IEM advice.
Mar 17, 2015 at 6:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

pwiles1968

Head-Fier
Looking to get a decent IEM, I already have an old pair of sure E2c, and some Klipsh 11i, Love the comfort of the Sure when traveling, the 11s are fine for work but I fint than I prefer the sound overall of my over ear AKG K551, i don't like the 11s for long flights due to the shape i can not put my head on a pillow comfortably with them in, although I could always use my E2 for this.

Im looking for something that has a similar signature to the 551 or Sennheiser HD600 I used some of these recently and liked them.

Im looking for something i can get in the UK, do not want to spend a fortune, Like the look of the Shure SE425 not had a chance to listen to them, any other suggestions around that price point, the 425 are about £200 in the UK.

Mar 17, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #2 of 15
The Shure SE425's are a great choice if you love vocals. All the IEMs I have auditioned under $300 do not do male vocals as good as the SE425's. It is predominantly a mid-centric IEM with great texture, forwardness, and detail in the vocals. Because of this, the SE425 does lack quite a bit in the treble department and is extremely rolled off for an IEM at this price point. The bass is good but nothing special, lots of people complain that these are bass shy but I find that the quantity of bass is more than enough for me. 

Mar 18, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #3 of 15
  The Shure SE425's are a great choice if you love vocals. All the IEMs I have auditioned under $300 do not do male vocals as good as the SE425's. It is predominantly a mid-centric IEM with great texture, forwardness, and detail in the vocals. Because of this, the SE425 does lack quite a bit in the treble department and is extremely rolled off for an IEM at this price point. The bass is good but nothing special, lots of people complain that these are bass shy but I find that the quantity of bass is more than enough for me. 

I Should have said I love Vocals and acoustic instruments, I am not a Bass head the 551 is fine for my needs, unfortunately something I like is good detail in the top end, I definitely not a fan of bright music but like what the 551 and HD500 bring to music,  for example I love momentums but would not purchase due to the rolled off top end when compared to the 500, would you say the 425 falls in this category ?

Mar 18, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #4 of 15
I Should have said I love Vocals and acoustic instruments, I am not a Bass head the 551 is fine for my needs, unfortunately something I like is good detail in the top end, I definitely not a fan of bright music but like what the 551 and HD500 bring to music,  for example I love momentums but would not purchase due to the rolled off top end when compared to the 500, would you say the 425 falls in this category ?

The 425s do vocals superbly. however, the high end completely falls face down. It lacks the sparkle and is quite supressed making detail retrieval hard to find in the treble.

Mar 18, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #5 of 15
I would have to agree the se535 is a good iem I have owned it however it's kind of a all a rounder iem because the vocals are good the mids are good then the highs are not there I would almost say dark. So it's a good iem for one purpose then it doesn't seem to complete the picture imo. I was displeased with it even for its price range just because of its lack of tonal coherence to put the low mids and highs to form one. To me that wasn't pleasing ymmv

Mar 18, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #7 of 15

Sparkle is an excellent descriptor for what I am after, looks like the Shure may not be for me.

if you wanted to stick with shure the se535 japanese have great sparkle, but they arent that cheap, the se535 do have sparkle no matter what people say IF you have the right rig BUT it will run you even more money so i dont think that is a option.

Mar 18, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #8 of 15
Dont need to stick with shure would like a comfortable IEM with smooth but detailed presentation around £200 mark, I do go to US once or twice a year so could shop there don't mind waiting.

I have an oppo HA-2 as main DAC Amp now. actually enjoying the 11i from the HA but think I can do better.

Apr 27, 2015 at 3:45 AM Post #9 of 15
I was at the airport last week and managed to try some 425 they actually opened a box for me so they were unused which was not great, I had a 15+ minute listening session, but by 5 minutes I had already made up my mind.......      These are amazing :)

I have not compared in a quiet area against my X11i but I did a  quick back to back with my K551 and tonally they are similar lows are not overblown they are really tight, highs are all there for me, the difference is the vocals. to me the 425 just have more around the vocals clarity detail they make the performer sound more 3 dimensional and I really liked my 551 as well. 

As far as sound stage for in ears these are pretty wide, not as wide as the 551 if I am honest but it is the depth that does it the 425 are deeper (front to back stage) and it is more layered every vocal and instrument has separation.

Just for reference purposes I spent a lot of time wit the AKG 551 comparing to Sennheiser HD600 (I have some at work) and to me they are similar, I think I prefer the 600 in a quiet environment but it is so close that I could not tell you exactly why, I will try 600 v 425 some time but do expect my impressions to be the same as those above.

All of my listening was done with Oppo HA2 fed by iPod Classic playing ALAC files now my portable setup is complete :) will post images later.

So I had no need to worry about roll-off on the highs - if you want to hear treble roll-off listen to some Momentums ....

Apr 27, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #10 of 15
I was at the airport last week and managed to try some 425 they actually opened a box for me so they were unused which was not great, I had a 15+ minute listening session, but by 5 minutes I had already made up my mind.......      These are amazing :)

I have not compared in a quiet area against my X11i but I did a  quick back to back with my K551 and tonally they are similar lows are not overblown they are really tight, highs are all there for me, the difference is the vocals. to me the 425 just have more around the vocals clarity detail they make the performer sound more 3 dimensional and I really liked my 551 as well. 

As far as sound stage for in ears these are pretty wide, not as wide as the 551 if I am honest but it is the depth that does it the 425 are deeper (front to back stage) and it is more layered every vocal and instrument has separation.

Just for reference purposes I spent a lot of time wit the AKG 551 comparing to Sennheiser HD600 (I have some at work) and to me they are similar, I think I prefer the 600 in a quiet environment but it is so close that I could not tell you exactly why, I will try 600 v 425 some time but do expect my impressions to be the same as those above.

All of my listening was done with Oppo HA2 fed by iPod Classic playing ALAC files now my portable setup is complete :) will post images later.

So I had no need to worry about roll-off on the highs - if you want to hear treble roll-off listen to some Momentums ....

Completely agree with you on the mids. Bass is quite tight and well controlled albeit slightly more midbass than sub-bass perhaps because of the warm midrange of the 425s. The treble falls flat on its face imo for the 425s... really lacks sparkle and energy.

Apr 28, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #11 of 15
Completely agree with you on the mids. Bass is quite tight and well controlled albeit slightly more midbass than sub-bass perhaps because of the warm midrange of the 425s. The treble falls flat on its face imo for the 425s... really lacks sparkle and energy.

Sparkle is something I love in HP, that was why I like the 551 over so many other options, I do not get a lack with the 551, if there is something missing I am not getting it, maybe im so focused on the Lush mids and vocals that it does not matter but that are not dull, that is why listening is SO important, everyone looks for different things, for me at the moment 425 are my favorite HP

Apr 28, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #13 of 15
Nice one the 425s are my daily driver. I'm using them with an iPod classic and an E12. How do you like the setup with the Oppo HA2? I'm seriously considering replacing the E12 with it.

Apr 28, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #15 of 15
I have not gone back and listened against my CMoy I find SQ to be good, and it is really flexible taking iPod in as well as analogue and PC, so Is ideally suited to portable use. Never use the Bass Boost but if you like that it isa good addition and I also currently have no need for the High Gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back