque, I have issues with listening to the harpsichord, I don't like the sound.  Lots of classical era as well as Modern, some romantic. 

Quote:
I am still waiting for my JH16 to arrive. I have tried the JH16 demo units in Jaben, Melbourne and they simply blew me away. The TF10s were an upgrade from the SF5s. Also, I bought them at $99 on amazon, so no complains there. Detail level from JH16 is unrivaled IMO but I suppose JH13 might have a better balance across the freq range. The frequency response from the unique melody Mage and miracle seem to be really natural sounding. I asked them for a demo unit but they replied me saying that they didn't send out demos anymore.

I primarily use Tf10s with a silver cable to clean up the bass and reveal more highs. Overall, really good performance but highs could be more sparkly. They work for baroque and classical but the moment you get to late romantic, the orchestration starts to be too much to handle. Hence, the JH16 purchase.

I'm referring to the UE100 ($29.95 from UE site). At $8 from Coles, it's a huge bargain.

Which genre of 'classical' music do you listen to?

Feb 12, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #20 of 48

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, I listen to mostly orchestral, chamber, and concertos.  Beethoven, Mahler, Mozart, Shostakovich, Wagner.
Some baroque, I have issues with listening to the harpsichord, I don't like the sound.  Lots of classical era as well as Modern, some romantic. 

*GASPS* You don't like the harpsichord!?!? Well, if you're lucky enough to hear the harpsichord on some baroque recordings, I reckon they're the nicest sounds to hear. If the separation is good, you can hear the harpsichord tinkling in the corner. Absolutely wonderful. Beethoven and Mozart would work well with the Ety HF5 because it's a single driver and the music is not as complexed. Single BA iems would struggle somewhat to reproduce Mahler and Shosta. When you get to Wagner, I struggle to find proper recordings of his ring cycle. Most of mine are theatre/concert hall recordings; finding the correct EQ to get the singers' formants (2khz - 2.5khz) out is difficult. Too little, they sound like pop singers; too much, it sounds painful to listen to. The Ety HF5 might also sound a bit dry compared to higher end iems, but separation is good. I use Mahler 2 and 8 finale sections to see how much the iems can handle in before they start rolling off or distorting. Most BA iems would give you the separation and detail. I reckon everything else is about different colours and how 'warm' it sounds. I'm a fan of flat sounding iems (though the JH16 isn't) and the HF5 does it for me. Of course, that's assuming you have high quality files and a decent source. :D

The HF5 is basically the ER4p/s without the hand matching of drivers. According to Ety, the ER4p/s is 7% more accurate. $100 more for the 7%? I didn't think so.

Feb 12, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #21 of 48

Quote:
*GASPS* You don't like the harpsichord!?!? Well, if you're lucky enough to hear the harpsichord on some baroque recordings, I reckon they're the nicest sounds to hear. If the separation is good, you can hear the harpsichord tinkling in the corner. Absolutely wonderful. Beethoven and Mozart would work well with the Ety HF5 because it's a single driver and the music is not as complexed. Single BA iems would struggle somewhat to reproduce Mahler and Shosta. When you get to Wagner, I struggle to find proper recordings of his ring cycle. Most of mine are theatre/concert hall recordings; finding the correct EQ to get the singers' formants (2khz - 2.5khz) out is difficult. Too little, they sound like pop singers; too much, it sounds painful to listen to. The Ety HF5 might also sound a bit dry compared to higher end iems, but separation is good. I use Mahler 2 and 8 finale sections to see how much the iems can handle in before they start rolling off or distorting. Most BA iems would give you the separation and detail. I reckon everything else is about different colours and how 'warm' it sounds. I'm a fan of flat sounding iems (though the JH16 isn't) and the HF5 does it for me. Of course, that's assuming you have high quality files and a decent source. :D

The HF5 is basically the ER4p/s without the hand matching of drivers. According to Ety, the ER4p/s is 7% more accurate. $100 more for the 7%? I didn't think so.

yuck the harpsichord is one of the main reasons i cannot stand baroque

Feb 12, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #22 of 48
Did you try the IE80 (or IE8) for classical music and how that compare to these IEM's you mentioned? I have the IE80 and feel it's great for classical music with the big sound stage, clarity and separation. The mids and lowers are excellent and the trebles are silky smooth. Maybe too warm and laid back for others, but I really enjoy it for long hrs of classical music without fatigue.

Feb 12, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #27 of 48
I have found the HF5s to sound excellent on Shostakovich and Mahler, but I think you may struggle to find an IEM which can truly do Wagner justice- here HD600s are much more fun!

I should mention, though, that the HF5s are quite amp-sensitive.

Feb 12, 2012 at 7:32 AM Post #28 of 48
Surprisingly no one mentioned anything about Ortofon e-Q7
confused.gif

Yes budget wise this top 350 but if to look closely one can find it for under 300
a cheaper  alternative is e-Q5 for under 250us
This babies were designed in mind for Classical music...  Check it out

Feb 12, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #29 of 48
HF5, I believe that this will be my choice for my budget.

another question: I have portable headphones, such as: senn.HD25, Bayer dt 1350,and V80,
the question is: in a hypothetical classification, which are placed the IEMS as HF5 between these?

I mean the sound quality and power.
Sry for my bad language ,i'm Italian

EDITI own a couple of "Sennheiser CX400 II", the sound is great, but I want something more powerful.
You think the  155 that will spend the HF5, justify the purchase?

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #30 of 48

Quote:
I have found the HF5s to sound excellent on Shostakovich and Mahler, but I think you may struggle to find an IEM which can truly do Wagner justice- here HD600s are much more fun!
I should mention, though, that the HF5s are quite amp-sensitive.

HD600s are pretty awesome. But you'll need a medium-to-high end amplifier to even bring those babies to life. They are also about 3.5x the price :p
Hifiman HE6 are my dream cans!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back