IEM <$100 for everyday electronic listening
Mar 3, 2017 at 7:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

TechGuy10

New Head-Fier
Budget - AUD$100 or less (Some room for extra price)

Source - Samsung Galaxy S7, School MacBook Air 13 (****ty dac)

Requirements for Isolation - Will be using on public transport (buses), travelling and noisy classrooms, however provided I cannot hear them over the music it doesn't bother me.

Preferred Type of Headphone - Looking for a pair of IEMs which I can leave in my pocket (in a case) throughout the day and pull out when I need.

Preferred tonal balance - Looking for something with a warm/bassy signature

Past headphones - Sennheiser MM30i, MM70s (both good sound signatures (balanced, slightly punchy base, didn't like the poor durability) Desktop pick (for gaming) ATH-M50x

Preferred Music - I listen to Electronic in multiple forms (Chillout, trance, occasional house, drum & bass, The Glitch Mob, Deadmau5, Pendulum) and some pop. Will also add that I often use them for listening to podcasts (primarily male voices), though it's hard for an expensive pair to make podcasts sound bad.

Location - I'm shopping from Australia so look at StaticIce or ShopBot if you really need price comparisons. Otherwise, most of the stores shown there are kinda untrustworthy so just provide Amazon pricing if that's easier.

Further, have been looking at the SE215s from Shure but I'd want to buy an inline control and microphone. My mate has been, 'persistently' recommending the Sennheiser Momentum In-Ears which, to my ears at least, feel overpoweringly bass driven. Any advice is appreciated, I will ensure to get some time to listen to his for an extended period in order to understand the sound signature before I commit to the idea.
I've already received advice from Reddit but I wanted to get a second opinion. I'd kinda prefer something that I can get under $100 but if I can find something that will work longer term (1.5+ years) then I'd be happy to spend extra money. The recommendations I've received so far are the above mentioned recommendation from my mate and that of people from r/Headphones on reddit (Shure SE215, RHA MA750 and 1More Triples).

Thanks!

Mar 3, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #2 of 13
As of a day ago I was in the same boat as you, and I ended up going with the 1MORE E1001s (AKA Triples).  I was also looking at the Shure 215s, Klipsch R6is and X6is, and others.  I allllmost went with the X6is (the black ones are on sale at Amazon for 118USD) but after reading a few more reviews I ended up with the 1MOREs.  I haven't received them yet, but should get them this weekend with enough time to allow for burn-in before I use them at work on Monday.  I'm cautiously optimistic about my purchase.  =) 

(I personally hate in-line controls.  It's just added weight for something I don't use... but the X6is also have them, though they have a less bassy signature which is actually what I prefer.)

Mar 3, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #3 of 13
Save around $80 and get the vivo ex800 that cost $20, they are basically the gr07 BE that cost $120

Or the 4 in 1 they both outperform almost all $100 iem and can hold up to $300 iem.

But be carful there are a lot of fake vivo

Mar 3, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #4 of 13
But be carful there are a lot of fake vivo

Why would people make a fake $20 headphone?

Quote:
Save around $80 and get the vivo ex800 that cost $20, they are basically the gr07 BE that cost $120

I might have to check them out when I'm shopping for another throw away set.  Though the one review I read about these (on here) says they're a bit light in the bass, they might not be what the OP is looking for.

Mar 3, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #5 of 13
Why would people make a fake $20 headphone?
I might have to check them out when I'm shopping for another throw away set.  Though the one review I read about these (on here) says they're a bit light in the bass, they might not be what the OP is looking for.

Because they are that good, they use the same driver from the gr07 BE on the VIVIO. Why do you think there's a lot of fake pistons 2

Mar 3, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #6 of 13
Because they are that good, they use the same driver from the gr07 BE on the VIVIO. Why do you think there's a lot of fake pistons 2

That doesn't make sense.  At the $20 tag you can just make a normal headphone.  Making a fake $1000 IEM makes sense.  I don't think there's a lot of fake pistons 2.  I don't know what a pistons 2 is to think anything about them.

Mar 3, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #7 of 13
That doesn't make sense.  At the $20 tag you can just make a normal headphone.  Making a fake $1000 IEM makes sense.  I don't think there's a lot of fake pistons 2.  I don't know what a pistons 2 is to think anything about them.

Because in Asia everybody has a pair of pistons 2. When I went to Korea everybody either had the LG quadbeat or the pistons 2. I rarely saw anybody with apple earpod and that's like the apple ear pod in Asia

That's like asking why do people make fake apple ear pod when you can make $1000 headphone?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/820747/chinese-asian-brand-info-thread-portable-headphones-and-iems/6390#post_13309994

You can read about the vivo ex800. They are basically the pricier gr07 BE for $20 or the **** 4 in 1 and they are pretty bassy.

Mar 3, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #8 of 13
That's like asking why do people make fake apple ear pod when you can make $1000 headphone?

Uh...  that's exactly the point.  Why make a fake $10 headphone when you can make a fake $1000 headphone?  You don't find counterfeit $20 purses...  you find counterfeit $3000 purses.

Mar 3, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #9 of 13
Uh...  that's exactly the point.  Why make a fake $10 headphone when you can make a fake $1000 headphone?  You don't find counterfeit $20 purses...  you find counterfeit $3000 purses.

Because there is a market for everything. the Apple EarPods are like $20 but there are fake ones still because they are popular. In china the Ex800 and the pistons are pretty popular I believe. The majority of the people don't know what is a $1000 headphone and they would rather make fake Beats then $1000 headphones.

They make fakes one depending on the popularity.

Mar 3, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #10 of 13
Because there is a market for everything. the Apple EarPods are like $20 but there are fake ones still because they are popular. In china the Ex800 and the pistons are pretty popular I believe. The majority of the people don't know what is a $1000 headphone is.

Fair enough.  I still think it's silly.   =) 
Like I said, I'll probably check them out when I'm in the market for a budget set again.

Mar 3, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #12 of 13
Another vote for the Triple Drivers here also. I dont consider them warm but by no means bright. I don't know your reference to say if they are bassy or not I think they do well in that department but I'm not a basshead so YMMV. I just think for the money they are very good sounding earphones.

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:01 AM Post #13 of 13
Hi all, thanks for your responses. I think it will be difficult for me to attain most of these pairs as I'm limited to stores which will give me local warranty. Also the pricing on the 1 More locally is about USD$30 more than they should be and far beyond my budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back