IEM choice $400
Dec 17, 2009 at 11:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

RoBune

New Head-Fier
Hi, am looking to buy my 1st serious pair of IEMs. My budget max is £250/$400. What I am seeking is something with a solid build quality which wont break (which makes me doubtful about the RE0s) and can give me great bass quality as I listen to a lot of dark drum'n'bass, dub-reggae and metal (This doubts Sennheisers IE8s aswell).

Now I was looking at Future Sonics Atrio M5s for £95 which seem to have a good quality bass, for what seems some sacrifice of clarity and detail at the treble range.

However given the age of these IEMs coming up to nearly 3 years, would I be better off getting a more modern IEM for what is possibly double the price for slightly better sound? Or better off getting what seems to me from my research a nearly faultless pair of older ones?

Any recommendations and advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Dec 17, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #5 of 20
IE8. If you have Atrios in your sights, then it is advisable that you go for IE8 instead. It will be an overall improvement.

Cables are one of the better ones plus replacable.
Only issue is the fit, and I resolve mine by using Audio technica silicon eartips.

Dec 17, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #7 of 20
Another vote for the IE8. A very robustly built IEM. I listen to a bit of metal and a lot of dance hall and dub reggae music, and enjoy them immensely with the IE8.

Dec 17, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #10 of 20
dang r the IE8's that good? i mean i havent tried them out but i figured that someone would choose a balanced armature vs dynamic. maybe its just a personal preference.

Dec 17, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #11 of 20
that kind of cash, iE8 is the obvious choise
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 17, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #12 of 20
If you want awesome bass + great everything else, there is a better option in that price range - Ortofon e-Q7.
smily_headphones1.gif
It has the best bass I've heard in an IEM so far - very tight, deep, punchy and linear. It also has great midrange and very good treble. The build quality is top notch. IE8 has too much upper bass in comparison, while the Atrios are no match for the Ortofon in mids and treble quality.

You can buy one here on ebay. That's where I got mine. The seller is just awesome. Shipped them out to me with EMS express shipping service included in the price. I got it in two days!
biggrin.gif
You can avoid bidding - just contact the seller and chances are he will just sell a pair to you straight away. They seem to have many in stock in different colors.

Dec 17, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #14 of 20
While the IE8s are you answer, the Atrios are not inferior phones by any means. Since I got the Atrios, I've stopped shopping for mid-priced, bass-biased phones.

Dec 17, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want awesome bass + great everything else, there is a better option in that price range - Ortofon e-Q7.
smily_headphones1.gif
It has the best bass I've heard in an IEM so far - very tight, deep, punchy and linear. It also has great midrange and very good treble. The build quality is top notch. IE8 has too much upper bass in comparison, while the Atrios are no match for the Ortofon in mids and treble quality.

x2 on the e-Q7, I'd recommend the IE8 over the e-Q7 only if you have a source with high quality equalizer (think Rockbox) to tame the IE8s upper bass. Otherwise the deep bass will be buried under too much upper bass which is something you don't want with drum'n'bass and dub-reggae.

x2 also on the Atrios subpar mids and treble. The Cyclone PR2 would be a better choice in that price range, plus it has the best quality bass of all dynamic IEMs I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back