IEM/Earbud Recommendation for iPod Touch
Jun 24, 2008 at 12:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Three

New Head-Fier
Budget up to around $200, but less is best. I'm not looking for extreme detail here, just something pleasant for walking to and fro class/places. I like bass, or a "full" sound, I dislike an overly forward presentation. It would be nice if I still had some ability to hear the outside world, but ultimately the level of isolation is not a big concern. Don't want to mess with an amp. My musical tastes are pretty varied; electro, folk, classic rock, classical, jazz, metal, lots of indy pop/rock, etc, etc. No country. My main home 'phones are Sennheiser HD650's, which I love. And that's all the info I can think of to help with the suggestions.

Just from browsing the forum I'm almost sold on the Future Sonics Atrio M5, but here are some others I've been looking at:
Sennheiser CX 300 (not a big fan of the connector)
Sennheiser CX 95
Yuin pk2
V-moda Vibe (Love the look, but I've read soooo many bad things about the durability)
Jays D-jays
Ultimate Ears Super.Fi.3
Ultimate Ears Super.Fi.5 EB
Shure SE110
Shure SE210

What do you think? Suggestions on where to buy (I'm in Canada) would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jun 24, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #2 of 22
With that budget, Ultimate Ears or Shure should work. Maybe look into Etymotic. They get alot of love on this forum as well.

I'm not sure about the V-moda. I haven't seen too much mention fo them here. Seems like a hint...

If isolation isn't a big concern, that may make selection easier since sometimes the isolation isn't as great as expected.

FWIW, I used a cheap-o pair of JVC marshmellows when I walked around my campus and even with lots of noise I still had good isolation. So I'd expect a much hieger-end pair to work even better.

Jun 24, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #3 of 22
How about the Westone UM1's? They are very highly regarded on this site, and you can pick them up for about $100. As for the v-moda's, I would stay away from them. They do break easily.

Jun 24, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #5 of 22
If you want to stick to a lower budget, the Westone UM1s are your best bet. Can be bought new for $110 or used for around $80. Some of the only headphones worth their new price, in my opinion.

If you can raise it slightly (to about $120-130 used), SF5Ps are good and Etymotic ER-4Ps are much better, though it might depend on what sound you're after.

If you can go all the way to $200, you can find used UM2s at that price.

Jun 24, 2008 at 6:18 AM Post #6 of 22
If you want detail, the super.fi EB's might not be the best for that. You might want want to consider the 5 Pro's if you are leaning towards UE.

Jun 24, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #7 of 22
Hmm, now I'm thinking either UM1 or RE2 (leaning towards RE2 for reasons of bass) and possibly SF5P or SA6 if I feel like spending. Utmost detail is not my greatest concern for this application. I want something with punch and a full sound.

Michael M, you carry the v-moda vibes, can you comment on them?

Jun 25, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #9 of 22
Denon C551 for $68 at amazon. Amazingly cheap yet good sounding canal phone. Easily driven by Ipod Touch (using 1 myself), good bass even at flat EQ.

Jun 25, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #10 of 22
The Denon C551 look interesting, but I don't think they will ship to Canada. I'm kind of caught up between the SF5P, SA6 and SE310 right now. And I'm starting to wander outside of my budget, haha. I knew that would happen.
frown.gif

Jun 25, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #11 of 22
SF5p will be my recommendation though the fit might be an issue. Fit differs from person to person but if you could get a great seal then the SF5p would be ideal.

Jun 25, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Three /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Michael M, you carry the v-moda vibes, can you comment on them?

I personally have not listened to the v-moda vibes yet but from my understanding they are heavy in bass.

Jun 26, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #14 of 22
I have the PK2's and love them, they are very comfortable and provide good sound.

Jun 26, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #15 of 22
I'm not sure about the Klipsch, but I was in a similar search as yours and ended up just ordering the Super.fi 5 pros. From what I've read you can even get the Shure olive foamies on them for comfort. They seem to be highly regarded a great value for price. I got mine for 189.99 and 20% cashback brand new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back