IEM >$50 are nonsensical
Sep 12, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #16 of 26
Sep 12, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #17 of 26

Quote:
I compared my apple dual driver iems (purchase price: $36) to Sennheiser HD201's today. 

The Apple is actually better overall in terms of clarity and instrument texture. 

But -- b/c they're IEM's, they are more uncomfortable to use since there is pressure on the inside of your ears, and compared to OTE headphones something is lost by not using the rest of the ear's apparatus for listening. 

And, since they use smaller drivers, for price/cost they can't touch full-size headphones, and frankly, the higher quality will be lost anyways when you consider that these types of headphones are used primarily on the go out in the world where, after a point, the noise gets in the way of any additional clarity. 

In-fact, the apple in-ears falter a little bit IRL b/c they don't have overpowering bass to help drown out the surrounding environments, even though in quiet situations they prove themselves to be very nuanced. 

Add to the fact that IEM's are on a whole more fragile, and paying more than $50 for a pair of IEM's is a waste. 

Well, that specific example it may have panned out but your logic is quite flawed.  Why would anyone buy a smart phone and pay $80 a month fee when you can do so much more with a laptop?  Because of portability and mobility. That's what IEM's are for.  Even still, a higher end universal or custom will surely compete head to head with a similarly priced headphone.  Ask anyone that owns a W3, W4 or JH16 or ES5.

Fragile?  I suspect I'd have a failure on a headphone while working before a set of IEM's.  Easily....
For my listening habits it would be a colossal waste of money to buy a headphone.

Sep 12, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #18 of 26

Quote:
Most reputable companies have this thing called a warranty. It's kinda useful.

really?? wow thanks.

It took me over a month to get my second pair of PL-50s under warranty. they also are generally only for one year.

My backups are Koss because of their lifetime warranty.

Sep 12, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #23 of 26

Quote:
This is what happens when you listen to Apple gear for too long
popcorn.gif

tr00f

Sep 12, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #24 of 26

Quote:
I compared my apple dual driver iems (purchase price: $36) to Sennheiser HD201's today. 

The Apple is actually better overall in terms of clarity and instrument texture. 

But -- b/c they're IEM's, they are more uncomfortable to use since there is pressure on the inside of your ears, and compared to OTE headphones something is lost by not using the rest of the ear's apparatus for listening. 

And, since they use smaller drivers, for price/cost they can't touch full-size headphones, and frankly, the higher quality will be lost anyways when you consider that these types of headphones are used primarily on the go out in the world where, after a point, the noise gets in the way of any additional clarity. 

In-fact, the apple in-ears falter a little bit IRL b/c they don't have overpowering bass to help drown out the surrounding environments, even though in quiet situations they prove themselves to be very nuanced. 

Add to the fact that IEM's are on a whole more fragile, and paying more than $50 for a pair of IEM's is a waste. 

1) You tried 1 IEM versus 1 over the ear. Not enough for a decent comparison.
2) To be used in those noisy environments, nothing beats an IEM. Especially with good tips. Or a custom.
3) Can be kept away in a bag without being damaged.
4) I don't know about fragile, my RE-Zeros are made of metal. The HD201 are plastic, right?
5) Of course they don't have much bass, they're balanced-armatures. They're not made for bass, they're made for realistic detailed sound.

Sep 12, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #25 of 26
subscribed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back