IEM decision making.
Jun 5, 2008 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

crazylazybum

New Head-Fier
Hola folks,

As I near my 17th birthday, I find myself wishing for what any rational 17 year-old would want; a decent set of IEM's. I've used both Shure's E2C's & two pairs of V-Moda Vibes. Being a teenager, I much preferred the powerful bass of the Vibes. I returned the Shures, only to have my Vibes die out three months later due to their cables. I bought a second pair, & they too have died out because of faulty cables.

As much as I liked the bass from my vibes, I wouldn't have minded additional mids & highs, & that is why I have come here. I'm looking for an IEM with some serious bass & also decent mids & highs. I'm currently looking at several models:

Q-Jays: They look so dang cool, however, I hear that their bass may not satisfy me. They do have possibly the best in-box accessories, though.

Sennheiser CX500's/ CX95's: From what I hear, they have the same bass that I love plus more refined mids & highs. There are two problems though, first, the internet is full of knock-off versions of the 500's, & being from America as I am, it is almost impossible to find a domestic vendor that carries either model.

Future Sonic's Atrio: Not a ton of info on these available, though they do seem to fit my needs pretty well.

UE Super.fi 5 EB: I'm leaning towards these right now. Sounds like they have much better bass then my vibes & even better highs & mids. Plus, after my disaster with the Vibes' cables, the idea of a replaceable cable sounds pretty good...

Aside from outstanding bass, my only other requirement is that they stay in during running. I'm not fashion conscious, so the uglier the better. My budget is about $180. Please tell me which one of the above IEM's is the best, or if you know of something even better, please tell me.

Gracias!

Jun 5, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #3 of 8
The Senn CX500's are on sale right now at J&R.com, and they are authorized dealers. That would be the way to go if you want those. Haven't heard your choices as our needs for IEMs are a bit different (you'd probably hate the Etys, for example). The Senns are a good buy.

Jun 5, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #5 of 8
Yeah, Etys don't exactly fit my bass-loving needs. I found the cx500's on JR.com, but they're at list price. (119.99$) You can get them for less on amazon but I hear rumors that amazon has been known to sell knock-offs...

Jun 6, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #6 of 8
Consider Super.fi 5 Pros as well. The EBs are commonly thought to have enormously too much bass. I've never heard them, but I used to own the Super.fi 5 Pros and they had a heck of a lot of bass. I can't imagine needing more unless you're looking for that all-subwoofer bad car stereo sound.
tongue.gif

Jun 6, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #8 of 8
The Atrios aren't available from as many sources as other earphones are, but I found them well worth the effort to order them (I got them through roaddog, a highly reputable vendor). The Atrios should suit your sonic preferences -- and then some. Haven't used them for running, though, so I can't comment on that (I love foamies, which seem to stay put very well in the ear, but some people say foamies aren't ideal for perspiration-inducing activity).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back