IEM Fit Question (Westone ES5)
Feb 23, 2012 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

JulesK

Head-Fier

Hello - I'm new to this forum but have been reading it for a while.  I recently received a Westone ES5, which was fitted by my audiologist.  I'm partially deaf and wanted something that would cut down on ambient noise as much as possible so I would not need to turn up the volume much.

My question is how do you know that the fit is correct?  This is my first custom IEM.  When my audiologist did the impression, she had me hold my mouth open as wide as possible the whole time.  The fit is fine in the sense that there are no "hot spots", and the soft canal material Westone uses is quite nice.  But my ear certainly feels very full, but the IEM very tolerable (even comfortable) for long periods (2-3 hours).  I can't break the seal no matter what I do (short of physically pulling on the top of my ear and twisting it out).  On the other hand, the IEM doesn't seem to "snap" into place as others have described, although once in, it's solidly in.

Any thoughts?  I guess I'm just a little paranoid as I really have nothing to compare this to. 

Many thanks in advance.

Feb 23, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #2 of 3
Sounds like you're just paranoid mate.

When I talk about "snapping" into place, it's that clear feeling you get when you insert them and turn them so that they fit the ear canal. You can sort of feel once they've been turned enough, and they'll "slide" right in.

If they aren't uncomfortable and you're not able to break the seal, youre probably fine.

Feb 23, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #3 of 3
Stall - Many thanks for the response. I'll keep using them but leave the fit as is unless something unforseen develops.  It certainly "snaps" into place the way you describe, and the sound isolation really is something.  (Sounds is great, too, but if if hadn't been, I'd have been quite upset given the cost.)  I have a 90-day remold warranty, which I thought was very generous.

Another question - Because I wear hearing aids, I have a little powered dehumidifier that basically zaps them with a UV light and then blows warm air over them for something like 6 hours.  Westone actually sells this model on their website.  Does anyone have a view as to whether you're supposed to remove the cords first?  Seems like it would be a lot of wear on the connection, and cords are relatively cheap to replace, so I would lean against doing that.

Again, thanks for your comments!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back