IE8's - Reply From Sennheiser Ref Fit
Feb 28, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #46 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With all due respect (and just to offer an alternative point of view so we can return to the main purpose of the thread), Sennheiser is not the government. They are not obligated to provide any certain type of product. They've put a product on the market and said, "If you want to buy this, here is what you get, and this is what it will cost." If people don't like it or it doesn't fit them, then they can buy something else.

...Their responsibility is to maximize profits for the shareholders of the company.
normal_smile .gif

I agree that companies put out their product and the buyer gets to choose, if they don't like it, they don't have to buy/keep it. Heck, I even agree that a company doesn't need to offer good customer service or care. Some do, some don't. It depends upon corporate culture and goals (such as profit or loyalty or growing market share).

I wrote to Sennheiser mainly because my nozzle came off and since I was writing to them, I figures why not inquire about tips. I do think the person that responded to me didn't offer a great solution in my eyes. If I was the product manager, I would have made more than 1 suggestion in various price ranges vs. one solution that cost $150+.

Here are two quotes I think are somewhat relevant:
"The cost of fixing the wrong, making amends, making it right, creating a memorable recovery, and adding (giving) something unexpected to the customer is ALWAYS less than the cost of an upset customer and a negative story about you that is told for years."

"Profit in business comes from repeat customers, customers that boast about your project or service, and that bring friends with them."

I am a tinkerer and have spent time to get a great seal trying all different things. I think the IE8s are a fantastic product for me, and I recommend them and rave about them; I wouldn't trade em for a W3!

So, that being said, if Sennheiser is going to look at this thread, and they may do something to help, then great. If not, I am fine. I actually hate to see people say that the IE8s don't have great bass, or the treble is rolled off, or anything else that I don't experience, because these are truly great in my eyes. So, if the people that aren't going to go the extra mile to get a great seal like myself can benefit, I am all for that, as I feel we are all here with the pursuit of listening pleasure.

Edit: And would a tip fit poll thread have suited this purpose better?

Feb 28, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #47 of 67
Just an update to my mod:

After 2 hours of listening to music with my mod, I noticed just the slightest hint of pressure in the deeper part of my ear canal. Mind you, I was still very comfortable. However, I wanted to tweak the mod further to see if I can get rid of that pressure. So, I replaced the stock foam tips with my de-cored Shure olives instead. The result was amazing: 1. the isolation became even better 2. it is even more comfortable than before.

In my first post, I stated that I felt the stock foams were more comfortable than the Shure olives on the IE8's tips. You see, that was prior to this mod. I was comparing the stock foam tips directly on the IE8 nozzle to the de-cored Shure olives directly on the IE8 nozzle. At that time, the tips did not go in as deep, so the stock foam tips' stiffness did not really come into play (for me anyway). However, with the tips now go in further, the Shure olives' softness is needed. Additionally, the Shure olives with the core from the IE30/Super.fi 5 pro's gray foam tips add a total of about 6mm to the tip (from the mesh of the nozzle). So, the tip goes in even further than the original mod by 2 to 3mm.
attachment.php

The bottom line is that the gray foam tips' core with the Shure olives give me exceptional isolation and comfort.

Make sure the olives are pulled down enough to cover over the entire added gray foam core.
attachment.php

Interestingly, I also find that the olives muffle the treble less than before perhaps due to the extra room inside the entire tip (from the mesh to the end of the olives).

Lastly, I have found a place that sells the UE replacement tips pack for 1/3 of the price listed on UE's site, and they have them in stock.

Mar 1, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #48 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hotdoggie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lastly, I have found a place that sells the UE replacement tips pack for 1/3 of the price listed on UE's site, and they have them in stock.

You gonna share?

Mar 1, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #49 of 67
Well, the site I found is a Canadian Web site and they sell that M-Audio assorted pack (exactly the same as UE's) for CAD$6.68 (but with tax and ground courier shipping, they would cost me about US$15) and they do have them in stock. I wish for low priced items like this they would just ship via the lowest priced postal service, but I guess they want to make sure both sides can track the parcel. The company's name is Axe Music by the way, and they have 1 store in Edmonton and 1 store in Calgary, Canada. I purchased my M-Audio IE30 from them. They are reputable, and my experience was a very good one.

The bad news, however, is that they only ship within Canada at the moment--and I don't think they are going to ship to the US any time soon (since they have that disclaimer for a very long time already, I just didn't recall that when I made the post).

So, sorry about getting people's hopes high. For Canadians, of course, it may still work out though!

Mar 1, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #50 of 67
Got the IE8s yesterday, and tried nearly all suplied tips. None of them gave a good fit; because these do not go in deep I need a large tip, my earcanals are larger at the opening, I suppose I'm far from alone in this.
Luckely the large tips that Sony supplies gives a very good and comfortable seal.

Edit: well, after more experimentation I found the large double flanges fit me perfectly.
So no complaints anymore.
Keep in mind that they are not ment to go deep into the earcanal, so as long as you got a seal it's ok.

Mar 1, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #51 of 67
After getting the IE8s, haven't got a good seal with any of the tips bundled, haven't resorted to using any other tips 'coz I don't have anything else ~ this was my first go at IEM, would be great if only had a good seal :/

Mar 1, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #52 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hotdoggie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the site I found is a Canadian Web site and they sell that M-Audio assorted pack..... high. For Canadians, of course, it may still work out though!

Thanks for the info. I found it after no using their search function.

Mar 1, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #53 of 67
Has anyone considered the ACS custom tips for IE8? ..its available.

i fixed a meeting with the dealer in singapore...going there this week for my IE7 (which they ll probably send to UK).

Mar 13, 2009 at 7:59 AM Post #54 of 67
I had another conversation with Sennheiser yesterday and Germany are taking the issue seriously.

I have spunked another £88 on Custom Sleeves as I just wasn't happy 100% happy with any tips. I'll post some pics when they get here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back