IEM for classical music fanatic
Jan 4, 2012 at 11:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

kshuihu

New Head-Fier
Hello all!

I am looking to buy an IEM now that I've realized how important portability is for gear (since my over-ear + amp are not terribly convenient to lug around).

I'm a bit vague on my budget. I'd prefer to stay at $200 max, although I'll push a little higher if it's REALLY worth it.

So far I've seen recommendations for the Klipsch X10, Etymotic HF5, Ultimate Ears TF10, and (scouring the classifieds on this forum), Monster Turbine Pro Copper. 

Before I make such a big investment (I'm a college student, so $200 is quite a bit for me), I'd like to know your opinions.

I've played classical music for almost my whole life, and it makes up literally 99.9% of what I listen to, if not more. I listen to solo and orchestral music, usually from the Romantic period onward (no Baroque listening). 

I will primarily be using an iPod nano or my laptop with a Fiio E7 DAC/AMP. 

I don't really know anything about my ear canal shape/size, since this is my first time spending more than $2 on an IEM. Nobody has ever told me I have particularly large or small ear canals, so... yeah... but comfort is a very important factor for me, since I may be listening for hours at a time. 

I do appreciate bass, but as a classical listener, accuracy is the most important factor in terms of sound quality.

Your help is greatly appreciated! As a music-lover who has only recently peeked into the audiophile world, I'm very impressed and admire your work on these forums :)

Jan 5, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #3 of 48
What were you listening before if it was < $2? More specifically, was it an earbud ,and if it was, how comfortable are you with a something inside your ear? 

If accuracy is the most important element in an IEM, you can scratch off the UE 700, X10, and the triplefi.10.  The HF5 is a good bet as well as the top end etys i.e ER4P/T.  There's one or two available in the forums for under $200 if you don't mind second hand.  The MTPC is also good, but if you want long term durability, look else where.  The hifiman RE252/262 should satisfy your taste and then some.

Jan 5, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #4 of 48
I just used cheap apple earbuds incl in the box. I use earplugs, and am quite comfortable with them, although they are foam and not triple-flange or anything. What do you think about the senn ie8?

Thanks so much for your help so far!

Jan 5, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #5 of 48
Another member will need to chime in on the IE8 with your specific taste of music as I didn't care for the overall sound because it sounded too artificially wide and is the only IEM that gave me a headache after 15 minutes of listening after the initial "wow" sensation that comes and goes.

IMO, the Westone 4 is good with pretty much most types of music except for rap/hiphop/ and some heavy metal, but those are at least double your asking price. 

Jan 5, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #6 of 48
The meelectronics cc51 looks very interesting for around $50.  I have the JVC HAFXC80 ($32) and HafxC51($20) and am thinking about buying the cc51. all of these have a micro driver which is great for detail when playing classical music.
The HAFX80 sounds very open, almost like open Sennheisers, yet it isolates well. The cc51 also has a ceramic body which eliminates resonances. The Meelectronics CX21 for around $20 has great clarity and neutrality.

Imo you shouldn't spend more than around $50 on your first decent IEM. Once you are used to using it and enjoy using it,  then perhaps later you could get more expensive ones. Perhaps even $50 is too much to pay for your first decent iem, and the $20 meelectronics CX21 might be a good first one to buy.

Jan 5, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #7 of 48

Quote:
The meelectronics cc51 looks very interesting for around $50.  I have the JVC HAFXC80 ($32) and HafxC51($20) and am thinking about buying the cc51. all of these have a micro driver which is great for detail when playing classical music.
The HAFX80 sounds very open, almost like open Sennheisers, yet it isolates well. The cc51 also has a ceramic body which eliminates resonances. The Meelectronics CX21 for around $20 has great clarity and neutrality.

Imo you shouldn't spend more than around $50 on your first decent IEM. Once you are used to using it and enjoy using it,  then perhaps later you could get more expensive ones. Perhaps even $50 is too much to pay for your first decent iem, and the $20 meelectronics CX21 might be a good first one to buy.

CC51 is horrible for classical...  Really?  They have extremely recessed mid-range (ok, maybe a small overstatement).  Nonetheless, recessed mid-range = bad for classical. 

Jan 5, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #8 of 48
At the current street price of only $60, the Ety MC5 becomes a value proposition that's hard to ignore. As a dedicated classical musician and listener I continue to be very satisfied with their balanced, natural sound (with the triflanges) after a year and a half of use. 

Jan 5, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #9 of 48
Owning the Turbine Pro Coppers, I can say that there are probably better alternatives if you're looking for accuracy and balance.  They excel at rock, with a deep bass extension and warm sound.  If you appreciate precision, you might need something a bit colder and more analytical.

The treble is also a bit harsh, even after burn-in.

Jan 5, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #10 of 48

Quote:
At the current street price of only $60, the Ety MC5 becomes a value proposition that's hard to ignore. As a dedicated classical musician and listener I continue to be very satisfied with their balanced, natural sound (with the triflanges) after a year and a half of use. 

Another option is the Etymotic EtyKids which retain the Ety sound with slightly better impact and body (slight loss of texture though :frowning2:). 

Jan 6, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #12 of 48
I was looking at the Ety MC5, however I was scared off when I saw how low ranked it was in this chart. Do you think there is any merit in any of the undesirable charachteristics he attributed to it? Little bass, bad sibilance, and bad dynamics? I guess opinions on it can differ greatly, and bass is so dependant on fit.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15243

Jan 6, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #13 of 48

Quote:
I was looking at the Ety MC5, however I was scared off when I saw how low ranked it was in this chart. Do you think there is any merit in any of the undesirable charachteristics he attributed to it? Little bass, bad sibilance, and bad dynamics? I guess opinions on it can differ greatly, and bass is so dependant on fit.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15243

It's been called "dry" and "boring" on many occasions.  Try the EtyKids.

Jan 6, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #14 of 48

Quote:
It's been called "dry" and "boring" on many occasions.  Try the EtyKids.

But rarely by people whose primary interest is classical music and who want neutral sound that stays out of the way.

As far as I can tell EtyKids appears to be almost the same phone with a volume limiter- which would be a bad thing for classical music, with its wide dynamic range.

Jan 6, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #15 of 48

Quote:
But rarely by people whose primary interest is classical music and who want neutral sound that stays out of the way.

As far as I can tell EtyKids appears to be almost the same phone with a volume limiter- which would be a bad thing for classical music, with its wide dynamic range.

Another person with the assumption?  It's not the same phone, they don't even use the same driver... The signature is closer to the HF5s, with slightly harsher highs (unless they settle down after 300+ hours) but punchier lows with a slight body boost.  I honestly have no idea why people assume these things...  It's like saying every Brainwavz IEM that's a dynamic will sound the same which obviously isn't true...  Just because Etymotic released one IEM that may not have been the favorite doesn't mean they can't learn from it and release something that's better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back