IE8's - Reply From Sennheiser Ref Fit
Feb 27, 2009 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67

SpudHarris

Headphoneus Supremus
I know there are a lot of people out there who like me have issue with isolation/fit of the IE8's. Well this is the thread we need to register specifically to show Sennheiser there is an issue.

I wrote to them recently and to my surprise I got a) an e-mail reply (see below) & b) a follow up phone call on my mobile from John Willet who is from ''Marketing and Technical Support''

e-mail from John:

Hi Nigel,

Your e-mail has been forwarded to me.

Please can you point me to these posts on Head-Fi that you are referring to, as I have only read praise for the IE8 on Head-Fi so far.

The IE8 Appreciation Thread has 148 pages and over 1,000 posts - I have not read it all, but have not found any complaints about the tips so far.

If you could please point me to these complaints I will make sure that the product manager knows about it and will come back to you with anything he has to say.

John

John is a member of Head-fi and has promised to address this issue with Germany but he couldn't find a specific Thread relating to this particular issue. I've seen loads of comments here and there but as they are fragmented across many post I thought we should register here for John to pick up on.

I told John I was doing this and to keep his eye out for it.....

No need for chapter and verse, just a short note from everyone with issue. I'll start it off

Problems getting satisfactory isolation and acoustic seal
Resorted to using Q-jay tips (large) better than stock tips but not as good as it should be. Even considering Custom Tips.

Feb 27, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #2 of 67
i think the fit issues with IE8 are somewhat common with IE7 also .mainly because the nozzle is too thick...although the isolation on IE7 is much better

Feb 27, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #3 of 67
Have you tried all the ways to fit the IE8? (also downwards or reversed) For me the big bi-flanges do the job perfectly.

Feb 27, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #4 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by R3SET /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried all the ways to fit the IE8? (also downwards or reversed) For me the big bi-flanges do the job perfectly.

I've tried all number of things except Customs (next on the list). Somone summed up my issue on a different thread, Its as if the tips just don't go far enough ''In''. I think for those of us that have the same issue Sennheiser should design like a ''Nozzle Extension'' (Can't believe I wrote that), then the bundled tips could be used.

There's no point denying there is a problem because so many people are using tips off other phones in th hope that they will get the same isolation and fit the other phones offer, hopefully if we can get this thread running Sennheiser will take it more seriously.

Feb 27, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #5 of 67
I'm achieving a consistently excellent seal and fit with my IE8's now with the hard foam tips bundled with em. However, isolation still leaves something to be desired, even so. There is outside noise attenuation but its relatively weak, even with a distinct seal.

Feb 27, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #6 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudHarris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know there are a lot of people out there who like me have issue with isolation/fit of the IE8's. Well this is the thread we need to register specifically to show Sennheiser there is an issue.

OK - I'm watching.

I will point Sennheiser Head Office to this thread so if you have any problems and/or suggestions they will see it.

But - please - don't fill this thread up with any off-topic stuff or it is unlikely to be read properly.

Cheers.

Feb 27, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #7 of 67
I also resort to other tips instead of those that came with.. I love my ie8 but would love if the nozzle were longer. I constantly feel like they are going to fall out once I start moving around. I use Ultimate ears medium and or modded shure foams to combat the falling out feeling. I can even live with how big the opening is...just wish the nozzle were longer. Thanks for listening.

Feb 27, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #8 of 67
I have to use the big bi-flanges, which are the only tips that give a decent seal but after some time they start to hurt my ears. All other tips do not give a good seal and thus the sound lacks bass which results in mediocre sound quality.
The other problem as Del Griffith already has described, is that (even with the big tips) it feels as if they were falling out any minute when moving around.
So, I have to constantly fiddle around with the phones in my ear which does not help the hurting either.
I haven't tried other tips, yet but hope that the fit problem can be solved with different tips (and it's not a matter of the overall design).

Feb 27, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #10 of 67
Mark, I spoke to the guy personally which I thought was great customer service. They are monitoring this thread now so hopefully they will develop something for the IE range like an extension tube for the nozzle.

Feb 27, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #11 of 67
I use the Large double flange and they fit like a glove. The key is to not push them in too far. they are comfy and sound great. Just dont push them in too far. Of course all ears are different. My two cents.

Feb 27, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #12 of 67
oh i agree thats good he spoke to you but im just surprised that he hasnt seen any complaints about the fit and the tips. there have been treads about fit problems and people not finding the supplied tips to be much use for a while now, since they where launched i think

Feb 27, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #13 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh i agree thats good he spoke to you but im just surprised that he hasnt seen any complaints about the fit and the tips. there have been treads about fit problems and people not finding the supplied tips to be much use for a while now, since they where launched i think

Ah well, everyone's ears are different :/ Luckily, I got a good fit with the small olives.

Feb 27, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #14 of 67
Problems:
-Driver housing interference with ears; causing shallow insert
-Fit kit could be better in Design& Engineer

Suggestions:
-all tips should come in 3 sizes
-Medium size could be a bit bigger

Solutions:
-wearing upside-down
-Large Bi-flange is the only tip works(since it's the biggest)
-nozzle extension would work.(few mm will do)

Other than this, This is one awesome IEM.

Feb 27, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #15 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by ottoyu34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Problems:
-Driver housing interference with ears; causing shallow insert
-Fit kit could be better in Design& Engineer

Suggestions:
-all tips should come in 3 sizes
-Medium size could be a bit bigger

Solutions:
-wearing upside-down
-Large Bi-flange is the only tip works(since it's the biggest)
-nozzle extension would work.(few mm will do)

Other than this, This is one awesome IEM.

Bi flange is definitely one of the larger ones, however they kinda irritate my ear and it's unplesent. Apparently asian ears are smaller, so hey I have asian ears. I have shallow canals as well. I also agree that all tips should come in 3+ sizes, especially the foam ones. But wearing them upside down is a bit odd for me. They just don't get a good seal and fall out, whilst wearing them with wire over ear is perfect for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back